Speculation Motown's hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Summer 2017 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price to pay for our shocking mistakes in the 2016 summer transfer window isn't just the waste of money which presumably the owners can afford-its the missed opportunity to advance the club's status and now leave us with our better players having tasted the big time wanting to move to bigger clubs.

Hindsight is a great thing. My view on things is it would've been better to let those who didn't want to stay leave last summer and rebuild a squad around committed players and a new style. We made the likes of Mahrez stay to make us look good. Last seasons carry on was a shambles but it didn't need to continue as one. We should have appointed a manager and more players should have been shipped out this summer and replacements brought in.

It is too easy to think that getting replacements in is as simple as just going to the football equivalent of Tescos where all the current players on contracts are sat on the shelves, and you just push your trolley along the aisles picking up the players you think you can afford when you haggle with the checkout operator at the end.

Legally, how does a club have to respond to a transfer request?

Obviously, the loyalty bonus disappears.

Can the club still refuse to sell if the offers are below their valuation?

Do they have to tell the players of all enquiries made for the player?

Maybe Drinkwater is throwing an 'Ulloa' to get a better contract.

To be honest I was annoyed at Drinkwater last season because all to often he would mess up, and then blame other players. He can be an excellent player when he wants to, but that sort of attitude can be poisonous.

We need a leader in the middle, Ibora would be the best option of the current squad (based on the fact he was captain at Sevilla) I can't think of a realistic signing that fits the bill.

It doesn't.

Obviously

Yes

No. Though in the modern age the player or his agent will have instigated contact with another club and/or approaches, illegal approaches, will already have been made to the player.

It is too easy to think that getting replacements in is as simple as just going to the football equivalent of Tescos where all the current players on contracts are sat on the shelves, and you just push your trolley along the aisles picking up the players you think you can afford when you haggle with the checkout operator at the end.

Who said it would be easy to do? It's probably easier than trying to motivate players who really don't want to play for us. It's easier throwing out the rotten veg and out of date products, sell/pass on anything you don't want that's of no use before you go and do a big shop. We've currently got Maguire at the front of the fridge with little room for anything to accompany him as we've no removed the festering rotten Drinkwater Crab that's at the back of the shelf.

All governed by the law of contract. Without seeing the contract it is hard for us to say.

If there is a release clause on a triggering event (such as the buying club paying a specific sum) then we likely would have a contractual obligation to sell.

If there is no such clause we don't have to sell.

So the player is no better off unless the player believes the club is turning down reasonable offers for him. Say if Chelsea offered £40million and the club said no?

So the player is no better off unless the player believes the club is turning down reasonable offers for him. Say if Chelsea offered £40million and the club said no?

The player may be better off that in telling the club he wants to go, he releases them from the requirement to pay anything further under his contract and it therefore means that the club will be more likely to release him from that contract.

If it saves the club some money, in terms of a "loyalty bonus", they may be willing to sell him for slightly less money.

I guess, as SilverFox says, it depends on what's drawn up in the contract. The club could refuse any offer if the player's under contract and there's no release clause.

Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier and more will tell him that youngsters get a chance and come through good at Spurs.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
He would still have to be patient though. Can't see him breaking into their current starting eleven any time soon.

Drinkwater, Musa, Benalouane, Mendy can go for me. They either want to go, or aren't good enough to play for the club at present.
it's gone quite on Mahrez but i'd expect everyone to take a punt at him including Liverpool and Arsenal if they lose players. The price could skyrocket if that happens.
If the first three go then we need to make good on our chase of Krcyhowiak and Gibson/Sakho or Evans -this would give us 2 players in every position and i'd be more than happy with the shape of our squad (save for Amartey/Knight being our only alternatives at RB)
IF we lose Mahrez aswell then we need to pull a MASSIVE rabbit out of a hat in the last 2 days of the window as only having Gray and Albrighton in wide areas as first choice is a lot different to having Mahrez and Albrighton with Gray and Musa in reserve. Townsend is an adequate impact sub to keep Gray honest - but you don't buy an impact sub for £24m when you are only getting £35 to 40 for Mahrez - that's ludicrous.
Sakho or Joe Gomez + Money if he goes to Liverpool and then use the cash to move for a winger
Walcott or Ox + Money if he goes to Arsenal and concentrate on a centre back

Could be eventful.
I think there is a player to be leveraged out of Chelsea for Drinkwater but i'm not sure they have anyone that would improve us so best to take £35-40m if that's whats on offer.

****sticks

Keep up. That's old news.

Latest I read was that Shakespeare had identified James McCarthy as the man to replace Drinkwater.

If that happens and Mahrez goes to be replaced by Townsend, my bet on us getting relegated will look very good!

Hindsight is a great thing. My view on things is it would've been better to let those who didn't want to stay leave last summer and rebuild a squad around committed players and a new style. We made the likes of Mahrez stay to make us look good. Last seasons carry on was a shambles but it didn't need to continue as one. We should have appointed a manager and more players should have been shipped out this summer and replacements brought in.

Well, with hindsight, I think you are right. Unfortunately, the club took the easy not the brave decisions that you set out. In doing so the club is now very much on the back foot - although at least one decent signing this summer. How long before he is asset stripped by a bigger club? On the whole though at least some our better players from 2015/16 are tempted to leave and our manager doesn't have the appeal - or his team the playing style - to make it that easy to bring in top quality players. Difficult situation but I think the club has to do now what it was better placed to do a year ago and painful as it is face exit players who have publicly made clear that they do not want to play for Leicester City. Of course the club needs to get as much as possible but equally even a small group of unhappy players spells trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566