New ex-players (and managers) thread

Word on the street . . .

Following the FA Cup win/goal, Tielemans' agent asked for approx. £200k a week for him to sign an extension to his City contract.

City tried negotiating but the agent was convinced that either City would pay or he'd get a move to a Champions League side who would pay this.

City stalled and nobody came in for him.

Last summer, his agent was convinced that a major side would come in for him and City were now resigned to sell. However, nobody made an offer mainly due to his extraordinary wage demands.

He has been adamant that he wanted Champions League football and £200k a week. He's settled for Conference League football and who knows what wages. I expect he's not far off £200k there given he's a free agent.

My prediction is that Villa will live to regret this deal.

We’ve fallen so far, so quickly haven’t we.
And so has he. Remember when he was linked with Arsenal and United and some of the top-tier clubs in Europe? **** deserves nothing better after the way he's performed for the last two seasons.

Word on Brown Nose Brown Nose street is that he turned down Mourinho at Roma. My bet is because of wages. I know he has kids etc., but that wouldn't have been the reason imo. Turn down one of the GOAT managers in Mourinho to play at Aston Villa...

Word on Brown Nose Brown Nose street is that he turned down Mourinho at Roma. My bet is because of wages. I know he has kids etc., but that wouldn't have been the reason imo. Turn down one of the GOAT managers in Mourinho to play at Aston Villa...
Yeah, but I mean Birmingham or Rome... we'd all rather live in Birmingham, right?

If he is cooked physically, as I've argued on here, then this is the right deal for him.

He has played far too much football for someone his age and his body is wrecked. If he knows this, he either needs a manager who will play a system to protect him, as Rodgers did and how Emery may well do, or he'll be exposed badly.

If Villa are daft enough to give him a 4-5 year deal on around £200k a week, he's made for life. No way any Italian side could compete with that. No way a Mourinho type manager would allow him to tread water in midfield either.

He's probably ripped off Villa something rotten.

Word on the street . . .

Following the FA Cup win/goal, Tielemans' agent asked for approx. £200k a week for him to sign an extension to his City contract.

City tried negotiating but the agent was convinced that either City would pay or he'd get a move to a Champions League side who would pay this.

City stalled and nobody came in for him.

Last summer, his agent was convinced that a major side would come in for him and City were now resigned to sell. However, nobody made an offer mainly due to his extraordinary wage demands.

He has been adamant that he wanted Champions League football and £200k a week. He's settled for Conference League football and who knows what wages. I expect he's not far off £200k there given he's a free agent.

My prediction is that Villa will live to regret this deal.
Hopefully

If he is cooked physically, as I've argued on here, then this is the right deal for him.

He has played far too much football for someone his age and his body is wrecked. If he knows this, he either needs a manager who will play a system to protect him, as Rodgers did and how Emery may well do, or he'll be exposed badly.

If Villa are daft enough to give him a 4-5 year deal on around £200k a week, he's made for life. No way any Italian side could compete with that. No way a Mourinho type manager would allow him to tread water in midfield either.

He's probably ripped off Villa something rotten.
I know what you mean, it's a struggle surviving on £80 -100 k a week!

As others have said, the **** can **** off.
If we'd kept him on the bench and not played him, he'd have been more effective these last 18 months or so.

Pisses me off that he's ended up at Villa.

1.5 years at least he's been treading water here, not putting any effort in and waiting for his big move... And then he ends up at Villa.

It's not the worst move, he's going to be on big money and in a team that's done well - but not a step up from where we were when he gave up trying and waiting for a move.

Was it really worth it??

I hope he is as bang average for them as he has been for us over the last year. Although if he is, then maybe BN is right and what's looked like a lack of effort is actually that he's already become an old man in football terms.

Honestly, after watching him this season, I’m not surprised Villa is as good a deal as he could get. Two years ago I suspect he could have had his choice of clubs. This isn’t sour grapes, I feel lucky to have seen him play as well as he did for the first couple of years for us. Now though, I honestly wouldn’t be fussed, as he looks like a shadow of his former self. Always seemed a genuinely nice bloke, but he’s so far away from where he was a couple of years ago that it feels like a bit of a waste of talent.

I think most of us would have begrudgingly accepted him leaving us for a CL club, but ****ing Villa. He’s lack of effort the last 6 months in particular have really tainted his reputation, which was almost assured after that FA Cup final goal…

I think most of us would have begrudgingly accepted him leaving us for a CL club, but ****ing Villa. He’s lack of effort the last 6 months in particular have really tainted his reputation, which was almost assured after that FA Cup final goal…
I couldn't give a **** who he joins. Him joining Real Madrid or Macclesfield wouldn't change the unprofessional **** that he's been for the past two seasons.

He always seems happy when I see him around Quorn, so he won't have to relocate. Maybe his personal priorities have become more important to him. I remember Andy Lochhead making the same move and staying in Aylestone.
Yeah, he seems very settled in the area. This feels like a personal / family decision.

Yeah, he seems very settled in the area. This feels like a personal / family decision.
I’m sure that is part of the reason. But a lack of offers from top clubs will also have been a big part.

I couldn't give a **** who he joins. Him joining Real Madrid or Macclesfield wouldn't change the unprofessional **** that he's been for the past two seasons.

Yep. Why we continued to play the ****er every game we could is farcical. Captain too. Hilarious that they're his big move though.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463