New Yoik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

We have had these threads had times before. But I shall start a new one....(anyone reckon we should 'collect all these travel threads into one place)

Something prompted me the other day in having a serious look at taking my bro New Yoik. With only a car and a small bit of board to pay atm I have some dough sitting nice in the bank. So before he probably starts an apprenticeship and I've got nothing to pay might aswell tempt myself.

Recommendations and rough prices? Suggestions for flights and where to stay? I understand there is a few guys on here whose been to New Yoik. Oh yes, any particular time of the year to be weary of and what this does to prices?

Last edited:
I think Drew went recently, he'll be able to offer some advice, particularly on ticket prices :icon_wink

In all seriousness though, we stayed in a hotel on Lexington Avne, think it might have been the Shelbourne, could be wrong though. Flew with BA, but if you can get American Airlines or KLM flights to New York I have found them very cheap and good service in the past (though that was travelling to Detroit).

If you can you want to stay on Lexington or 5th Avne, I think they get more expensive as you approach Time Square.

If you get one middlish then everything is within a 10-15 minute tube ride, right down to the financial district (Towers aftermath etc), Brooklyn bridge (which is well worth walking over for the sights) and up to Central Park.

New York is easily my favourite city I have been to, you should definately go if you can afford it Hazz, but don't forget neither of you will be able to drink.

Last edited:
That's quite spooky, it was only last night that I thought to myself "I fancy going to New York" - although looks like I will have to wait until I'm properly earning next year before it happens.

I actually had a look at flight costs this morning for about the start of June from Gatwick to JFK and they were between £150-200 going out and between £120-£160 coming back. I assume that will change depending on when you plan on going.

I was going to do a similar thread. but didn't.

Me and the Missus are going to New York for our Christmans shopping. The flights are quite cheap. We have paid around £730 (2 adults, return) with Virgin. I expected them to be most expensive but were very competetive.

The hotel we have opted for is very close to Time Square. We've 'reserved' rooms for about $1400, works out about £730 too. Hopefully the dollar won't strengthen too much by the time we go.

I've never been before but she has so we've got a general idea of what we're going to be doing there.

I was going to do a similar thread. but didn't.

Me and the Missus are going to New York for our Christmans shopping. The flights are quite cheap. We have paid around £730 (2 adults, return) with Virgin. I expected them to be most expensive but were very competetive.

The hotel we have opted for is very close to Time Square. We've 'reserved' rooms for about $1400, works out about £730 too. Hopefully the dollar won't strengthen too much by the time we go.

I've never been before but she has so we've got a general idea of what we're going to be doing there.

Dirty bleeder

Continental Airlines from Birmingham or Manchester to Newark usually have some good deals, I usually use them when on business in the US.

There are plenty of good cheapish hotels in Manhattan, I'd recommend staying somwhere around the empire state building because you can easily walk the whole island from there.

go with American Airlines and you'll avoid the queues at immigration!
speaking of New York i'l be there a week on saturday !

If you go to Bangkok you can also avoid the queues at immigration by going Business or First with Thai. Not relevant but just a tip. :icon_wink

If you go to Bangkok you can also avoid the STD's by using a Condom with your ladyboy. :icon_wink

Sound advice but I am not sure why you needed to tell everyone. :icon_conf

go with American Airlines and you'll avoid the queues at immigration!

No you won't, I went with AA and queued like everyone else.

I booked mine through lastminute.com. They did the whole sherbang and I think it cost about £1200 for 2 all in. We stayed on 7th Av right opposite Maddison Square Garden.

Midtown is prob the best area to stay in although if you are shopping then 5th Av is a fair walk away, subway is good though.

Whatever you do don't do what a mate of mine did and book an "all-in" package that's cheap because you get a hotel airport - the airports are a $50 taxi ride away from Manhattan (at least) and you will waste time sat in traffic. We flew into JFK and it was $45 (+tip) to our hotel (Newark is a bit dearer I think and New Jersey even more).

New York is relatively cheap compared to European prices, even if the Yanks do complain about it (you will hear a lot of this) and prices rise during public holidays. That said, I went just after Christmas last year and the sales they had on were fantastic, as much as 70% off in some stores!

If you go to Bangkok you can also avoid the queues at immigration by going Business or First with Thai. Not relevant but just a tip. :icon_wink

Stick a bag of smack up yer arse and you'll be whisked straight through the airport - to the firing post!!

Stick a bag of smack up yer arse and you'll be whisked straight through the airport - to the firing post!!

I have never been checked in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia or any of those countries that treat smugglers like that. Mind you I wouldn't be caught dead trying to smuggle drugs into countries like that. :icon_wink

I'd go with Virgin personally. Excellent service.

Hotels tend to be pricey when you get to being close to Times Square etc but it's worth it as youll spend the money on cabs if your any distance away from manhattan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46