Newcastle away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, cheated. Got a lift from the bloke next to me (who, incidentally, mentioned your good self). I was home before anyone on Fox Travel, which has to be a first.

Whooooooooooo?

Not sure who this might be.

I was talking to my brother last night and he mentioned your name too Boc. Apparently you and him engaged in a financial transaction that resulted in him collecting some tickets off you at Brighton some time ago, he was on TB (Darth Fox).

Everyone knows you!

Last edited:
Newcastle looked pretty disorganised when we put them under pressure in the first half, and the fans started getting on their back, but we let them off the hook by not taking advantage of the chances we created.

We lost the midfield battle in the second half and stopped playing football. Just hoofing it to Howard may have worked in League One but it's not going to be as effective in the Championship.

Poor goal to concede, it was a good shot, but from my position (in with the Newcastle fans...), it looked like he was given far too much time and should have been closed down.

Disappointed with Gallagher, he didn't seem to get involved much, maybe Adams should have started instead.
N'Guessan had a good start but got worse as the game went on.
Fryatt should have scored, and was greedy on other occasions when we had players in better positions and he should have passed. Howard was guilty of that too.

sums up what i saw etc

Blimey people reality check??? We lose a game 1-0 to a team that before the game a lot of people were predicting 3-0 or even 4-0?????? We outplayed them first half and had three clear cut chances, Howard's header, Gallagher who according to some did nothing; free kick, and Fryatts through on goal at the end of the 1st half skied into row z!! Would have been better if he had squared it to either Howard or Gallagher who were free???

We admittedly ran out of ideas 2nd half but Newcastle defended deeper after they scored early in the 2nd half, putting 11 men behind the ball and saying come on then break us down.

Howard worked tirelessly all night and his flicks ons from headers he won numerous times should have been read better by our other so called forwards. He was fouled numerous occasions by Smith but like all big team homers the ref didn't give us nothing.

I was happy with the performance overall. Frustrated like most, after our first half performance that we didn't press more in the second but it was encouraging.

After three games some people on this forum were suggesting play-offs or promotion, now we lose one it's mid table at best??????????

Pleeeeeeeeeese people come on - It weren't that Bad.

Finally, Weale should have saved that shot???? Pleese look at it again the speed of the ball and the swerve?? It wasn't as some suggest straight at him?

Blimey people reality check??? We lose a game 1-0 to a team that before the game a lot of people were predicting 3-0 or even 4-0?????? We outplayed them first half and had three clear cut chances, Howard's header, Gallagher who according to some did nothing; free kick, and Fryatts through on goal at the end of the 1st half skied into row z!! Would have been better if he had squared it to either Howard or Gallagher who were free???

We admittedly ran out of ideas 2nd half but Newcastle defended deeper after they scored early in the 2nd half, putting 11 men behind the ball and saying come on then break us down.

Howard worked tirelessly all night and his flicks ons from headers he won numerous times should have been read better by our other so called forwards. He was fouled numerous occasions by Smith but like all big team homers the ref didn't give us nothing.

I was happy with the performance overall. Frustrated like most, after our first half performance that we didn't press more in the second but it was encouraging.

After three games some people on this forum were suggesting play-offs or promotion, now we lose one it's mid table at best??????????

Pleeeeeeeeeese people come on - It weren't that Bad.

Finally, Weale should have saved that shot???? Pleese look at it again the speed of the ball and the swerve?? It wasn't as some suggest straight at him?

A very fair report - we should have gone into the interval ahead.

But Newcastle's superior experience told in the second half.

They still have a minimum 7 or 8 Premiership players in their team that would walk into ours

We need to be patient and we need to add more quality to the squad

I agree entirely................

Very angry as well by the continued harping on about the 'depleted' Newcastle team... **l**x . 10 of the starting 11 played Prem last year and the other had more starts for England under 19 then Mattock.

Our 11 contained 2 fringe last year Prem players, 1 championship and the rest 2 and 3 levels lower than Prem. Overall we matched up pretty well.

I thought we were the better side first half despite my mate texting me to tell me Sky were having a Newcastle lovefest and we weren't even in the game(grrr) I also didn't bother with the radio commentary for the second half cos I think they mentioned us about 4 times, fecking twats.

Second half I thought Adams should've come on for at least 20 mins not a couple of mins at the end. N'Guessan just didn't know what to do when he had the ball at his feet, midfield started to get swamped as Oakley and Wellens in turn went over to N'Guessans side to bail him out. So we ended up with pretty much no support for the front two, resorting to hoofing it up to Howard who was winning his headers, but we didn't have anyone there to pick up the ball after he had won them!

As for Newcastle, they certainly weren't imo loads better than what we've faced already. It was a good goal, but it could've been defended better and Weale could've done more imo to try and stop it going in. Personally I think we cancelled each other out for most of the game and a draw would've been acceptable.

It does show that we need to look at getting another midfielder in today if possible, cos when we lose the impetus we run out of ideas very quickly and we get over run, and if we only have AK on the bench instead of a midfielder who will get stuck in we are stuffed.

NP tried some ideas out last night and most didn't work, he'll learn from that though(well hopefully!)

I thought we were the better side first half despite my mate texting me to tell me Sky were having a Newcastle lovefest and we weren't even in the game(grrr) I also didn't bother with the radio commentary for the second half cos I think they mentioned us about 4 times, fecking twats.

Listening to sky made me feel sick when they were banging on about their 'production line of fine young players'. If sky are to be believed, that Ranger is as good as Drogba and the future of English football rests on his broad, muscular shoulders.

Last edited:
Listening to sky made me feel sick when they were banging on about their 'production line of fine young players'. If sky are to be believed, that Ranger is as good as Drogba and the future of English football rests on his broad, muscular shoulders.

It was quite a pathetic production from start to end.

It was quite a pathetic production from start to end.

Them claiming that Ranger had been 'different class' and doing 'everything but score' was the final straw for me and we ended up watching the last 15 minutes in total silence.

Last edited:
I agree with much of what Suffolk Fox said. Leicester were the better side in the first half & that should give cause for some comfort over a pretty closely faught match.

Newcastle made a tactical change in the 2nd half (may have been even a bit before that) to nullify N'guessan and this turned the tide. With Gallagher being played out of position and also ineffective, this proved too much for Wellens and Oakley to overcome and they lost the midfield battle they had so dominated in the first half. No midfield quartet are going to win a game if 2 out of the 4 are not in the game. Generally you can sometimes 'carry' one man but two is too many.

My concern is NP's tactics/response to the way the game was going. The first thing NP needed to do was recognise that N'guessan was being cancelled out and replace him asap with Adams. My other feeling is that Gradal needs to be given the chance to compete for N'guessan's place from the bench as well/instead if the manager had reason to believe that Adams could not make an impact on this particular match.

Finally, I am not a fan of playing players out of position and whilst Gallagher might have been played in central midfield at Blackburn on occasion, sticking him on the left side did not work. Once N'guessan was snuffed out it almost became a game of 9 against 11. I hope NP does not try this tactic again. Gallagher has to be cover for the front two in case of injury & I think that if Fryatt loses form, Gallagher would deserve the chance to form a partnership with Howard.

Last edited:
Them claiming that Ranger had been 'different class' and doing 'everything but score' was the final straw for me and we ended up watching the last 15 minutes in total silence.

I agree, to be honest the kid did ok, nothing better IMO. Newcastle's stand out players were Steve Taylor and Alan Smith. Sky saw a potential fairy tale and built this kids performance up, I don't remember him having a goal attempt.

I agree, to be honest the kid did ok, nothing better IMO. Newcastle's stand out players were Steve Taylor and Alan Smith. Sky saw a potential fairy tale and built this kids performance up, I don't remember him having a goal attempt.

True

He was, however, three or four times more effective than our superstar Matt Fryatt (if not more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669