Speculation Next Leicester manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really only eight months since you chumps told me that (a) Sven was a better manager than O'Neill and (b) We'd get promoted (last season) and I was a moron for doubting it?

The best part is, the excuses have kept coming and coming... Wait until Sven gets a summer to sort it out... Give it ten games... Give it till Christmas...

For the pro-Svennists it would never have been the right time to fire him. If we're a laughing stock it's not because we've just fired a manager who had some success over a decade ago, it's because of the money we've spent and the league position we find ourselves in.

I'm devastated about our predicament but, as regards some of the posters on here, irrepressibly smug to see you finally, painfully, realising that you were completely wrong. And will you back down now? No! Fire the owners! They're to blame! Sven was the only good thing that ever happened to this club!

Out of curiosity, who was the last manager to take over mid-season and win promotion in the same campaign at City? Was it Sven? Oh no...

... it's because of the money we've spent and the league position we find ourselves in.

Along with Sky and others, here is another of the 'Big-Spending Leicester, Buying their way to the Premier League' brigade tossers!

Did the rest of the Championship not buy any players this season then?

The problem for the owners is that it was clear that some very good players only joined us BECAUSE it was Sven, but they then saw that with a very good squad he could not get consistent good results quickly enough for them.

I'd have Billy Davies now I think, would have been the right choice a year ago and would be the right kind of man to step in and steady the ship now. He's a whining little turd but he'd be on our side, and he knows exactly what this division is about - both the tactics and the players.

I don't want another big, international name to come in and totally misjudge the standard and style of the championship.

According to the other side....
Mark Hughes has been seen getting out of his car at the KP

Also, we've been in contact with Avram Grant

& MON has had the flat he still owns in the City, totally revamped recently

Personally, I'm warming to the suggestion of Roberto Di Matteo

Totally agree. Home grown, knows how to scrap and inspire to win games in this league. MON, Davies, Keane or Keegan. All could do the job. Or of course 'The Special One'!

Really don't get the Roy Keane love in. Would be one of the last people I'd want as manager. Living off the back of half a good season imo (much like Dowie).

According to the other side....
Mark Hughes has been seen getting out of his car at the KP

Also, we've been in contact with Avram Grant

& MON has had the flat he still owns in the City, totally revamped recently

Personally, I'm warming to the suggestion of Roberto Di Matteo

I hope it was to tell him not bother sending in his CV.

I just see the owners wanting a name that is recognised and well known at home as well as the UK. Whatever else you thought of Sven he had the profile the owners wanted.

Really don't get the Roy Keane love in. Would be one of the last people I'd want as manager. Living off the back of half a good season imo (much like Dowie).

Keane - Promoted with Sunderland, Failed with Ipswich
Davies - Promoted with Derby and relegated. Failed with Charlton, twice. Failed with F*rest, twice.

Agreed - its about profile for our owners so that, to me, rules out many half decent contenders like Billy Davies. I have a feeling we'll go down the O'Neill or Mark Hughes line.

I would be disappointed with alot of the names we have been linked with. Genuinely the only realistic targets I'd consider as an improvement over Sven are O'Neill, Davies and maybe Curbishley. Feck Avram Grant and Mark Hughes...

The problem for the owners is that it was clear that some very good players only joined us BECAUSE it was Sven

I agree that we have picked up some good players along the way, but this widespread view from the pro-Sven camp that Sven's responsible for assembling a magnificent squad is difficult to back up. I think Nugent, Schmeichel, possibly Peltier are the only Sven buys to deliver so far, though I expect Mills and Konchesky will get there in the end. Do you really think Peltier wouldn't have signed for City if Billy Davies or even Ian Dowie (!!!) were in charge? And Mills - he's a Leicester fan (has passion etc.) - I doubt Sven was his major motivation. Then look at the rest - there's stories that Danns, Beckford and St. Ledger have fallen out with Sven already.

Neither am I convinced that all of these players count as being high quality, I tend to think they're expensive but I don't see that great leap in class that we had with Izzet, Lennon and Heskey when we won promotion in 96, or with Izzet and Dickov in 03. Our best attacking threats in the squad may yet turn out to be free transfers and players who were here before Sven came. Who precisely is the guy we can't do without that Sven and only Sven could have brought in?

When jobs come up in the Premier people talk (right or wrong) about O'Neill/Hughes/Deschamps/Benitez long before they talk about Sven. Do you really think people are laughing at Leicester because with someone like that in charge we'll never be able to attract big names? Do you believe that the likes of Sean St. Ledger/Nugent/Mills would have turned their back on City just because even a smaller name like Billy Davies was the manager? And would it have mattered if our highest profiile signings - Yakubu, Pantsil, Beckford, Kirkland, Konchesky, Van Aanholt, Bruma - had never come here in the first place?

We've accumulated some good signings, but by no means have we assembled a finished article squad, the likes of which only Sven could put together for a measly £15m.

Let's not forget that Pearson - an absolute nobody - also brought in Jay Spearing and Tom Cleverley. I'd argue they're worth more between them than every Sven signing combined.

I just see the owners wanting a name that is recognised and well known at home as well as the UK. Whatever else you thought of Sven he had the profile the owners wanted.

I agree but I think its foolish. It took QPR a couple of years of faffing around to work out they needed Warnock to get them out of this league.

I agree but I think its foolish. It took QPR a couple of years of faffing around to work out they needed Warnock to get them out of this league.

Warnock, a person that the City fans didn't want and let it be well known.

Who's laughing now?

Davies - Promoted with Derby and relegated. Failed with Charlton, twice. Failed with F*rest, twice.

Don't even know where to begin.

Failed with Forest? :icon_lol: How exactly? By taking a shitty squad which barely scraped promotion from League One into promotion chasing side? Once you get to the play-offs I honestly believe a manager has little say in them and making the play-offs and not getting promoted by them is ludicrous to be called a failiure.

And Charlton?! Wtf?! :icon_lol:

I agree that we have picked up some good players along the way, but this widespread view from the pro-Sven camp that Sven's responsible for assembling a magnificent squad is difficult to back up. I think Nugent, Schmeichel, possibly Peltier are the only Sven buys to deliver so far, though I expect Mills and Konchesky will get there in the end. Do you really think Peltier wouldn't have signed for City if Billy Davies or even Ian Dowie (!!!) were in charge? And Mills - he's a Leicester fan (has passion etc.) - I doubt Sven was his major motivation. Then look at the rest - there's stories that Danns, Beckford and St. Ledger have fallen out with Sven already.

Neither am I convinced that all of these players count as being high quality, I tend to think they're expensive but I don't see that great leap in class that we had with Izzet, Lennon and Heskey when we won promotion in 96, or with Izzet and Dickov in 03. Our best attacking threats in the squad may yet turn out to be free transfers and players who were here before Sven came. Who precisely is the guy we can't do without that Sven and only Sven could have brought in?

When jobs come up in the Premier people talk (right or wrong) about O'Neill/Hughes/Deschamps/Benitez long before they talk about Sven. Do you really think people are laughing at Leicester because with someone like that in charge we'll never be able to attract big names? Do you believe that the likes of Sean St. Ledger/Nugent/Mills would have turned their back on City just because even a smaller name like Billy Davies was the manager? And would it have mattered if our highest profiile signings - Yakubu, Pantsil, Beckford, Kirkland, Konchesky, Van Aanholt, Bruma - had never come here in the first place?

We've accumulated some good signings, but by no means have we assembled a finished article squad, the likes of which only Sven could put together for a measly £15m.

Let's not forget that Pearson - an absolute nobody - also brought in Jay Spearing and Tom Cleverley. I'd argue they're worth more between them than every Sven signing combined.

Certainly we wouldn't have Kasper or Bamba without Sven, both of them made that clear when they signed. I'm also not convinced Mills (is he really a Leicester fan? As far as I see it, he was given that label by the virtue that he was born here even though, IIRC, he moved away shortly after) or Johnson would have signed without him - they were connected from Sven's Man City days. I doubt we'd have gotten Yakubu or Curtis Davies without him either.

I think perhaps Nugent would have come regardless, and he has turned out to be a fantastic signing in my opinion, but still - we'll never know I suppose.

You come on here sounding very smug and bitter about people who wanted to believe that the manager running this club was the right man for the job - something I still believe - and seem very keen to criticise a man who has approached this job with enthusiasm and seems genuinely disappointed not to have succeeded in his task. Sven showed with his statements after leaving the club that he is a class act, you've shown nothing of the sort in your statements in this thread.

Certainly we wouldn't have Kasper or Bamba without Sven, both of them made that clear when they signed.

Not sure that's solid evidence. It certainly may have helped, but at the time we were (allegedly) going places whilst also throwing money around, so I have no doubt that they could have been persuaded either way. But we'll never know.

I agree with syd. For most of the players it probably helped that we had Sven, but I doubt there are many that couldn't have been persuaded with increased remuneration. Maybe with the exception of Fernandes (who has been the biggest disappointment in my eyes) and Johnson, who looks good but is yet to prove himself invaluable.

Seems like only Di Matteo fits the bill of profile and championship success and is available.

But i get the feeling the owners are playing it like fans, get as many "names" together on and off the pitch and we'll end up with O'Neill.

Billy D the only other choice that makes sense.

Maybe the Thai link to Robson! noooooooooooooooooooo!:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670