Next Manager

Kompany not a realistic target.
Nor Poch.
Neither is Franks.
Potter feels unlikely.
Pearson feels like a bit of a punt.

Ralph wouldn’t be terrible, but people don’t want to hear that.

The fact that there are no strong rumours around today, other than Benitez, suggests we hadn’t even thought of a plan were we ever to sack him

Which means it will be Benitez

And he’s a total ****

But he could still keep us up

The fact that there are no strong rumours around today, other than Benitez, suggests we hadn’t even thought of a plan were we ever to sack him

Which means it will be Benitez

And he’s a total ****

But he could still keep us up
To be fair, there were almost no rumours at all that we were going to sack him.

The board is speaking to so few people these days that the opportunity for anything to leak is gone.

I find it almost impossible to distinguish how good our players are vs how they've been performing because of Rodgers. And I don't think anyone can - although plenty will have their view on it.

Have the likes of Ndidi, Vardy, Barnes, Soyuncu, Tielemans really fallen so far in the last 1-2 years?

A couple of years ago our midfield three of Ndidi, Youri and Maddison was the envy of most teams in the league - now two of them are barely getting in the side.

We've lost really key players (Kasper, Fofana, Chilwell, and for all intents and purposes, Evans) and seen some probably irreversible decline due to age/injury in others (Vardy, Ricardo).

My guess is the real ability of the players that are left sits somewhere in the middle - I think Rodgers had them overperforming to finish 5th two seasons in a row and win the FA Cup, but now injuries, lost players, poor replacements, bad management and those near misses have all taken it's toll on the squad and they're now massively underperforming vs where they should be.

For any new manager coming in, there should still be enough in this squad to get us away from relegation. But I also don't think we have a top 8 squad any more - maybe not even top 10. So if we're going to get a Potter or a Thomas Frank for example, they'll need convincing there's money and appetite to mix up this squad in the summer.

Maybe we could look at/tempt Potter if there was a no-questions mutual get-out summer review clause?? Or a contract until summer and one on the table for after? If both parties are interested then there'll be a way forward.

i
I find it almost impossible to distinguish how good our players are vs how they've been performing because of Rodgers. And I don't think anyone can - although plenty will have their view on it.

Have the likes of Ndidi, Vardy, Barnes, Soyuncu, Tielemans really fallen so far in the last 1-2 years?

A couple of years ago our midfield three of Ndidi, Youri and Maddison was the envy of most teams in the league - now two of them are barely getting in the side.

We've lost really key players (Kasper, Fofana, Chilwell, and for all intents and purposes, Evans) and seen some probably irreversible decline due to age/injury in others (Vardy, Ricardo).

My guess is the real ability of the players that are left sits somewhere in the middle - I think Rodgers had them overperforming to finish 5th two seasons in a row and win the FA Cup, but now injuries, lost players, poor replacements, bad management and those near misses have all taken it's toll on the squad and they're now massively underperforming vs where they should be.

For any new manager coming in, there should still be enough in this squad to get us away from relegation. But I also don't think we have a top 8 squad any more - maybe not even top 10. So if we're going to get a Potter or a Thomas Frank for example, they'll need convincing there's money and appetite to mix up this squad in the summer.
it could be argued that Rodgers was not trusted to bring in players and they were waiting for the new head of recruitment to settle in? I am certain the new manager will be given proper funding to acquire the players required, I think we need to go back to the blue print that brought us success, taking educated risk on players, re establishment of our culture and re introduction of the sports science that churned out fit robust players.

Absolutely no point whatsoever making a decision prior to the Villa and Bournemouth matches.

The results of those two fixtures will clarify exactly where we are for both the club and for the potential targets.

Let's be honest, failing to win at least one of the next two would probably be enough to finish us off.

Somehow scab a couple of wins together and suddenly we look a lot more attractive to a Potter-type. Anything less than 4 points and we will know that realistically we need to be looking for a man who can put together a run in the championship.

Either way, I don't see much point installing a firefighter. Do your due diligence now, take stock of your realistic options, and then make a decision on direction after Bournemouth.

They've waited far far too long, the timing is genuinely appalling. If he was this close to the sack - he should have gone before the break - and even now, we should have a succession plan in place. On the bright side, at least they've made the right decision now.

If we are able to stay up, here's the list I'd be happy with:

Potter
Ralph
Still
Dahl Tomasson
Pochettino
Carrick

If we go down I can only see Dahl Tomasson being interested. Would be worth having a chat with Bielsa. I'd go for Robins - massively underrated.

Went past the ground on my lunch break.

Saw a Seat Ibiza with blacked out windows driving in to the car park.

There were also some flamingo dancers and someone starting to cook a giant paella outside the shop.

Someone dressed as a waiter standing there too.

Paella? Yummeeee!

Absolutely no point whatsoever making a decision prior to the Villa and Bournemouth matches.

The results of those two fixtures will clarify exactly where we are for both the club and for the potential targets.

Let's be honest, failing to win at least one of the next two would probably be enough to finish us off.

Somehow scab a couple of wins together and suddenly we look a lot more attractive to a Potter-type. Anything less than 4 points and we will know that realistically we need to be looking for a man who can put together a run in the championship.

Either way, I don't see much point installing a firefighter. Do your due diligence now, take stock of your realistic options, and then make a decision on direction after Bournemouth.

They've waited far far too long, the timing is genuinely appalling. If he was this close to the sack - he should have gone before the break - and even now, we should have a succession plan in place. On the bright side, at least they've made the right decision now.
A new manager taking charge of this team for the first time at Man City doesn't sound like a great sales pitch

Villa are looking almost unbeatable at the moment. Joint 2nd, with Man City, in the form table (last 5 matches), and 4th over the last 12 matches. I think we can hope to see improved competitiveness against them, but it might be too early to see bounce we are going to need. The last 9 matches are where we are going to need to really show renewed form (ring a bell?), and I predict at least a point against Man City.

Just been into town and pulled up behind this van...

PXL_20230403_091341904.jpg
To add, I live in the North West but this could still be a sign.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463