Next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strachan has had success down here? Really?
Tbf to the OP a lot of those had played down here and had some experience of English football. Not that I'm agreeing with him, Jose Mourinho had no experience of English football before he came here.

Taking Southampton to the FA Cup Final was a pretty good achievement!!!

Comments about Billy Reid

He's worked wonders , with no money , at Hamilton . Hamilton have punched well above their weight in his time there .
Would be interesting to see how he would do at a bigger club , but his current profile would be similar to Craig Levein's a few years back - and Levein had his only managerial failing when he moved away from the SPL comfort zone .As you well know

Very good manager, he reminds me a lot of Billy Davies and he hasnt done too badly They have bulit up a superb youth policy at new Douglas Park and he has brought a few cracking young lads through at the Accies and he sets his teams up to play football and none of this ten men behind the ball nonsense, that you constantly see in the SPL. Although I would be worried about where my hometown club will end up, should he leave, as he has worked wonders during his time there.

I'd be happy with Tony Mowbray to be honest...

Other than him, none of the out of work managers seem appealing.

Don't really know who else we could realistically bring in.

Whoever it is though, get them in soon. Want to give them as much of pre-season as possible! Plus I hate all the speculation. Get it done soon, don't think I can handle reading the 75,424 different posts about it

Last edited:
Don't really understand the people who are anti Mowbray.
Promotion winning Championship manager.West Brom played good football in the Prem under him & the reason they went down was because they lacked a Prem class goalscorer.You have to be incredibly lucky to find that kind of player without spending the kind of money most clubs simply don't have,so I wouldn't lay the blame for that at his door.
Fact is it's MUCH harder for a newly promoted club to stay in the Prem than it was last time we were there.The Prem is in the process of being set up that way deliberately.They want a closed shop.
West Brom themselves & Newcastle basically walked the Championship last season & the race was for the playoffs for everyone else from xmas.
Given the unholy mess that is Pompey,plus Hull & Burnley being the other relegated clubs this season should be wide open as regards automatic promotion.So having a manager that knows how to get us out of this division would be a plus BUT ONLY if we get him in quickly for a decent pre-season with proper preperation.He's also exactly the right type of manager to get us playing with the width we lacked last season,therefore getting the best out of players like Dyer,N'Guessan & Adams which will be vital if there's going to be feck all money for signings.
Most clubs in this league are in the same boat,so not many are going to be stronger than they were last season & the Prem clubs coming down don't exactly have the fear factor do they? This will IMO be a weaker league than last season & we made the play-offs then.

2 last things...

1) Mowbray at Celtic.His failure was because he tried to play football in the SPL.
No chance.
Have you ever watched an SPL game? 90 mins of aimless hoofing & ten men
behind the ball when not in possession.Except in the Old Firm which is basically just a
fight in a pub car park with a ball thrown in.

2) West Brom fans who didn't rate Mowbray.Forget them.Most of them have brains the size
of walnuts & the level of expectation thay have of what is basically an ugly little club
from an ugly little town is even more ludicrous than ours.

I mean...Boing! Boing! ???

Speaks for itself wouldn't you say?

He spent a lot of money getting WBA promoted though and even then he moanied about not being backed enough. If people think Pearson has gone for the money, well, then Mowbray would be moaning about it no end. Even if I wanted him, and I don't, I just can't see him getting on with MM in regards to this issue. We'd be after a new manager yet again 3 months down the line.

And it may be MUCH harder to stay in the Prem ,but Hull and Stoke seemed to manage it fine that season with much weaker side than WBA.

I don't buy what you are saying about playing football in the SPL either, the Premier League is mostly made up of hoofball teams too, but Arsenal seem to get on fine playing good football.

Last edited:
He made a profit of around £8 million in the transfer market to get them promoted, after selling players for £18 million and only spending £10 million.

Where have you got that £10mil from? Soccerbase has it down as around £17mil between October 2006-May 2008 and about £17mil sold as well.

And the side he inherited was a side that had just come down from the Premiership. Kamara (£6mil+), Koumas (£5mil+), McShane (£2.5mil) were all PL players who he sold to PL sides.

So basically, he had a very good squad that had already survived in the PL for a season and couldn't get them up in his first season despite having several PL players, then in his second season spent a lot of money just making it good enough to go up with a points total that in most seasons would only have seen them book a play-off place. They got lucky with the low scoring points total of that season.

Last edited:
Where have you got that £10mil from? Soccerbase has it down as around £17mil between October 2006-May 2008 and about £17mil sold as well.

I must have missed one. It's £11.7 million he spent, and £18.5 million he brought in, not counting the ones with unknown fees.

Presumably you're counting the players he signed after the end of the season, when they'd already been promoted. I was just looking at how much he spent to get them promoted, not what he spent afterwards.

Sold:

Diomansy Kamara Fulham 6000000
Jason Koumas Wigan 5300000
Paul McShane Sunderland 2500000
Nathan Ellington Watford 3250000
Nigel Quashie West Ham 1500000
Total £18550000

Bought:
Filipe Teixeira Acad. Coimbra 600000
Leon Barnett Luton 2500000
James Morrison Middlesbro 1500000
Carl Hoefkens Stoke 750000
Chris Brunt Sheff Wed 3000000
Bartosz Slusarski Groclin Grodzisk 680000
Sherjil MacDonald Anderlecht 200000
Ishmael Miller Man City 900000
David Worrall Bury 50000
Tininho Beira Mar 230000
Shelton Martis Hibernian 50000
Craig Beattie Celtic 1250000
Total: £11710000

Alright, yes, I missed the fact it was after they'd been promoted. Ridiculous putting it on the 07/08 season page then. I still don't think it's a very big achievement though. WBA were hardly in disarray or anything when they came down and were favourites to go back up anyway.

I still don't think it's a very big achievement though. WBA were hardly in disarray or anything when they came down and were favourites to go back up anyway.

I posted a link to a thread in a West Brom forum a couple of days ago, from around the time there were rumours that Celtic were interested in him. I read the first few pages and none of the West Brom fans had a bad thing to say about him. But they also liked Megson...

Either way though, we still can't avoid the fact he spent money to do well there and did also go on about his funds while in the PL. I can't see him lasting very long here considering our current predicament at all.

Either way though, we still can't avoid the fact he spent money to do well there and did also go on about his funds while in the PL. I can't see him lasting very long here considering our current predicament at all.

Maybe he moaned because he'd been promised more money than he was allowed to spend, and if his chairman had been honest about what was available he would have accepted it.

Maybe he moaned because he'd been promised more money than he was allowed to spend, and if his chairman had been honest about what was available he would have accepted it.

Let's hope for his sake that he comes nowhere near the Walkers then.

I must have missed one. It's £11.7 million he spent, and £18.5 million he brought in, not counting the ones with unknown fees.

Presumably you're counting the players he signed after the end of the season, when they'd already been promoted. I was just looking at how much he spent to get them promoted, not what he spent afterwards.

Sold:

Diomansy Kamara Fulham 6000000
Jason Koumas Wigan 5300000
Paul McShane Sunderland 2500000
Nathan Ellington Watford 3250000
Nigel Quashie West Ham 1500000
Total £18550000

Bought:
Filipe Teixeira Acad. Coimbra 600000
Leon Barnett Luton 2500000
James Morrison Middlesbro 1500000
Carl Hoefkens Stoke 750000
Chris Brunt Sheff Wed 3000000
Bartosz Slusarski Groclin Grodzisk 680000
Sherjil MacDonald Anderlecht 200000
Ishmael Miller Man City 900000
David Worrall Bury 50000
Tininho Beira Mar 230000
Shelton Martis Hibernian 50000
Craig Beattie Celtic 1250000
Total: £11710000
Looking at it in another way, he did spunk an awful lot of money on some fairly ordinary players.

Crikey, some of the rubbish we are being linked with is quite alarming. I'd be delighted/ relatively happy with Curbs/ Jackett/ O'Driscoll out of the names I've seen mentioned. Not sure about Grayson - think he'd be okay....

From thisissouthwales.

Paulo is bookies' favourite but Huw knows nothing

HUW Jenkins insists he has heard nothing from Leicester City after bookies made Paulo Sousa the hot favourite to take over at the Walkers Stadium. And Jenkins refused to comment on what his reaction would be should the Foxes make a formal approach for the Swansea City manager.

Sousa's odds to take the reins at Leicester yesterday tumbled from a distant 20-1 to 9-4, making him the strong tip to succeed Hull-bound Nigel Pearson. National and local bookmakers have said the betting patterns suggest there is substance in the Sousa-Leicester link.

But Swansea's chairman has played down the reports and stressed that Sousa is focusing on the start of pre-season training at the Liberty.

"I have never had a letter, an email or a phone call from anybody at Leicester City. There hasn't been any contact and I have got no idea whether they are interested in Paulo."

Asked how Swansea would react should Leicester inquire about Sousa's availability, Jenkins added: "I am not going to comment on that. I had a meeting with Paulo (yesterday morning) and he is concentrating on Swansea City."

Sousa has been made favourite to follow in the footsteps of Pearson, who left for Hull yesterday, ahead of the likes of Tony Mowbray, Iain Dowie and Gareth Southgate.

One theory behind the link is the fact that Sousa watched Leicester's play-off semi-final home leg against Cardiff at the Walkers last month.

It is believed the Swansea boss was a guest of Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric that day.

Bookmakers Victor Chandler said there had been a 'significant move' for Sousa after their odds on the next Leicester manager were first put up on Monday night.

"We always put Sousa in contention when we frame up these manager markets as he seems to be a man in demand," a spokesman for the firm said.

"But there's not a great deal of money at Leicester, certainly no more than Swansea, and we felt he would be an unlikely candidate. We felt he'd wait for something bigger if anything. But it wasn't long before the initial price of 20-1 was backed.

"We cut it to 10-1 and that got backed as well. We went 6-1, then 7-2 and then 9-4 favourite, and each time it got backed again.

"The betting suggests that there is a little more substance to this than just a blind stab in the dark from the punters. It will be interesting to see what happens."

Sousa is also attracting money in the Leicester area, with local bookies Mark Jarvis saying there has been a rush of interest in him. "The word on the street is that Paulo is the man for Milan and that's reflected in his odds," said Mark Jarvis spokesman Lee Watts.

There has also been speculation in the East Midlands that new investors who are interested in the Foxes are keen to bring Sousa with them.

"I think the problem the fans have at the moment is that they don't know to what extent these potential investors will be involved," Watts added. They don't know if they are looking at a complete takeover or just playing some part in the club's future with Mandaric still at the helm."

I sure hope that line regarding a takeover is true.

One theory behind the link is the fact that Sousa watched Leicester's play-off semi-final home leg against Cardiff at the Walkers last month.

It is believed the Swansea boss was a guest of Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric that day.

Sousa was indeed there that day. I saw him walking into reception beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669