New Contract Nigel Pearson signs new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now start spending some money and signing some players you lazy ****er.

I thought from the first time they met Nigel they wanted Sousa?

That was my first thought too when I read that. But I'm prepared to blame old tax dodging Mandy for the Sousa debacle.

Last edited:
I would be prepared to bet that the owners wanted a bigger name. Let's not forget they were inexperienced in football ownership when they first bought into Leicester, obviously learned from their mistake and were influenced by more experienced people within the club what the right direction would be when it didn't work out with Sven.

Pretty sure Mandy appointed Sousa as a way of attracting investment ie we have a former champion league winner as manager

Much as I like our current owners and loathed Mad Mandy, I think there is some re-writing of history going on here to suit our preferences.

In reality, the new owners were all but here and everything was agreed when NP was ditched for PS. It is inconceivable to think that they were not responsible for the decision, admittedly with Mandy's support and possibly his encouragement. The evidence for this grows when you consider that PS has acted as an adviser to our owners since he departed as manager.

Our owners screwed up with the PS appointment and then followed this up with their decision to appoint Sven. Only a combination of a growing bad reputation meaning that potential managers didn't want to work for them, together with the impending FFP regulations, made them change their strategy.

There's no shame in any of this, our owners were just naive. We can only hope that they'll handle it better the next time they have to make a managerial change.

Much as I like our current owners and loathed Mad Mandy, I think there is some re-writing of history going on here to suit our preferences.

In reality, the new owners were all but here and everything was agreed when NP was ditched for PS. It is inconceivable to think that they were not responsible for the decision, admittedly with Mandy's support and possibly his encouragement. The evidence for this grows when you consider that PS has acted as an adviser to our owners since he departed as manager.

Our owners screwed up with the PS appointment and then followed this up with their decision to appoint Sven. Only a combination of a growing bad reputation meaning that potential managers didn't want to work for them, together with the impending FFP regulations, made them change their strategy.

There's no shame in any of this, our owners were just naive. We can only hope that they'll handle it better the next time they have to make a managerial change.

Is this fact? Not having a go at you BN, just curious...

Is this fact? Not having a go at you BN, just curious...

He's attended a few matches with the owners since he left us although I've not heard that he's been recently. I doubt that NP would be keen.

He did an interview with RL about a year after leaving us saying he was acting as an adviser to the owners as they were business people and didn't understand football.

Sousa went to the Cardiff game as Mandaric guest though you have to remember. He was clearly on the cards for a while

I am still baffled by the failure of Sven. To repeat a comment I have made before I talked to some Lazio fans in Rome soon after Sven became England manager and they described him as the best manager Lazio had ever had. It might have been Forest fans talking about Clough - except that Lazio fans spoke grammatically correct English.

There was talk among British journalists that the country had appointed a great manager and Sven did very well to rescue England from the bad position we were in after Keegan. His term as England manager was better than most England managers. There was talk of him becoming Chelsea manager and then of replacing Ferguson at Man U.I was really excited that Sven became Leicester manager.

Since leaving the England job his record has been spotty at best. What turns a manger from brilliance to mediocrity? It would be fascinating to know what people like the Birch Mike Stowell and Jon Rudkin who were there before Sven and after think of it.

I am still baffled by the failure of Sven

Just like in many other walks of life, money and age see off most managers. Sven was a terrific coach/manager whilst he was still hungry for it. When he took the England job, he was still a good manager and history will probably reflect that, during his time in charge, we did pretty well. Towards the end of his stint though, he was already complacent and lazy. I think every move he's made since England has been purely about money. He didn't come to Leicester for the challenge, he came because we paid him a ludicrous amount of money for him to go through the motions.

Ferguson was the exception, he never seemed to tire of it all and his application was remarkable. But for most, once you've done your thing in your chosen field, you just recycle the same old shite until it becomes outdated and nobody wants it any longer. There are loads of good managers that nobody would touch with a barge pole any longer. Brian Little, Micky Adams and Martin O'Neill were all terrific at their peak, but they're now all dried up with nothing much left in them.

That's why I think management is mainly a young man's game for a club like ours. Picking up someone that's done it elsewhere isn't likely to be a good move as they'll probably not be prepared to put in the graft to kick us on. Martin George was excellent at picking managers because he understood that it was important to get someone on the way up.

It will be interesting to see what NP has in him. He's clearly wanted to make it as a Premier League manager and this is probably his one and only chance to do it. He's been in management for fifteen years and isn't a young man. I wonder whether his mighty promotion bonus, bumper new contract and the knowledge that he's achieved this ambition serve to relax him into mediocrity or if he's now at his hungriest. It would have be good if an interviewer at some point was able to learn something about his character but I've never seen anything. I suppose we'll soon find out.

Just like in many other walks of life, money and age see off most managers. Sven was a terrific coach/manager whilst he was still hungry for it. When he took the England job, he was still a good manager and history will probably reflect that, during his time in charge, we did pretty well. Towards the end of his stint though, he was already complacent and lazy. I think every move he's made since England has been purely about money. He didn't come to Leicester for the challenge, he came because we paid him a ludicrous amount of money for him to go through the motions.

Ferguson was the exception, he never seemed to tire of it all and his application was remarkable. But for most, once you've done your thing in your chosen field, you just recycle the same old shite until it becomes outdated and nobody wants it any longer. There are loads of good managers that nobody would touch with a barge pole any longer. Brian Little, Micky Adams and Martin O'Neill were all terrific at their peak, but they're now all dried up with nothing much left in them.

That's why I think management is mainly a young man's game for a club like ours. Picking up someone that's done it elsewhere isn't likely to be a good move as they'll probably not be prepared to put in the graft to kick us on. Martin George was excellent at picking managers because he understood that it was important to get someone on the way up.

It will be interesting to see what NP has in him. He's clearly wanted to make it as a Premier League manager and this is probably his one and only chance to do it. He's been in management for fifteen years and isn't a young man. I wonder whether his mighty promotion bonus, bumper new contract and the knowledge that he's achieved this ambition serve to relax him into mediocrity or if he's now at his hungriest. It would have be good if an interviewer at some point was able to learn something about his character but I've never seen anything. I suppose we'll soon find out.

I'm guessing you didn't read the in-depth character interview with him in the telegraph?

Maybe it was the last straw :102:

Very neat.

Brown Nose that was a fascinating post. I think you have got very close to the answer. I have come to the conclusion that great managers have an emotional reaction "This is my moment to prove myself". Sven must have thought that with Lazio and then with England. For him Leicester must have seemed a step down.

Leicester fans think highly of Nigel Pearson; most football fans do not think of him at all. The Premier League is where reputations are made. Pearson will want to prove himself against Mourinho, Wenger and Von Gaal. We are all looking forward to next season but I would guess Nigel is looking forward to it more than any fan.

Leicester fans think highly of Nigel Pearson; most football fans do not think of him at all. The Premier League is where reputations are made. Pearson will want to prove himself against Mourinho, Wenger and Von Gaal. We are all looking forward to next season but I would guess Nigel is looking forward to it more than any fan.

I actually don't think NP is that highly thought of by many City fans. His name has rarely been chanted at games and many, myself included, would have been happy to see the back of him a year ago.

NP has always struck me as a manager with very little skill when it comes to varying tactics and a stubbornness that will be his downfall. However, some of these failings were absent last season which leads me to hope that he is still improving/learning. I'm genuinely fascinated to see how he adapts to the massive step up that next season will be. The first sign will be whether he's prepared to spend to improve us. I think we need another 5-6 quality players in.

There is an article about us on the Premier League site that you might find interesting: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/talking-tactics-leicester-city-have-cause-for-barclays-premier-league-optimism.html

I actually don't think NP is that highly thought of by many City fans. His name has rarely been chanted at games and many, myself included, would have been happy to see the back of him a year ago.

NP has always struck me as a manager with very little skill when it comes to varying tactics and a stubbornness that will be his downfall. However, some of these failings were absent last season which leads me to hope that he is still improving/learning. I'm genuinely fascinated to see how he adapts to the massive step up that next season will be. The first sign will be whether he's prepared to spend to improve us. I think we need another 5-6 quality players in.

There is an article about us on the Premier League site that you might find interesting: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/talking-tactics-leicester-city-have-cause-for-barclays-premier-league-optimism.html

As usual Brown Nose has written a very interesting post. My claim that fans think highly of Pearson is based on the comments of the people who sit round me at the match and what I read on this forum where "Pearson Out" has become a joke line. I accept that this is flimsy evidence. Do other people agree with Brown Nose that Pearson is not highly thought of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566