No More Swearing in the Family Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pray tell me what makes that hypocritical? I certainly don't blame the rest of the world for anything that is my own fault. :102:
It struck me that you were telling people to get off the moral high ground, but your were shouting the message from the moral high ground yourself.

I must have got it wrong, sorry.

Having spent the last 12 years working in schools, both primary and secondary, I can assure you that what they hear at a footy match is no worse that what they hear and use in the playground, both to each other and to members of staff.

In an ideal world we would all like to shelter our kids from bad language and the likes, but the fact of the matter is, the kids are often the worst perpetrators, and yes, I do mean the 5,6,7 year olds.

I can only assume that they have picked it up from home from parents who swear openly in front of their kids. This new found vocabulary is then practiced and extended once the kids are out and about with other kids.

Unfortunately, the very people who are trying to protect our children, have, as is the norm in these cases, gone too far, because as no-one is allowed to discipline kids any more, they are able to get away with it and, along with vandalism, graffiti and a whole host of other anti-social activities, becomes the norm within a certain section of our society which is then copied by their peers, who don't want to be seen to be different.

Having spent the last 12 years working in schools, both primary and secondary, I can assure you that what they hear at a footy match is no worse that what they hear and use in the playground, both to each other and to members of staff.

In an ideal world we would all like to shelter our kids from bad language and the likes, but the fact of the matter is, the kids are often the worst perpetrators, and yes, I do mean the 5,6,7 year olds.

I can only assume that they have picked it up from home from parents who swear openly in front of their kids. This new found vocabulary is then practiced and extended once the kids are out and about with other kids.

Unfortunately, the very people who are trying to protect our children, have, as is the norm in these cases, gone too far, because as no-one is allowed to discipline kids any more, they are able to get away with it and, along with vandalism, graffiti and a whole host of other anti-social activities, becomes the norm within a certain section of our society which is then copied by their peers, who don't want to be seen to be different.

Spot on mate :038::038::038::038::038:

Agreed. I used to hear adults swearing, but I knew that I wasn't allowed to.

I used to swear in front of my friends as a kid, but NEVER in front of another adult. To this day I have never swore in front of my Mum or Dad.

I used to swear in front of my friends as a kid, but NEVER in front of another adult. To this day I have never swore in front of my Mum or Dad.

Agreed, unfortunately though, today's kids don't have the same moral fortitude that previous generations had.

A lot of it comes down to respect, and there an increasing amount of kids today who have none. (For themselves or anyone else)

Last edited:

I have certainly never said **** or **** in front of them - it's just not right !

The fact that kids swear in the schoolyard etc. is nothing new, although nowadays they simply do it at an earlier age. Big deal

But that is still no justification for people to eff and blind in the specially segregated (and marketed as such) area that is the Family Stand

Reading some posts on here, I think some "fans" need to come down from their moral ground.
The purpose of the "family" enclosure is exactly that, for families. You take your family along, knowing that that part of the ground should be a safe environment.

If you think you can't help yourself from swearing in front of children, then maybe you should take a good look at yourself and stop blaming the world!

Well said. The key point is that we are talking about the family stand and parents with children. I have no objection to it in the Kop. However, a parent who chooses the family stand has a right to be offended by hearing someone swear in front of their child. I have no doubt that there will be the occasional outburst but hopefully it will be greatly reduced.
I liove the Kop with its passion, life and humour; I don't object to swearing there. But why would someone who needs to swear go in the family stand? .

I swear far too much in general conversation never mind football matches, in all honesty I can't see what is so offensive about many of the words that are deemed to be so bad....sh*t b*llocks etc all have meaning and me saying poo or balls isn't any better, just more poofy.

its a good idea to make one section a swear free zone but then does that mean we are free to swear in other areas of the ground? as far as i was aware that was never allowed anyway

Is swearing in a public place not an offence the OB could pull you in for?

Is swearing in a public place not an offence the OB could pull you in for?

i'm pretty sure its an offence if someone is within hearing distance (otherwise how the **** would they know) but if its just you and the police its fine (as long as its not aimed towards anyone)

i'm pretty sure its an offence if someone is within hearing distance (otherwise how the **** would they know) but if its just you and the police its fine (as long as its not aimed towards anyone)

another fine example of how shoddy our police force is. All that work for them and they just stand there.

I swear far too much in general conversation never mind football matches, in all honesty I can't see what is so offensive about many of the words that are deemed to be so bad....sh*t b*llocks etc all have meaning and me saying poo or balls isn't any better, just more poofy.

its a good idea to make one section a swear free zone but then does that mean we are free to swear in other areas of the ground? as far as i was aware that was never allowed anyway
I swear a lot, but I try to use it descriptively, rather than vulgarly.

ie. "It's f**king freezing", is colder than "It's freezing".

I swear a lot, but I try to use it descriptively, rather than vulgarly.

ie. "It's f**king freezing", is colder than "It's freezing".

its the context that makes it offensive which escapes certain folk

If I can't say f**k or c**t at a football match, then I don't want to go

If you are sat in the family stand and you swear in front of my children I will politely ask you to stop...first time.

I don't want my children saying 'you're a ****ing ****' until they understand the meaning and extreme nature of the words they are saying.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

If you are sat anywhere else in the stadium then traditionally it has been an adult environment and therefore swearing should be expected. So i won't take my children there.

more of this country wrapping kids in cotton wool thing.

Pretending to kids the world has no problems we all saints until they turn 16 and have a massive shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00