Not a conversation I expected to have...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertFox

Sorry to start a new thread, it really doesn't warrant one but all the old ones were closed.

Anyway, here's a conversation I did NOT expect to have today. I was driving north from near the Mexican border on I-19, effectively a motorway, and I came up to the big permanent border patrol checkpoint that's there. It was busier than I'd ever seen it. I always have to show my green card so I'm used to stopping longer than most people. The usual sniffer dogs were checking out each vehicle, three lanes of traffic, surrounded by fairly hostile desert, cacti, big burly men in uniforms, a few Mexicans looking a bit sweaty, the usual scene.

I pull over. At first the American border patrol agent asks the standard questions:

US citizen?

No. I show him my permanent resident card.

Where are you from?

England, but I live in Tucson.

Where in England?

Er, a place called Leicester. You won't have heard...

Do you like football?

Er, yes.

Leicester City?

Errrrr. Yes!

Do you like Jack Hobbs?

Whaaaaat?!

He's my best friend's friend. He should have stayed at Liverpool I reckon, but at least he's getting some games now. He'll be back in the Premier League soon. Really solid at the back. He's been good for your lot, hasn't he?

(me)........ (speechless)

Have a nice day sir.

:icon_eek: Could have knocked me down with a feather!

:tumbleweed:

Something a bit along those lines happened to me in the US, we were traveling in the middle of nowhere and stopped off to get some petrol. I went to draw some money out from the cash machine and there was some guy in front of me in the queue.

He was talking on his mobile so I could hear his voice and I thought it sounded a bit familiar. I asked him where he was from and he said England. I asked where abouts and he said Leicester, again I asked where abouts in Leicester and he said Wigston.... turns out this random in the middle of nowhere lived a stones throw from me and was in my brothers class at school.

Bizarre when it happens.

I asked him where he was from and he said England. I asked where abouts and he said Leicester, again I asked where abouts in Leicester and he said Wigston

By that stage I'd have asked if you were playing 20 questions or something :)

By that stage I'd have asked if you were playing 20 questions or something :)

Ha... I thought that myself when I wrote it, the conversation didn't go exactly like that thankfully.

Met a taxi driver in Limassol, Cyprus whose brother was City's club doctor.

He then stated where he lived, the training grounds address and the catalogue of injuries at the time.

Interesting....also met Clive Allen on the same holiday (uncle spoke to Harry Redknapp too).

Met a taxi driver in Limassol, Cyprus whose brother was City's club doctor.

He then stated where he lived, the training grounds address and the catalogue of injuries at the time.

Interesting....also met Clive Allen on the same holiday (uncle spoke to Harry Redknapp too).

Ian Patchett is citys club doctor. I assume your taxi driver wasn't Cypriot.

My 2nd cousin's friend had a story like this, he was in America in the middle of nowhere and went to get some petrol at a garage, and stock up on some drinks and food etc. Then the guy who served him said are you from England? and he said yes and then he said how are Leicester doing? Small world eh?

I spent the whole of our holiday in Jamaica being called Frank Sinclair own goal king by the hotel bar staff. I wouldn't mind but I've never scored an own goal!

I went on holiday to Limassol and went into a bar ordered a beer and the guy asked where i was from. "Leicester" I replied. " Really wow where in Leicester? " he asked. "Glen Parva" i replied. "you are not going to believe this" he said "guess where im from" he added. "glen Pava?" I replied "no limassol you twat" I never went back.

I went on holiday to Limassol and went into a bar ordered a beer and the guy asked where i was from. "Leicester" I replied. " Really wow where in Leicester? " he asked. "Glen Parva" i replied. "you are not going to believe this" he said "guess where im from" he added. "glen Pava?" I replied "no limassol you twat" I never went back.
:icon_lol: :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4595
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570