NOT Change the table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Change the table...

I can't spell very well at all and still got an A-Level in English....furthering any claims that exams are getting easier - must be a piece of piss by now :icon_lol:

I can't spell very well at all and still got an A-Level in English....furthering any claims that exams are getting easier - must be a piece of piss by now :icon_lol:

No, the youth of today are cleverer than the youth of years ago.

No, the youth of today are cleverer than the youth of years ago.

It's definitely much easier to get into universities these days.

There's no way the standard of English shown by many current university students would have been tolerated 20 years ago. It's probably due to the way English is taught these days, kids don't seem to be told when they get things wrong.

There's no way the standard of English shown by many current university students would have been tolerated 20 years ago. It's probably due to the way English is taught these days, kids don't seem to be told when they get things wrong.

Spellnig isn't as important nowadays, spell checkers are pretty common in any job. Not saying I agree, but I think that's the cause.

I certainly do on here.

Granted though it is easier to get into uni these days as they seem to take anyone. I however don't think A-levels are that much easier, my teachers even says they are not.

Spellnig isn't as important nowadays, spell checkers are pretty common in any job.

The problem with relying on spell checkers is that they can't spot everything.

There's no way university students should get there/their/they're, your/you're etc wrong, but it happens all the time.

Another thing that annoys me is people getting bought/brought wrong. They're basic words that people use from a young age but they're still getting them wrong after 10+ years of English lessons.

If people can't learn the basics after all those years what chance have they got of remembering anything they learn when they do a degree?

Another thing that annoys me is people getting bought/brought wrong. They're basic words that people use from a young age but they're still getting them wrong after 10+ years of English lessons.

For me as a non-native English speaker I can't quite understand why people do that mistake, is it pronounced that way? Why add the r?

I have more trouble with grammar than spelling tbh.

For me as a non-native English speaker I can't quite understand why people do that mistake, is it pronounced that way? Why add the r?

I have more trouble with grammar than spelling tbh.

They're two different words.

Bought - When you buy something
e.g. "I went to the Shop and bought a Lottery ticket."

Brought - When you bring something.
e.g. "I'm here and i've brought a few bottles of beer."

The problem with relying on spell checkers is that they can't spot everything.

There's no way university students should get there/their/they're, your/you're etc wrong, but it happens all the time.

If people can't learn the basics after all those years what chance have they got of remembering anything they learn when they do a degree?

I agree. Also how many kids read for fun anymore? If you look at the book club forum on here, I don't think any of the school age kids have contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46