Ornamental Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melts, I have 2 types of feed -I bought a very fine pellet yesterday and my tank cam with a sample of a slightly larger pellet.

The sample pellets float nicely and although are too large for my tetras to eat whole they do seem to manage them once they break down a bit.

The smaller pellets, which I am sure they could eat comfortably, just fall to the bottom before theyve even noticed theyve been put in to the tank, hence dont get eaten.

What to do??

What to do??
Buy some flake.

The sinking stuff will drop in the gaps in your substrate and the fish won't be able to reach them. The only thing that that will happen then is the untouched food will pollute your water.

Buy some flake and feed only one or two flakes at a time. If they polish those off in a few seconds, drop a couple more in.

Are you on here 24-7 waiting to answer any fish related questions ?

Buy some flake.

The sinking stuff will drop in the gaps in your substrate and the fish won't be able to reach them. The only thing that that will happen then is the untouched food will pollute your water.

Buy some flake and feed only one or two flakes at a time. If they polish those off in a few seconds, drop a couple more in.

cool, thanks

Melts, my pH is not settling down in my marine tank ,the pH level is8.0- 8.2 normally but of late is anywhere from 8.2-9.3 and has varied over the past 3 days,the only thing ive added is 5 hermit crads and 4 turbo snails, plus some live coral 2kg .

thanks in advance

newts

Last edited:
Melts, my pH is not settling down in my marine tank ,the pH level is8.0- 8.2 normally but of late is anywhere from 8.2-9.3 and has varied over the past 3 days,the only thing ive added is 5 hermit crads and 4 turbo snails, plus some live coral 2kg .

When I used to keep tropical fish, I used to make it a rule never to introduce more than one new thing at a time. Then if things started going wrong, I would know exactly what had caused it.

thanks in advance

newts
Very difficult to say.

The tropical marine environment is very, very stable with almost zero fluctuations. Fluctuations to this extent in your marine tank are lethal and need to be sorted.

Do the fluctuations happen after a partial water change?

It is very different Bob ,from fresh water
But the rule of thumb that Boc just highlighted, is a very common sense approach to all areas of fishkeeping, especially marine and Koi.

It is very different Bob ,from fresh water

It's very different - but the problem of not knowing which of several newly introduced items is causing a problem is exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669