Our 25 man squad for season 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodgers spoke after the game last night and seemed to infer that the squad will be split for the two friendlies on Saturday.

Those going to Stoke will be in his squad this season and those going to Rotherham will be kids/surplus to requirements.

He'll then focus his preparations for the season on the 'Stoke group' going forward.

He wants lots of midfielders in his squad but a lean group in terms of numbers as we're not in Europe. He was clear that he still wants more new players if the club can get them.

Also said Ndidi will be available for the Wolves game but won't play any preseason matches.
Thanks BN.

He was pretty cagey about Mendy’s future as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave.

Rodgers also said the squad will be trimmed next week when asked about departures.

Sadly (from my perspective) Mendy is one of the more likely to go. Likely because he's a decent player that'd interest a number of teams (i.e. saleable) and he is arguably surplus to needs. Given that we need to thin out, he becomes an obvious candidate as one of the easier players to move on.

Or viewed another way, we could well be left with players of lesser value/use to us.

Well, it would need to be good money for Mendy - I think he's decent. Who would you rather have, King, Silva or Mendy as backup for N'Didi & Chouders??

Well, it would need to be good money for Mendy - I think he's decent. Who would you rather have, King, Silva or Mendy as backup for N'Didi & Chouders??
NDidi and Choudhury competing for the starting spot, Amartey as emergency back up, whilst also covering 2 other positions.

bare in mind Mendy will be on a decent amount of money too, more than a 3rd choice should be on

On the basis that we need two players for each position as the main structure for our first team squad, I have the following 20 as nailed on to be named in the 25:

Schmeichel / Ward /Ricardo / Amartey / Evans / Soyuncu / Morgan / Benkovic / Chilwell / Fuchs / Ndidi / Choudhury / Tielemans / Albrighton / Maddison / Barnes / Perez / Gray / Vardy / Iheanacho

I'm not including Maguire as I still think he's more likely to go than stay. If he does go, it appears that the plan is to replace him anyway. In addition, we seem likely to sign another central midfielder and another wide player before deadline day. So, that takes us up to 23 out of 25.

We then have 17 more over 21 year old players that would need to be registered to play. These are:

Jakupovic / Iverson / Knight / Moore / Hughes / Elder / Mendy / King / James / Silva / Thomas / Kapustka / Diabate / Ghezzal / Slimani / Uche / Loft

We'll obviously be loaning quite a lot of these out. Indeed, 10 of the 17 were out on loan last season. The rest we've got to sell or they'll be hangers on without a place in the squad and doing nothing except getting in the way of younger players.

There is an argument for a third keeper and retaining one other. It's harsh on someone like Mendy but being in the last year of his contract and third choice as holding midfielder, what's the point in him being there? If we can sell him, we obviously should. If not, maybe he takes the final place.

There are then a lot of U21 players such as Justin and Johnson and Leshabala and Johannson and Pascanu that we don't want to block from the odd game or place on the bench. The above 17 need clearing out to enable this. Indeed, the U23 squad is also very bloated which means we'll want to loan out quite a few of them too. It's not beyond possibility that we hit over 20 loans out this season.

We've got the added OHL issue too. We tend to loan them a few each season and it's really not worked out for either party so far. So we need to send them players that are going to benefit from it and who will contribute towards getting them into the top Belguim division to make our link up more beneficial.

We've employed our former player Guy Branston to the role of 'Loans Manager'. I think he's going to be extremely busy over the next couple of weeks.

LM nick BNs post once again:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...er-news/leicester-city-gear-up-summer-3132375

Rodgers spoke after the game last night and seemed to infer that the squad will be split for the two friendlies on Saturday.

Those going to Stoke will be in his squad this season and those going to Rotherham will be kids/surplus to requirements.

He'll then focus his preparations for the season on the 'Stoke group' going forward.

He wants lots of midfielders in his squad but a lean group in terms of numbers as we're not in Europe. He was clear that he still wants more new players if the club can get them.

Also said Ndidi will be available for the Wolves game but won't play any preseason matches.
Harvey Barnes in the Rotherham squad...Hmmmm....

Stoke City

Marc Albrighton
Filip Benković
Ben Chilwell
Hamza Choudhury
Fousseni Diabaté
Callum Elder
Jonny Evans
Viktor Johansson
Khanya Leshabela
James Maddison
Harry Maguire
Ricardo Pereira
Ayoze Pérez
Kasper Schmeichel
George Thomas
Youri Tielemans
Jamie Vardy
Rotherham United

Daniel Amartey
Harvey Barnes
Christian Fuchs
Rachid Ghezzal
Demarai Gray
Kelechi Iheanacho
Eldin Jakupović
James Justin
Andy King
Nampalys Mendy
Elliott Moore
Wes Morgan
Admiral Muskwe
Adrien Silva
Çağlar Söyüncü
Calvin Ughelumba
Danny Ward

I suspect he'd like those in the main squad to get as many minutes as possible. It always seemed a bit odd to me to have players that would be very close to the first team only getting 20 mins or so, if they started on the bench at Stoke.

I suspect he'd like those in the main squad to get as many minutes as possible. It always seemed a bit odd to me to have players that would be very close to the first team only getting 20 mins or so, if they started on the bench at Stoke.
Agree. No way George Thomas will be ahead of Harvey Barnes in the pecking order

Agree. No way George Thomas will be ahead of Harvey Barnes in the pecking order
Yep. The team at Rotherham could look something like this: Ward, Justin, Morgan, Soyuncu, Fuchs, Amartey. King, Ghezzal, Gray, Barnes, Iheanacho , for example, which would all put minutes into players who, in most cases, will be in the first team squad.

Well my interpretation of Rodgers comments was clearly garbage. Apologies.

The key missing names are: Hughes, Knight, Ndidi, Slimani, James, Kapustka, Uche and Loft.

James and Kapustka are injured. Ndidi and Slimani are still on their holiday. No idea re the other four.

A Stoke line up of: Schmeichel, Ricardo, Evans, Maguire, Chilwell, Choudhury, Maddison, Tielemans, Perez, Albrighton, Vardy looks pretty like our starting line up against Wolves.

A Stoke line up of: Schmeichel, Ricardo, Evans, Maguire, Chilwell, Choudhury, Maddison, Tielemans, Perez, Albrighton, Vardy looks pretty like our starting line up against Wolves.

Yeah, I reckon so too - assuming that Wilf is considered to be not match fit (which he won't be)

Well, my interpretation of Rodgers comments was clearly garbage. Apologies.

There are those of us that hope you're similarly mistaken on the issue of the Maguire transfer.

Do you reckon Callum Elder ever wonders what the ****’s going on? Will he retire a Leicester City employee having never played a first team fixture, and done nothing but sign new contract extensions and go on loan to lower league clubs for his whole career?

Do you reckon Callum Elder ever wonders what the ****’s going on? Will he retire a Leicester City employee having never played a first team fixture, and done nothing but sign new contract extensions and go on loan to lower league clubs for his whole career?
he could always, not sign an extension and move to a club permanently where he will play

I agree. He's the oddest case I think we've ever had. Joined us at 16 and has never played once. He's 25 in January. Seriously, what's the point?

From his perspective, he probably knows he's never going to be anything special so is happy to sign on for additional years.

Conrad Logan (23 appearances in 10 years) was positively prolific in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263