Our 25 man squad for season 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, surely we’re not paying him as much as he’d get as a first teamer in League One? Being a reserve for as long as he has must be soul destroying.

Conrad/Callum both 6 letters, Logan/Elder both 5 letters. They (he?) never play. Has anyone ever seen them both in the same room?

He's not very good either is he?
League 1 standard.

we have 2 promising left backs in the U23s/U18s keeping Elder around is an odd one, I can only assume we are making money off of him in loan fees to make his wages worth while.

I can't help but question his ambition though that he is still here

League 1 standard.

we have 2 promising left backs in the U23s/U18s keeping Elder around is an odd one, I can only assume we are making money off of him in loan fees to make his wages worth while.

I can't help but question his ambition though that he is still here
What is his contract, though? Maybe he’s (somehow) being paid more than the average similar contract at that level and therefore it works for him too?

Conrad was pretty decent as a back up for the level we were at the time, and I remember one season where he did look like becoming the first choice at least. Elder is older than Chilwell and, despite his age, Fuchs is still preferable as a backup. Apparently there's another left-back coming through the youth ranks who we've high hopes for too so I don't see the point of keeping him, from the limited game time he's had out at loan it doesn't look like we'd be likely to sell him for very much - surely best for everyone to release him so he can sign permanently at somewhere at the level he'll get a game.

Do you reckon Callum Elder ever wonders what the ****’s going on? Will he retire a Leicester City employee having never played a first team fixture, and done nothing but sign new contract extensions and go on loan to lower league clubs for his whole career?

He could ask Guy Branston, stalwart of FNF for years in the ‘90s, eventually playing for around 20 lower league clubs and recently pitched up as Loans Manager for our Academy.

Conrad was pretty decent as a back up for the level we were at the time, and I remember one season where he did look like becoming the first choice at least. Elder is older than Chilwell and, despite his age, Fuchs is still preferable as a backup. Apparently there's another left-back coming through the youth ranks who we've high hopes for too so I don't see the point of keeping him, from the limited game time he's had out at loan it doesn't look like we'd be likely to sell him for very much - surely best for everyone to release him so he can sign permanently at somewhere at the level he'll get a game.

As we were sinking into League 1, Conrad was out on Loan at Stockport and performed heroics as they won promotion ... to League 1. One of the few things that raised a wry smile for me that season

I do wonder if Rodgers would have the balls to Joe Hart Kasper, his distribution is so poor it will drive him nuts long term but selling/dropping Kasper will come with a massive backlash

As I alluded to earlier/elsewhere, KS is somewhat prone to the wayward pass. It's the sort of error, no matter how infrequent or otherwise mitigated, that can cost goals and games. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers has scribbled a note on his ever present jotterpad.

On a different subject (and why I ventured onto this thread), Hamza. I've been thinking about him of late and getting quite excited (settle down at the back) As has been noted, he's turning into an excellent player, having developed quite a bit since his first nervous inclusion in the 1st team. I can even see him getting the nod over Ndidi in certain matches, where his different skills offer us the option of subtly altering our tactics. Ndidi is probably stronger defensively, gives better cover for the centre backs and covers more ground in the defensive midfield area - whereas Hamza is maybe more successful creatively further up the pitch, arguably a better passer of the ball.

I don't think it's a simple either/or choice, I think you will see the 2 of them used together, but the similarities between the two mean they can both play the same position whilst their different strengths can be used to our advantage, dependant on the opposition and situation within a game.

For me, it just highlights the talents available within our squad and the options that gives us. As I say, quite exciting on the eve of the new season.

(BTW, sorry to sound optimistic - normal service will be resumed, probably 2 or 3 weeks into the season)

I realise this isn't the 25 man squad listing, but squad numbers are as follows:

1. Kasper Schmeichel
2. James Justin
3. Ben Chilwell
4. Çağlar Söyüncü
5. Wes Morgan
6. Jonny Evans
7. Demarai Gray
8. Youri Tielemans
9. Jamie Vardy
10. James Maddison
11. Marc Albrighton
12. Danny Ward
13. Islam Slimani
14. Kelechi Iheanacho
15. Harry Maguire
16. Filip Benković
17. Ayoze Pérez
18. Daniel Amartey
19. Harvey Barnes
20. Hamza Choudhury
21. Ricardo Pereira
22. Matty James
23. Adrien Silva
24. Nampalys Mendy
25. Wilfred Ndidi
27. Fousseni Diabaté
28. Christian Fuchs
31. Rachid Ghezzal
35. Eldin Jakupović
37. Andy King

Schmeichel / Ward / Ricardo / Amartey / Evans / Soyuncu / Morgan / Benkovic / Chilwell / Fuchs / Ndidi / Choudhury / Tielemans / Albrighton / Maddison / Barnes / Perez / Gray / Vardy / Iheanacho / Maguire
Jakupovic / Iverson / Knight / Moore / Hughes / Elder / Mendy / King / James / Silva / Thomas / Kapustka / Diabate / Ghezzal / Slimani / Uche / Loft

So far we've moved 4 of the 38 O21 players out on loan. Looks like Maguire and Amartey are on their way next. Lots still need moving on, especially if we're going to bringing in another 2-3.

Kapustka is injured and I doubt whether he'll get a move. Not heard much about Hughes - is he fit? James is James. None of these will get a squad place though so they'll just be keeping the physios busy.

No takers are apparent for the expensive wastes of space - Silva, Slimani, Ghezzal - although I doubt whether any would stay in England so the timetable for selling them is better.

Expecting to see announcements re the likes of Elder, Diabate, Thomas, Uche - they can all go permanently surely.

I think Silva will go to a French team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265