Parking Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know how much something like that would cost - and who would pay for it?

Encouraging people to leave the car at home and use buses is by far the most cost effective way of reducing the traffic in the city.

You have a point. No commerical profit. However, I noticed two weeks ago - I took my car to town, it cost me £2.50 to park it in the centre for a couple of hours. It would have cost me £3 in bus fares and together with my Mam even with return tickets £5.

Not if they are the same bus company. I get the first from my house to town then walk straight onto the bus to oadby. Both are First buses and I get a week pass for £12, unlimited journeys anywhere in Leicester.

If they are different companies though then yes it is expensive.

Time wise if they buses sync up like they normally do I get from b.leighs(leys) to oadby in about 35 minutes, it takes 25 - 30 minutes to drive.

I may just be lucky though.

Now I've got a new job in Cov though I have had to buy a car, which is shame really, I like relaxing on the bus with my iPod.

Different bus companies, so I would be totally screwed. Considering I am only just outside city boundaries, getting a bus that turns up at the time specified is an impossible task

You have a point. No commerical profit.

It could be a commercial success and make an operating profit, but no company is going to take the risk with the amount of money involved to build it in the first place.
For example the next stage of Nottingham's tram system will cost over £500 million. Even if that is paid back from profits, it's taxpayers who pay for it in the first place and there's no guarantee the money will be paid back, or how long it will take.

However, I noticed two weeks ago - I took my car to town, it cost me £2.50 to park it in the centre for a couple of hours. It would have cost me £3 in bus fares and together with my Mam even with return tickets £5.

You've not included the cost of the petrol and other costs associated with with running the car.

But the main problem is the number of people driving short distances with no passengers, clogging up the roads unnecessarily. There will always be people who need to use the car, but there are thousands who don't need to who use it anyway even if there are faster and cheaper alternatives.

Different bus companies, so I would be totally screwed. Considering I am only just outside city boundaries, getting a bus that turns up at the time specified is an impossible task

Living out in the sticks the buses into Leicester are expensive, unreliable and aren't available at convenient times in the morning, ie it's almost impossible to get there before 9am .

ItThere will always be people who need to use the car

It ****s me off, the people who move out to some shitty hamlet and then whine about fuel prices because they need their car (all too often a silly 4x4 because Leicestershire villages are the last real frontier).

It ****s me off, the people who move out to some shitty hamlet and then whine about fuel prices because they need their car (all too often a silly 4x4 because Leicestershire villages are the last real frontier).

I moved to a village as it was cheaper to buy a house there, some 30k cheaper than for a similar house in Hinckley. I therefore have to drive to work as it would take an age to get the bus in. I alos use my car whilst at work. I still moan about petrol prices though, I am a bad person?

I moved to a village as it was cheaper to buy a house there, some 30k cheaper than for a similar house in Hinckley. I therefore have to drive to work as it would take an age to get the bus in. I alos use my car whilst at work. I still moan about petrol prices though, I am a bad person?

Kind of answered yourself there :icon_wink

When I went into Leicester and used the buses the biggest problem I found were all the old coffin dodgers taking up all the seats on the buses in 'Rush 'Hour'.The old feckers have all day so they should be made to travel outside of peak times or if they must then they should pay full fare

Last edited:
When I went into Leicester and used the buses the biggest problem I found were all the old coffin dodgers taking up all the seats on the buses in 'Rush 'Hour'.The old feckers have all day so they should be made to travel outside of peak times or if they must then they should pay full fare

believe they have to travel after 9.30 now to get their free fare thing...

It won't be long before beard tax is reintroduced, thus gaining more money in VAT through increased sales of shaving products.

there's no VAT on razors...

:icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673