Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ, you'd think the council were making fans walk barefoot over hot coals to get from their precious cars to the stadium.

It's not just football, but this god-given right people seem to think they have to park where they want, when they want is actually laughable. Surely there are more important things to worry about in life.

For the record, we walk to games along the Great Central Way, almost from Blaby. I'm actually glad of the exercise, and the fresh air.

Jesus Christ, you'd think the council were making fans walk barefoot over hot coals to get from their precious cars to the stadium.

It's not just football, but this god-given right people seem to think they have to park where they want, when they want is actually laughable. Surely there are more important things to worry about in life.

For the record, we walk to games along the Great Central Way, almost from Blaby. I'm actually glad of the exercise, and the fresh air.
You know some people can't walk that far, right?

Dirty red sock fecker.

I bet you look miserable at the same time, I'm sure it's a requirement that all walkers look utterly miserable.

We have residents parking now on our street, or rather one side of the street. The other side are public meters where shoppers can park free for an hour, 50p for two hours or a quid for the day, which is a damn site cheaper than parking near the stadium. I walk from our street to games, takes me ten minutes. Seems extremely reasonable to me. And no, the vast majority on our street are not students.

Jenks that being the case I'd be interested to know what your street is, because that sounds like valuable information for the new season.

Westcotes Drive mate

You can park for free in our street, it's a bit of a walk to the KP but the price is right.

I have trouble walking and the last game I attended we parked across the road from the ground, the car park owner accepted a payment from my friend, job done.

I imagine that guy makes a fair profit every home game.

For the wider scale issue tho, what's a proper solution? How do other clubs handle it?

I think the location of the ground isnt ideal, its too near the city center and from what I see not on any bus routes either. If they built it near lots of open fields on the outskirts of the city then they could also have made loads of car parking spaces. Of course not 10s of thousands of spaces but better than what is now. This especially the case given most fans dont live inside leics city.

You guys do need to give a bit more respect for those of us who do live near the city center. Thinking it doesnt matter to use residential side streets for city center and sports event parking.

Last edited:
For the wider scale issue tho, what's a proper solution? How do other clubs handle it?
The fans bitch about it like at all other clubs.The parking in the residential area around our ground has been made pretty much all restricted, and this is patrolled ruthlessly on match days. Quite right too.I have noticed several of the local businesses and the local high school take the opportunity to exploit their land for match day parking.However, the club provides ample parking for fans who are registered disabled, we have good rail links with two stations in easy reach of the ground, and a bus stops outside the stadium. There is also the opportunity for people of restricted mobility to get a lift from family, friends or a taxi.Some people want it laid on a ****ing plate.

The fans bitch about it like at all other clubs.The parking in the residential area around our ground has been made pretty much all restricted, and this is patrolled ruthlessly on match days. Quite right too.I have noticed several of the local businesses and the local high school take the opportunity to exploit their land for match day parking.However, the club provides ample parking for fans who are registered disabled, we have good rail links with two stations in easy reach of the ground, and a bus stops outside the stadium. There is also the opportunity for people of restricted mobility to get a lift from family, friends or a taxi.Some people want it laid on a ****ing plate.

i want the moon on a stick

I have trouble walking and the last game I attended we parked across the road from the ground, the car park owner accepted a payment from my friend, job done.

I imagine that guy makes a fair profit every home game.

I think the location of the ground isnt ideal, its too near the city center and from what I see not on any bus routes either. If they built it near lots of open fields on the outskirts of the city then they could also have made loads of car parking spaces. Of course not 10s of thousands of spaces but better than what is now. This especially the case given most fans dont live inside leics city.

You guys do need to give a bit more respect for those of us who do live near the city center. Thinking it doesnt matter to use residential side streets for city center and sports event parking.
There are plenty of buses, and with the bus companies offering day tickets, getting to within a very short distance should be no problem (there are stops going to and from the City centre just after the point where the roads are closed before and after games). I would much rather have the stadium placed somewhere that is easily accessible to those who have to rely on public transport. As a regular away traveller, I'm not a fan of out of town developments where there is little option but to use the car. Getting to and from those games can be a nightmare, as the traffic is horrendous, and could have been avoided by providing decent public transport links.

I have no problem with people who have mobility problems being able to park closer to the stadium. It wouldn't be an issue if those who are fit and able didn't want to park practically outside the turnstiles, and as I said above, it's an attitude not just linked to football.

I qualified my earlier post with the statement I walk to home games. That is my choice, and I'm glad I'm able to do so. I'd rather not drive anywhere, if I can help it. I honestly believe that there are far too many cars. People who genuinely can't walk far should have the necessary Blue Badge to assist in getting parked up closer to their destinations, so what I say shouldn't matter.

There are plenty of buses, and with the bus companies offering day tickets, getting to within a very short distance should be no problem (there are stops going to and from the City centre just after the point where the roads are closed before and after games). I would much rather have the stadium placed somewhere that is easily accessible to those who have to rely on public transport. As a regular away traveller, I'm not a fan of out of town developments where there is little option but to use the car. Getting to and from those games can be a nightmare, as the traffic is horrendous, and could have been avoided by providing decent public transport links.
I agree with all this. I travel to most away games by rail, and really like the grounds that are situated in the centre of town. Coventry tried to out of town solution and I really think it depressed their gates by at least a few thousand per game. People don't want to travel to the back of beyond to watch a game of football being played at a soulless out of town industrial/shopping estate.

ok if you guys with experience state its better near the city area, I will accept your word and take back my earlier thoughts on location.

I dont know of any bus routes aside from a once an hour mini bus that goes down upperton road.

ok if you guys with experience state its better near the city area, I will accept your word and take back my earlier thoughts on location.

I dont know of any bus routes aside from a once an hour mini bus that goes down upperton road.

There are loads of buses along Aylestone Road, that stop less than five minutes walk from the stadium.

84, 85, 86 & 87 all stop at Freemans Common and further round on Aylestone Rd.
There is an 84 or 85 at least every 15 minutes. Can be caught outside each of the two Tesco stores on Belvoir St. If you're at the other end of town it's outside wilkos or st Margaret's bus station.

if there are 4 or more of you it's probably cheaper to get a taxi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566