Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am absolutely flabbergasted. Pearson's longest stretch at Leicester was what, 2 1/2 years? In that we got promoted and made the championship playoffs.

Now Pearson is back. He's been here about a year and a half, trimmed the wage bill and bought a young exciting set of players we have all seen play very well at times this season, and made the playoffs.

The fact that his position is being questioned at this point is, IMO, mad.

The argument is 'there is better out there'.

Great, that worked well with Paulo Sousa and Sven, didn't it… there is NO proof that Lennon would be any better in this league.

And the mere suggestion by any Leicester fan ever again, ever, is just preposterous. It has to be a joke. Right?

Right?

As an aside, there is a case that pretty much everyone NP, or to be more specific, Steve Walsh, recruits are flaky players. So many drift in and out of form like a cloud passing over the KP.

I am sure I'm with a good percentage of people as has been previously stated who respect your posts, but I don't agree here.

My impression is it's an age problem, not a recruitment problem. I can barely even name a player who is under 23 who plays incredibly well weeke in week out. If every player that age was consistently amazing Eden Hazard should be on about 40 goals, and Danny Welbeck shouldn't have had the horrific season he's had. Maybe Manchester United also sign 'flaky' players.

Marshall, Wood & Danns.

Danns was never that good, decent player in a team of shit. Classic Sven signing.

Wood is apparently crap because he is out of form, like all strikers he should of course score 3 every game if he has done it once.

Marshall.. Well, can't disagree, I actually don't think Marshall was a great signing. Like a young Gallagher. Luxury player.

It's a recruitment problem if you sign young players and fill your team with them.

It was his mandate to also get rid of the old, high earning, worthless players and bring in young players with potential and value.

Even though you say Wood & Marshall have gone backwards they definitely wouldn't be sold for any less than they were bought for and most likely more.

Danns is a bit of a can of worms, so(me) would argue he is worth a place in the squad/bench but there is a clear clash of personalities here which would never bring out the best in him. Danns might be a **** but Pearson could be too, no one knows so impossible to blame any.

Last edited:
Morgan is no better or worse than at Florist. He was poorer when he joined us because he'd spent the season out through injury.

De Laet is no better than he was the day he joined us. He's still positionally incompetent and cannot mark. Aside from that, he's an okay right back.

James hasn't improved as a player because of NP at all. He's said himself that he suffered from a lack of confidence due to injuries he'd suffered and it is only with consecutive matches that he's developed.

There is a strong case that both Drinkwater and Schmeichel have got quite a bit worse under NP. I recall watching both play prior to working for him and both impressed me more then. NP has totally destroyed Schmeichel's distribution.

King has been a better player under NP than he was under Sven. Who knows if he'd be better or worse had he never worked under NP.

Shall I list players who've turned to total shite under NP? The list is quite a bit longer than yours.

It's funny how when things go wrong people like yourself are quick to blame the manager, but when things go right, i.e., the way players like King and James are performing, the manager gets zero credit. You can't say Morgan was poorer when he joined us, he was just injured.

Sure James had a lack of confidence, but who'd be the one to re-install that? Pearson. How have Drinkwater and Kasper become worse? What do you base that on? Kasper has made more of statement and improved his game tons since he joined us, and even more so in the last year. He was in the top 5 in the league in terms of clean sheets this season and had more than when he was at Leeds. Drinkwater was great for us when he first came but has been inconsistent this season. Is that completely NP's fault?

By the way you're talking, any failure is the manager's responsibility, but any success is down to form, or is because the player has returned from injury or had a "lack of confidence."

Best thread in the world and the best part is that Chris Powell aside, most potential managerial wish lists are a list of ****tards and journeymen. McLeish, Warnock, McClaren are all laughable, Holloway is just a piss take, Steve Keane, Kenny Jackett et al are not fit to lace Pearsons trainers and as for Lennon, whom was a ledge as a player, the guy is winning a league where the only serious competition has been relegated to the 3rd division, his antics on the touch line are nothing short of embarrassing, his interviews at times are unprofessional and unbecoming of a manager at a club heaped in tradition and if the rumour is true that he believes Nugent is good enough to play champions league football then I am afraid he needs locking up in the nearest loony bin.

So all in all that fine list leaves me even more convinced that our Nige should be given the opportunity to move on the remaining wasters in the squad and go again with an even more competitive squad with togetherness and belief. Automatic promotion next season I reckon. Anyway I am right and all you doubters are clearly, wrong, deluded and fools ......close thread

Aidy Boothroyd FFS :)

Best thread in the world and the best part is that Chris Powell aside, most potential managerial wish lists are a list of ****tards and journeymen. McLeish, Warnock, McClaren are all laughable, Holloway is just a piss take, Steve Keane, Kenny Jackett et al are not fit to lace Pearsons trainers and as for Lennon, whom was a ledge as a player, the guy is winning a league where the only serious competition has been relegated to the 3rd division, his antics on the touch line are nothing short of embarrassing, his interviews at times are unprofessional and unbecoming of a manager at a club heaped in tradition and if the rumour is true that he believes Nugent is good enough to play champions league football then I am afraid he needs locking up in the nearest loony bin.

So all in all that fine list leaves me even more convinced that our Nige should be given the opportunity to move on the remaining wasters in the squad and go again with an even more competitive squad with togetherness and belief. Automatic promotion next season I reckon. Anyway I am right and all you doubters are clearly, wrong, deluded and fools ......close thread

Aidy Boothroyd FFS :)

Couldn't have put it better!

And how have you measured their success prior to joining us?

It's a good job i'm bored.

Wood scored a large number of goals prior to and immediately after joining us. We're not playing to his style, simple as that (see why below), his head is down and has a face like a smacked arse most of the time. I don't think Pearson can deal with players like Wood that need confidence boosts.

Danns was the Palace player of the season prior to joining us. He should have been kept, he was a good energy player that forced errors and flew around the midfield not too dissimilar to Savage, yes not the most gifted player but Drinkwater has been a lethargic waste of a place when he came on. Not worthy of a starting spot but in my opinion he was a better option to what we ended up with warming the bench.

Marshall, played well on loan, we signed him never managed to get a large number of consistent performances from him. Sporadic performances from a player that we know can play well. An enigma, brilliant, shit, brilliant, shit. Personally I think the kid is an idiot who started to believe his own hype.

Here is my take on the Jan/Feb collapse, we played badly against Boro and Wolves but won then lost the following two league games, NP bottled it and started playing us more defensively.

Our wide men were reigned back from playing on the fullbacks, Knockeart was pulled into playing tighter to our own 18 yard, we started to ask him to pick the ball up deeper and then had to beat the winger, fullback plus any CM that closed him down. He was most effective picking the ball up on the half way line, drifting past a full back and getting towards the touchline and pulling it back or crossing. How many nice diagonal one-twos did we use to see. It becomes harder when the wingers are too deep in the first place to then get to the ball played into space by a midfielder. Dyer flattered as he made up for it with blistering pace, however too often he did all the hard work to fluff a cross.

Playing wingers deeper invited the opposition fullbacks to play higher up the pitch and put us on the back foot, our own fullbacks especially Konchesky look to have been ordered to start firing in long diagonal balls into Wood (who doesn't want them). De Laet struggles when the space in front is packed, he's a great player that can drift past players like they weren't there, but when you play deep you pack that area with players making it hard to start attacks from that position, which leads me to Schmeichel distribution, it's got worse as he bypasses the fullbacks where before Christmas Konchesky and De Laet were receiving short balls and playing football, he is guilty of trying to hard, there must have been 7/8 times in the home leg where Schmeichel played the ball straight to Almunia.

Nugent, due to our defensive set up was being asked to work the channels, he is a striker and should be played through the middle where he has has been displaced by Wood.

Beckford, as much as people dislike the guy he would have been a better prospect on the bench than Kane.

What do I think we need?

If we don't get rid of Pearson we need a coach in the style of Chris Powell, one of the lads who can mediate, as in my opinion Pearson cannot deal with players on a one to one basis. Will this happen, only if this experience has humbled Pearson.

If I was the owners i'd be seriously looking at the list of players that Pearson has identified to come in and go out.

Wood scored the same large number of goals prior to joining us as he has done for us.

Danns I agree with but he only really had one good spell towards the end of the season under Sven, got sent off a number of times for us and given his reported high wage, there are probably just as good options available for the money.

Marshall was never on loan here. He is 21/22 or of the age where players at this level do not score 40-yards screamers every week otherwise they would not be in this league. I agree he has been disappointing this year but for me, he has shown he is more than worth keeping for another year and young players quite often have off seasons. Given that this was only be his very first full season as a senior pro at his own club, it would be extremely harsh and short sighted to get rid of a very highly regarded player.

Wood scored the same large number of goals prior to joining us as he has done for us.
Yes and we changed tactics, Wood's form suffered as a consequence.

Danns I agree with but he only really had one good spell towards the end of the season under Sven, got sent off a number of times for us and given his reported high wage, there are probably just as good options available for the money.
Why sign anyone "just as good" if you already have someone in your squad, he would have been a good addition to our bench in recent months. He was under contract, the cost pales into insignificance based on the potential windfall of promotion.

Marshall was never on loan here..
Did I say he was? He played well at Wednesday and Megson wanted to keep him.

He is 21/22 or of the age where players at this level do not score 40-yards screamers every week otherwise they would not be in this league. I agree he has been disappointing this year but for me, he has shown he is more than worth keeping for another year and young players quite often have off seasons. Given that this was only be his very first full season as a senior pro at his own club, it would be extremely harsh and short sighted to get rid of a very highly regarded player.
I'm not sure if you are grasping my point or not. My opinion is that these players are not being coached or treated correctly to fulfil their potential.

It's a good job i'm bored.

Wood scored a large number of goals prior to and immediately after joining us. We're not playing to his style, simple as that (see why below), his head is down and has a face like a smacked arse most of the time. I don't think Pearson can deal with players like Wood that need confidence boosts.

Danns was the Palace player of the season prior to joining us. He should have been kept, he was a good energy player that forced errors and flew around the midfield not too dissimilar to Savage, yes not the most gifted player but Drinkwater has been a lethargic waste of a place when he came on. Not worthy of a starting spot but in my opinion he was a better option to what we ended up with warming the bench.

Marshall, played well on loan, we signed him never managed to get a large number of consistent performances from him. Sporadic performances from a player that we know can play well. An enigma, brilliant, shit, brilliant, shit. Personally I think the kid is an idiot who started to believe his own hype.

Here is my take on the Jan/Feb collapse, we played badly against Boro and Wolves but won then lost the following two league games, NP bottled it and started playing us more defensively.

Our wide men were reigned back from playing on the fullbacks, Knockeart was pulled into playing tighter to our own 18 yard, we started to ask him to pick the ball up deeper and then had to beat the winger, fullback plus any CM that closed him down. He was most effective picking the ball up on the half way line, drifting past a full back and getting towards the touchline and pulling it back or crossing. How many nice diagonal one-twos did we use to see. It becomes harder when the wingers are too deep in the first place to then get to the ball played into space by a midfielder. Dyer flattered as he made up for it with blistering pace, however too often he did all the hard work to fluff a cross.

Playing wingers deeper invited the opposition fullbacks to play higher up the pitch and put us on the back foot, our own fullbacks especially Konchesky look to have been ordered to start firing in long diagonal balls into Wood (who doesn't want them). De Laet struggles when the space in front is packed, he's a great player that can drift past players like they weren't there, but when you play deep you pack that area with players making it hard to start attacks from that position, which leads me to Schmeichel distribution, it's got worse as he bypasses the fullbacks where before Christmas Konchesky and De Laet were receiving short balls and playing football, he is guilty of trying to hard, there must have been 7/8 times in the home leg where Schmeichel played the ball straight to Almunia.

Nugent, due to our defensive set up was being asked to work the channels, he is a striker and should be played through the middle where he has has been displaced by Wood.

Beckford, as much as people dislike the guy he would have been a better prospect on the bench than Kane.

What do I think we need?

If we don't get rid of Pearson we need a coach in the style of Chris Powell, one of the lads who can mediate, as in my opinion Pearson cannot deal with players on a one to one basis. Will this happen, only if this experience has humbled Pearson.

If I was the owners i'd be seriously looking at the list of players that Pearson has identified to come in and go out.

I like this post. A lot.

Yes and we changed tactics, Wood's form suffered as a consequence.

Hardly declined scoring them same amount of goals though?

Why sign anyone "just as good" if you already have someone in your squad, he would have been a good addition to our bench in recent months. He was under contract, the cost pales into insignificance based on the potential windfall of promotion.

I've already said I'd have Danns in the squad but managed to grasp the mandate of reducing the wage bill and this is a prime target in doing so, much like SSL.

Did I say he was? He played well at Wednesday and Megson wanted to keep him.

So you seen him have no inconsistent performances for Wednesday then or just basing that on, well, nothing really apart from the Megson keeping him part. He could have been just as inconsistent there but was making a name for himself scoring some cracking goals which he continued to do so after joining us. As I say, it is his first full season settled at a club, he's had reported personal problems so added together, he is more than worth sticking with for at least another year.

I'm not sure if you are grasping my point or not. My opinion is that these players are not being coached or treated correctly to fulfil their potential.

Extremely fine margins. If we were in a relegation battle then yes, it is clear something is not right but from being a kick away from a play-off final, the coaching can't be that bad.

Pleyers do not reach their potential in one season but they should be able to take heaps of experience from this and build on it for next much like Cardiff did.

We had relegation form for the last third of the season and we barely scraped into the playoffs.

We got rid of players to teams who I highly suspect were paying little towards salaries and replaced them.
Why are you so insistent that I prove my opinion, i'm not stating facts here, its my opinion?

Ben Marshall - http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=464&fid=222&act=1&mid=2115775668
If he was as patchy there as he had been for us do you think they would have been waxing lyrical about the boy?

Something isn't right down at the KP. Of course this is all conjecture and my opinion.....

He is not on the verge of taking Palace up, they have declined steadily since he took over and I would be very surprised if they are even able to score a goal tonight, yet alone win and then beat Watford at Wembley.

Don't pick your lottery numbers today mate. Leave it for a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669