Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested to know what people have seen since February that would give them hope that Pearson is the right man for the job?

Multiple choice anwers:

a)lots of people only feel secure whilst the same manager is in situ irrespective of outcomes;

b)Shrewd posters examplified by Matt B are not hooked on success as a criteria in management tho' would probably admit to facing a dilemna as to whether they would prefer Conference North or Conference South;

c)Pearson defied the odds and led us into the play offs notwithstanding that this was against a background of being nailed on automatic promotion contenders a few months earlier - before he stuffed it up;

d) The motto of the City of Leicester is' Semper Eadem' - always the same. We like that and look forward to Pearson telling us the same stories next season 'We were very unlucky'- murdered them '0-3'; 'We played great football and they just scored some lucky goals'.

e) The owners are sick of wasting money on LCFC only to be thanked with falling attendances and repeat failure and keeping on a contracted Nigel is the cheaper option;

f) There ain't a lot of potential manager options at this point in time.

Hold tight for more of the same till at least the end May 2014.

Multiple choice anwers:

a)lots of people only feel secure whilst the same manager is in situ irrespective of outcomes;

b)Shrewd posters examplified by Matt B are not hooked on success as a criteria in management tho' would probably admit to facing a dilemna as to whether they would prefer Conference North or Conference South;

c)Pearson defied the odds and led us into the play offs notwithstanding that this was against a background of being nailed on automatic promotion contenders a few months earlier - before he stuffed it up;

d) The motto of the City of Leicester is' Semper Eadem' - always the same. We like that and look forward to Pearson telling us the same stories next season 'We were very unlucky'- murdered them '0-3'; 'We played great football and they just scored some lucky goals'.

e) The owners are sick of wasting money on LCFC only to be thanked with falling attendances and repeat failure and keeping on a contracted Nigel is the cheaper option;

Sounds good to me.

Multiple choice anwers:

Which part of 6000 managers in 10 years fits know with d?

d) The motto of the City of Leicester is' Semper Eadem' - always the same. We like that and look forward to Pearson telling us the same stories next season 'We were very unlucky'- murdered them '0-3';

I've had enough of all the 3-0 defeats we've had under Pearson. Well, the one 3-0 defeat we've had in almost 200 games under Pearson.

Which February do you mean? Why have you chosen February? What do you see as being the job? Are you sure that your idea of the job is the best for the future of the club? Do you like arguments/discussions that go round and round and r...
I'm not sure why your first two questions were obtuse considering i'd already made comments to a collapse in February earlier in this thread.

The cataclysmic collapse of the team in February 2013 and the subsequent run of relegation form was worrying, or do you choose to ignore that patch and say that scraping 6th was acceptable?

Neither am I sure why you think me asking an opinion constitutes a merry go round, the general consensus that I see from posters is that 6th was acceptable and that we should stick with Pearson on that basis, it disregards the failure to present a reasonable standard of football for the last three months. For me too many players started to perform poorly, whether this was man-management skills or tactics i'm not sure. Coupled with a failure to bring an experienced player in either in January or on loan I think has cost us.

We have a capable squad.

I personally don't think scraping 6th is reason to stick with him.

I personally don't think scraping 6th is reason to stick with him.

It isn't, though having read the names of some other suggested managers in this thread I'm starting to warm to the chap.

Let's be totally blunt about this - it is a results business and NP has failed to deliver yet again. We need to find a new manager who is tactically more astute and knows how to get us over the finish line - we cannot go through this again. One thing for sure, there is a good foundation to build on (depends of course who gets taken from us) and the right manager who understands the championship can get us out of it. If I had tens of millions invested in the club I certainly would not want to take the chance with NP again. The following is the foundation - lets get a few experienced players to add to this and we will get promoted next year

Schmeichel, De Laet, Morgan, Schlupp, Moore, Drinkwater, King, Marshall, Knockaert, James, Nugent, Wood

The rest can go or be prepared to be squad players at best - is there anyone else worth keeping ? Which one of the youngsters can step up from the reserves/academy ?

I'd keep Danns and SSL, yes they're on big wages, but we'd have to pay to replace them, Danns was a free transfer so his wages are the only cost factor. A reasonable squad player.

'Yet again', he's had one average season as manager including one poor spell of form.

You then go onto name a set of players who've been signed by him.

My opinion would be our season end shares a great deal of similarities to Cardiff's last term. Mackay had a summer to assess areas to improve and work on. Minimal signings and they were 1st.

I am not criticizing his signings - just his tactical ability and ability to get us over the finish line. I think he has got us to a point where we can with a little tweaking get promoted (like Cardiff) but have significant doubts whether he is the best person to do it. Why didn't Cardiff stay with Dave Jones - he kept getting them to the playoffs. Time for a change - the other option is too risky.

I am not criticizing his signings - just his tactical ability and ability to get us over the finish line. I think he has got us to a point where we can with a little tweaking get promoted (like Cardiff) but have significant doubts whether he is the best person to do it. Why didn't Cardiff stay with Dave Jones - he kept getting them to the playoffs. Time for a change - the other option is too risky.
I would say, with the alternative managers who have been mooted, it would be too risky to throw everything up in the air and go with one of the deadbeats mentioned so far.

I know I might be accused of sweeping generalisation, but does it seem to anybody else that the majority of people who are calling for a change in manager do not live in the city or its nearabouts and do not attend live matches whilst the majority of people who are happy for NP to stay do regularly get to attend games? I know there are noteworthy exceptions but it does seem to me that there is a clear split on these lines.

Lots of calls for us to get a few experienced players in next year.

I'm not sure quite how we can achieve that without getting some decent money for some of our better players. Last year we reportedly made a loss of some £30 million. Next year we are not allowed to exceed £3 million (with an extra £5 million if the owners 'gift' us that extra £5 million). I am struggling to make the maths work just on the basis of us standing still without adding any extra players into the equation.

Lots of calls for us to get a few experienced players in next year.

I'm not sure quite how we can achieve that without getting some decent money for some of our better players. Last year we reportedly made a loss of some £30 million. Next year we are not allowed to exceed £3 million (with an extra £5 million if the owners 'gift' us that extra £5 million). I am struggling to make the maths work just on the basis of us standing still without adding any extra players into the equation.

What do you think you're doing? If you're going to be all realistic, you'll no longer be welcome in these parts!

I'm sorry but if you can't see the disasters that went on prior to him joining the club and feel that it had nothing to do with us going down that year, then more fool you.

Like I said he wasn't my first choice, I tagged him on the end of my list and put 'even' before his name, which clearly indicated that the was nowhere near my first choice. I stand by my opinion that he's a better manager than Pearson though...and guess what he proved it tonight by getting Palace to Wembley. Pearson has got one promotion and two play failures. Yes ok, but his promotion was from a lower tier, so it doesn't stack up against someone who has done it at this level.

I'm not sure how you can say Palace have steadily declined. They had a poor run of form yes, but the fact that Freedman was prepared to walk and take the Bolton job suggests that he never thought they'd finish in the play offs and Holloway has gone and done that. Holloway is a good manager at this level. What he's done since our relegation season has proved that. You may hate him because of his links to our lowest moments in our club's history but the truth is he's a scapegoat and not the real felon.

I agree we were and had been in disarray for a couple of years before then but I'll have to throw it back at you and say that Holloway and ample time to save us, not turn us into play-off contenders but just save us, but we actually finished lower with him than when he joined us.

No prizes for guessing I will disagree on the next paragraph too. Granted Holloway has a greater number of promotions than Pearson but he also has a number of additional years experience and has failings on his CV that Pearson doesn't such as 2 relegations and one of them being very memorable for us lot especially.

I can say Palace have steadily declined as they have. They were higher in the league when he took over and were probably the best team to play at the KP early in the season just before he took over but don’t even look a patch on that now. Also, if he had been there all year, his points average since joining would have been enough to finish 8.

You say the fact that Freedman was prepared to walk but Holloway didn't arrive at Selhurst Park thanks to teleportation. He was beginning to be found out at Blackpool and walked straight out on them when they were still getting parachute payments. Surely that, combined with a squad that was competing in the Premier League only 2 seasons prior and his amazing management he should have walked the league with them but the only walking he did was going to Palace to jump on the bandwagon of a very good thing.

Granted it does appear he has learnt from his time here but if he can learn from mistakes made in his initial management career then why can't Pearson? You’re right I do dislike him for taking us to our lowest point ever, surely this should be enough for any Leicester fan to not want him again and as said before, he wasn't a scapegoat and actually made things worse.

If you’re saying Holloway was up against it after the crap we had been through in the years before his tenure but surely if you say that, then Pearson did actually perform some kind of miracle in getting us back to the Championship and then being a couple of kicks and 90 mins from being back to the promise land in the space of just 2 years.

I know who I would rather have.

Last edited:
I know I might be accused of sweeping generalisation, but does it seem to anybody else that the majority of people who are calling for a change in manager do not live in the city or its nearabouts and do not attend live matches whilst the majority of people who are happy for NP to stay do regularly get to attend games? I know there are noteworthy exceptions but it does seem to me that there is a clear split on these lines.

you could be on to something there. The crowd may not sing his name as much as they did earlier in the season and while you hear a few grumblings in the crowd as results have not gone as well as expected, I've never heard anyone shouting for his head

Spot on. Those that can have an informed opinion, versus those that don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669