Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you are right - for me the issue was we didn't have enough players to drop/rest out of form individuals...
The question then becomes is it NP at fault for not strengthening during the transfer window or not getting the best out of SSL, Danns and Beckford...

I'm sure I read somewhere we had only used 26 players throughout the season and this was the 2nd lowest in the division

I'm sure I read somewhere we had only used 26 players throughout the season and this was the 2nd lowest in the division

I find it interesting that other managers get accused of too much squad rotation, not sticking with a settled team and chopping and changing too much. I wonder if either is correct?

I find it interesting that other managers get accused of too much squad rotation, not sticking with a settled team and chopping and changing too much. I wonder if either is correct?

if I remember correctly Watford had used the most, both finished in the top 6. it does make you wonder

I think that you are right - for me the issue was we didn't have enough players to drop/rest out of form individuals...

The question then becomes is it NP at fault for not strengthening during the transfer window or not getting the best out of SSL, Danns and Beckford...

Options available to him include Wellens, Gallagher, Waghorn, Beckford, SSL and Danns. All shite. All big earners who we couldn't shift. All whose presence restricted the opportunity for others to come in

None of whom Pearson was to blame for having languishing around the squad, soaking up money and generally cluttering up the place

He also had the truly hopeless Whitbread, Vardy and Fuctash, who had similar traits, but he certainly was to blame for. But for every Fuctash there is a Matty James, for every Whitbread, a Wes Morgan. You win some, you lose some

Nine players, who collectively offered next to nothing. No wonder he had to constantly turn to only a small number of players he could actually rely on. And no wonder he had limited opportunity to bring other players in

Cheers Jeff, interestingly the bottom 5 all had the same manager throughout the season while the top 5 all changed theirs some more than once

Spot on. Those that can have an informed opinion, versus those that don't :)

So first of all, my opinion (having watched a good 15 or so games and attended one) could easily be of more validity than someone who attends every game. Attendance is not a qualification for competency. I'll grant you I'd be more informed if I were to attend every game, but to say I'm categorically less informed than a random bloke in the stands is just a wee bit silly. The "real fans go to every game" bollocks really does my head in.

I'll also say what I've come to on Pearson (not that anyone gives a monkeys). If there are better options they should be explored..if not, I'm happy to let him have another bite of the cherry....

If we aren't up next year though...He has to be for the chop.

Cheers Jeff, interestingly the bottom 5 all had the same manager throughout the season while the top 5 all changed theirs some more than once

More interestingly, Cardiff were only one position above us in that chart.

I've thought about this a fair bit over the last couple of days and I think, on balance, he should start next season in charge. I'm not a huge fan of the bloke and I've been very critical of him over the past few months. But you have to take the season as a whole and the fact is that in finishing sixth from last year's ninth that progress has been mde. People will highlight the low points total but it was enough to get usinto the play offs and league position is the only measure of success atnthe end of a season. I doubt too many Cardiff fans are feeling depressed about winning the league with fewer points than Newcastle did three years back.

I do still have concerns, the biggest being the dramatic change in the style of play in the second half of the season. The bad results I can cope with. If I wanted to support a team that wins every week there are plenty of options. But the regression to negative long ball stuff from our earlier attractive attacking style is difficult to understand. Perhaps it was a case of young players feeling pressure and loaing confidence and doing what was easier. Maybe they were just tired. Or perhaps Pearson was at fault and decided to 'defend' the league position rather than attacking what lookee to be a fairly easy run of fixtures from February onwards. I don't have the answer but I do find it difficult to believe that the manager would deliberately opt for worse football when the good stuff was getting results.

There is one set of circumstances under which I'd be supportive of a change of manager. If we were to go the Swansea route and adopt a footballing philosophy as a club, appointing managers and signing players to fit into that philosophy, then I'd be in favour of replacing the curremt incumbent if his style wasn't compatible. The likes of Poyet amd Rosler have demonstrated an ability to enforce a particular playing style and it's something I'd like to see here. But I don't think it's any more likely than our owners selling up and us becoming a supporter-run club. In which case we may as well stick with what we have and hope that the progress of this season continues into the next.

Options available to him include Wellens, Gallagher, Waghorn, Beckford, SSL and Danns. All shite. All big earners who we couldn't shift.

I think SSL and Danns were worthy of a place on the bench. SSL was unlucky with injury this season and Danns could have been available as cover for James, King and Drinkwater.

There is one set of circumstances under which I'd be supportive of a change of manager. If we were to go the Swansea route and adopt a footballing philosophy as a club, appointing managers and signing players to fit into that philosophy, then I'd be in favour of replacing the curremt incumbent if his style wasn't compatible.

Didn't we already try that to disastrous consequences with a former Swansea manager?

I think SSL and Danns were worthy of a place on the bench. SSL was unlucky with injury this season and Danns could have been available as cover for James, King and Drinkwater.

SSL's career has been injury galore. It was a risk any club signing him. It's why he didn't move on from Preston during his career best form. Add to this an attitude whch he showcased back in the days of Ron Manager made him 'blacklisted' by many a manager.

Didn't we already try that to disastrous consequences with a former Swansea manager?

I don't think so. I was under the impression that he was appointed because he was a big name. Anyway, not much of a philosophy if you're prepared to ditch it after a dozen games under a useless manager.

It's not just the ability though but the money is also a factor, if not more.

I'd have them both on the bench on merit, possibly SSL in the starting 11 but for a combined rumoured 40k a week for them both, I can see why we would look to move them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669