Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Millwall and Huddersfield? I really cant see them paying a great deal of their wages so for me it was a token gesture as we then had to go and bring in players to fill the gaps in the squad.

SSL might be a crock, but Whitbread is similar and a worse footballer in my opinion.

So first of all, my opinion (having watched a good 15 or so games and attended one) could easily be of more validity than someone who attends every game. Attendance is not a qualification for competency. I'll grant you I'd be more informed if I were to attend every game, but to say I'm categorically less informed than a random bloke in the stands is just a wee bit silly. The "real fans go to every game" bollocks really does my head in.

I'll also say what I've come to on Pearson (not that anyone gives a monkeys). If there are better options they should be explored..if not, I'm happy to let him have another bite of the cherry....

If we aren't up next year though...He has to be for the chop.

It would do your head in, as you couldn't possibly attend every game. However, I didn't say that, I was merely saying that to have a valid opinion you need to attend games. As you concede, you'd be more informed were you to attend every game. There's room for a 20 fold improvement there.

Last edited:
It seems most people accept that it's going to be very difficult to move on the raft of high earners we have who offer little to nothing to the squad. Do these same people also accept its likely that with FFP coming in next season this will severely affect our ability to make wholesale changes to the playing squad? Do they then concede next seasons manager will have to work largely with the existing playing squad? Who do people think is best placed to manage those players next year?

It seems most people accept that it's going to be very difficult to move on the raft of high earners we have who offer little to nothing to the squad. Do these same people also accept its likely that with FFP coming in next season this will severely affect our ability to make wholesale changes to the playing squad? Do they then concede next seasons manager will have to work largely with the existing playing squad? Who do people think is best placed to manage those players next year?

I assume NP will attempt to move on senior pros like Konchesky, Whitbread, Wellens, Gallagher, Danns, St. Ledger and Beckford. Of these, the ones he'll struggle to shift will be those he recruited. Bolton appear likely to sign Beckford and I wouldn't be surprised to see him score plenty for them next season. Danns, St. Ledger and Konchesky will do a perfectly good job somewhere or other and they've all played effectively in the Championship this season. We may have to pay part of their contracts off to get them to accept lower terms elsewhere, but they'll have several potential suitors at our level.

I don't accept your point about FFP at all. Players will adjust their demands in order to get a decent club. Football is a crude supply and demand market place and there are too many players around for them to be able to hold out for the sort of money they've been used to. There are only so many places in so many squads up for grabs. I think there will be plenty of perfectly capable players around that will enable your average Championship manager make as many changes as they see fit. There will also be a surplus of loans available from the Premier League. FFP is no reason to sit on our hands.

Of course, whoever is in charge next season will need to effectively manage the nucleus of the existing squad. NP hasn't shown any special talent for this and I'd back any of a number of alternatives against him in terms of training, organisation, developing confidence and consistency, etc. NP is nothing special on the training ground, dug out or dressing room and someone better equipped could easily get more out of these players.

The person we should employ to manage the club next season should be the best person for the job. It'll be for the owners to decide if they can recruit somebody more capable than NP. If they can't, I see it more as a rather disappointing reflection of them than any ringing endorsement of NP.

If NP remains, he'll recruit another handful of 'half players' with some potential and some deficiencies. One or two of this season's regulars will get 5% better, one or two will get 5% worse. Were we to ditch NP instead and recruit someone new - and pick your preferred name and insert here - wouldn't things appear that much more interesting and potentially exciting? What could XXXX do with a Schlupp or a Wood. Could our players adapt to something a little more sophisticated than 4-4-2 every week? Might we work on a few set pieces (attack and defence) in training? And so on.

After almost 200 games and three failed attempts at promotion, I'm ready to roll the dice. We've only got to roll higher than a two.

Were we to ditch NP instead and recruit someone new wouldn't things appear that much more interesting and potentially exciting?

That's true. Although I've yet to see one name mentioned seriously that would actually get me excited.

After almost 200 games and three failed attempts at promotion, I'm ready to roll the dice. We've only got to roll higher than a two.

Play-offs each year that NP has been in charge would surely be a three?

I'll stick.

Of course getting to the King Power on a regular basis and seeing the team live are helpful when assessing the club but, a collection of Leicester fans can get a bit claustrophobic. There must surely be room for ALL Leicester fans. Were supporters of Manchester United asked to prove their UK citizenship, let alone show that they even knew where Manchester was, more than half would be rejected: are we really saying that we would not want such a global following?

When Ian Holloway's return was mentioned as a possible managerial change, someone said, to general approval, that Holloway wasn't worthy to tie Pearson's boot laces. Their respective records over the last five years hardly supports this view, and yet it is unquestioned by those without a wider perspective. Personally, I do not think that Ian would be a good choice for Leicester, but three Wembley play-off finals and a season in the Premier League for an unfashionable club is a record that demands respect. Sometimes, it is necessary to step back and look at the big picture..

A lot of the anti-Pearson rhetoric entirely disregards a person's capacity to learn from their experiences. Nigel Pearson will be a better manager next season than he was this. He'll learn from his mistakes and will have a better understanding of how to get his squad to respond. Anyone who thinks he won't deeply analyse what went wrong from Feb onwards is a fool.

The same applies for the squad.

The questions are around coaching staff and the personnel he's able to bring in should we be able to shift the dead wood.

A lot of the anti-Pearson rhetoric entirely disregards a person's capacity to learn from their experiences. Nigel Pearson will be a better manager next season than he was this. He'll learn from his mistakes and will have a better understanding of how to get his squad to respond. Anyone who thinks he won't deeply analyse what went wrong from Feb onwards is a fool.

The same applies for the squad.

The questions are around coaching staff and the personnel he's able to bring in should we be able to shift the dead wood.

Where is the evidence that NP learns from his experiences? He's had four seasons as a Championship manager, including his time at Hull. He's proved highly effective at being okay. Doing just enough to be top half, but not enough to get promotion. Shouldn't he have learnt something before now? Your confidence in NP is entirely misplaced on the basis of the evidence. Will you say the same in another year?

Of these, the ones he'll struggle to shift will be those he recruited.

You can't blame NP for the rediculous contracts that Wellens and Gallagher are on. If it wasn't for Sven they'd be gone by now. Whitbread will be on less than half of what the others get as a wage, hardly a barrier. Maybe with a proper pre-season he'll be much better as well.

There's only one player (NP signings) I can think of who we would be likely to make a loss on if we sold them today and that is Jamie Vardy.

Play-offs each year that NP has been in charge would surely be a three?

I'll stick.

There are two Premier League sides that only got there after NP left them. I think we'll the the third.

On the flip side, were I chairman of a club like Doncaster, Barnsley or even Sheffield Wednesday, I'd love to recruit someone like NP.

And on that note, I'm done on this subject. I'm even boring myself now.

Danns, St. Ledger and Konchesky will do a perfectly good job somewhere or other and they've all played effectively in the Championship this season. .

So why don't they do it here? I can never understand the ill will against those, especially Konchesky.

I assume NP will attempt to move on senior pros like Konchesky, Whitbread, Wellens, Gallagher, Danns, St. Ledger and Beckford. Of these, the ones he'll struggle to shift will be those he recruited. Bolton appear likely to sign Beckford and I wouldn't be surprised to see him score plenty for them next season. Danns, St. Ledger and Konchesky will do a perfectly good job somewhere or other and they've all played effectively in the Championship this season. We may have to pay part of their contracts off to get them to accept lower terms elsewhere, but they'll have several potential suitors at our level.

I don't accept your point about FFP at all. Players will adjust their demands in order to get a decent club. Football is a crude supply and demand market place and there are too many players around for them to be able to hold out for the sort of money they've been used to. There are only so many places in so many squads up for grabs. I think there will be plenty of perfectly capable players around that will enable your average Championship manager make as many changes as they see fit. There will also be a surplus of loans available from the Premier League. FFP is no reason to sit on our hands.

Of course, whoever is in charge next season will need to effectively manage the nucleus of the existing squad. NP hasn't shown any special talent for this and I'd back any of a number of alternatives against him in terms of training, organisation, developing confidence and consistency, etc. NP is nothing special on the training ground, dug out or dressing room and someone better equipped could easily get more out of these players.

The person we should employ to manage the club next season should be the best person for the job. It'll be for the owners to decide if they can recruit somebody more capable than NP. If they can't, I see it more as a rather disappointing reflection of them than any ringing endorsement of NP.

If NP remains, he'll recruit another handful of 'half players' with some potential and some deficiencies. One or two of this season's regulars will get 5% better, one or two will get 5% worse. Were we to ditch NP instead and recruit someone new - and pick your preferred name and insert here - wouldn't things appear that much more interesting and potentially exciting? What could XXXX do with a Schlupp or a Wood. Could our players adapt to something a little more sophisticated than 4-4-2 every week? Might we work on a few set pieces (attack and defence) in training? And so on.

Not really, no. I'd be totally fearful of the same thing happening that happened all the other times over the last 10 or so years a new manager was employed, apart from when Pearson came in (twice).

Last edited:
So why don't they do it here? I can never understand the ill will against those, especially Konchesky.

I don't think thers much ill will for St ledger, who seems a competent player when fit but is far too injury prone to rely on. Konchesky puzzles me too, he's been a perfectly good left back this season. In the case of Danns I assume any ill will is attached to the perceived view that he's a troublemaker in the dressing room, and really not a very good footballer. I don't think his 'other interests' help the perception of him when things aren't going too well either.

In the case of Danns I assume any ill will is attached to the perceived view that he's a troublemaker in the dressing room, and really not a very good footballer. I don't think his 'other interests' help the perception of him when things aren't going too well either.

Yes, he did spend a lot of time promoting his 'app'.

I always thought that Danns could play as Savage used to do for us. Shame really, I think he could have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669