Post Match Peterborough 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it balls. There is always an element, but you need to make your own as well by pressing the issue. For instance, you might get a penalty if you get at people in the penalty area.., but you definately won't get one if you are phaffing about with it in defence. To say a lot of the game is down to luck is an extreme overstatement. Are you suggesting successful clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United etc win so many cups and league titles because they are just a damn site more lucky than ourselves, Rotherham or Fleetwood Town..?

When Pearson goes on about consistency I doubt he is hoping for a consistant spell of luck.

But appointing a manager does come down to luck - what works at one club doesn't work at another, even with the same manager. Look at Rodgers (Swansea & Reading), Holloway (Leicester & Blackpool), Allardyce (Bolton & Newcastle), Clough (Forest & Leeds)... the list could go on. You can choose a manager with a great track record, but because there is no guarenteed formula for success in football, more often than not its a case of luck rather than good judgement if a manager is a success at a club.

The same goes for players. Fernando Torres should have been a great player on paper for Chelsea but look how that's turned out.

Of course a lot of it is down to good tactics, hard work and techincal skill, but my point is that when you appoint a manager, or sign a player, there is absolutely no way of knowing whether they will be a success or not. There's no magic formula that says 'Manager X did a great job at Club X, thefore he will do a great job at Club Y'. That's all down to luck.

Are you suggesting successful clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United etc win so many cups and league titles because they are just a damn site more lucky than ourselves, Rotherham or Fleetwood Town..?

Of course not, I'm suggesting nothing of the sort.

I was referring to some research that was done years ago, probably by a university (I've not been able to find it online yet - maybe it predates the interweb), which looked at all the "random" events that occur during a match. Things like where the ball rebounds to when it hits the post, where aimless clearances end up, whether deflections take the ball one way or the other. They found there was a surprisingly large number of these events during a game, and sometimes one team was "luckier" than the other. They also determined that although there's a lot of luck involved in a game, much of it doesn't influence the outcome, and good teams cope with this randomness better than teams that aren't so good.

I won't mention that I began to follow the City under Frank O'Farrell but, that I started to attend home matches regularly the season that Jimmy Bloomfield came to the club

Bloody hell, that could be my story too!

I don't get it either. PEARSON is still the manager for me, I still think he'll sort it out. We knew that the play-off push was pretty much over weeks ago so I can't quite see why people are getting so upset now. I can handle losses, we've seen plenty of them over the last ten+ years, I can stand for playing the long game but what I find completely soul-destroying as a fan is the loss of a good manager. I didn't call for Sven to go but I was delighted when PEARSON joined and continue to be.

Its true that the play off opportunity was more or less dead weeks ago. Once managers start talking about the maths of the position and calling for points returns that are way beyond past form then you know its about over.

But i think that people are upset with the fact that we seem to have faded at the business end of the season without much of a fight - well no without any fight actually.

On balance I agree that we have to stick with Pearson for all the obvious reasons around trying to establish some consistency.

I still think that a major problem is the absence of any 'football people' running the club. The owners have the money and business acumen in the duty free goods sector - but there is an obvious lack of football wisdom and experience in the higher echelons at the KP.

Its true that the play off opportunity was more or less dead weeks ago. Once managers start talking about the maths of the position and calling for points returns that are way beyond past form then you know its about over.

But i think that people are upset with the fact that we seem to have faded at the business end of the season without much of a fight - well no without any fight actually.

On balance I agree that we have to stick with Pearson for all the obvious reasons around trying to establish some consistency.

I still think that a major problem is the absence of any 'football people' running the club. The owners have the money and business acumen in the duty free goods sector - but there is an obvious lack of football wisdom and experience in the higher echelons at the KP.

The lack of footballing knowledge at Man City and Man Utd haven't done them any harm. Nor Reading.

The lack of footballing knowledge at Man City and Man Utd haven't done them any harm. Nor Reading.

Agreed.

There may be a problem at a coaching level, where as far as I am aware Powell/Hamann have never been replaced, although how much impact they were having is unknown. Without absolutely any facts to back this up, our results pre and post Powell appear to have differed significantly - I wonder if this is just coincidence or if he was doing more in the background than was realised.

Its an Irish fishwife I thought.

Powells influence might have been quite telling seeing how well Charlton are doing this season. His heart is at Charlton and would not surprise me if he eventually gets them in the Premier League.

That is not the case. Both Man Utd and Man City have long involved 'insiders' with influence. For instance would you say that Bobby Charlton who is a long standing and current director of Man Utd could claim to have some football knowledge.?

That is not the case. Both Man Utd and Man City have long involved 'insiders' with influence. For instance would you say that Bobby Charlton who is a long standing and current director of Man Utd could claim to have some football knowledge.?

But we have the likes of Andrew Neville with football knowledge. I'm talking about owners, as I assumed you were?

But we have the likes of Andrew Neville with football knowledge. I'm talking about owners, as I assumed you were?

Sorry i should have made that clear.

I've had a bit of personal contact with people in the professional football management business and its interesting that they refer to 'football people'. I just think that you need some people in the ownership/ executive functions who have some understanding of the game....not to interfere with the role of the manager but to have a basis for making judgements from a football perspective. I don't think that there is anyone at the KP who can do that.......just as at the start of this season I thought it was obvious that Sven needed to move from the head of coaching role to a more oversight role. If the club had had the foresight they could have promoted Powell in the first instance last season or found an adequate replacement. If this had all been handled right then Sven would most likely be still at the club.

Sorry i should have made that clear.

I've had a bit of personal contact with people in the professional football management business and its interesting that they refer to 'football people'. I just think that you need some people in the ownership/ executive functions who have some understanding of the game....not to interfere with the role of the manager but to have a basis for making judgements from a football perspective. I don't think that there is anyone at the KP who can do that.......just as at the start of this season I thought it was obvious that Sven needed to move from the head of coaching role to a more oversight role. If the club had had the foresight they could have promoted Powell in the first instance last season or found an adequate replacement. If this had all been handled right then Sven would most likely be still at the club.

What would you call Andrew Neville? He's a 'footballing person' and he's been at the club for donkey's years. Who else would you have? I suppose we should have the Birch giving the owners advice based on the fact that he played for us years ago? Maybe Gazza should be advising Mike Ashley at Newcastle? Just because someone has played football doesn't mean that they have the slightest idea of how to run a club as a business.

What would you call Andrew Neville? He's a 'footballing person' and he's been at the club for donkey's years. Who else would you have? I suppose we should have the Birch giving the owners advice based on the fact that he played for us years ago? Maybe Gazza should be advising Mike Ashley at Newcastle? Just because someone has played football doesn't mean that they have the slightest idea of how to run a club as a business.

My dealings with Andrew Neville have left me with the impression he doesn't have much of a clue, he's the most 'football minded' of the senior management team but I doubt he has much credibility in wider football circles

I never actually said that it had to be someone who has played the game but that could be a plus rather than a minus. You missed out 'Big Fat Ron' from your preferred candidates. If we had 'Big Fat Ron' in to do a bit of consultancy with a proviso that he learned the lingo - it would make a fantastic Thai TV special 'Big Ron Manager' sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669