Post Match Peterborough 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank God for Matt Gillies!

Might as well be a different lifetime for some of us! Still, I've read up a lot about him - seems to me he was pretty much hands down the best manager we ever had. To be a contender in the top division in 62/63 when all those other fantastic teams were about is an achievement in itself.

My first full season was also Peter Taylor's......

Ouch.

My first full season was MON's first in the EPL. I remember we beat Southampton 2-1? Heskey scored?

I didn't even like football, I was a geeky little bookworm (to some extent I still am), but my Dad got me a ST and I have been obsessed ever since.

Izzet/Lennon/Guppy/Marshall/Savage/Cottee/Keller etc... The list goes on. Since those days at Filbert Street I have never felt the same buzz or the excitement.

Except maybe once. The playoffs against Cardiff. For me the EPL is where dreams are made and thats why I'm so F'd off with the whole club - the way its been ran and the absolute DROSS we have brought in over the years.

Even NAILED on optimism has failed me this season.

So there you go.

Kingy_85 said:
Ouch.

My first full season was MON's first in the EPL. I remember we beat Southampton 2-1? Heskey scored?

I didn't even like football, I was a geeky little bookworm (to some extent I still am), but my Dad got me a ST and I have been obsessed ever since.

Izzet/Lennon/Guppy/Marshall/Savage/Cottee/Keller etc... The list goes on. Since those days at Filbert Street I have never felt the same buzz or the excitement.

Except maybe once. The playoffs against Cardiff. For me the EPL is where dreams are made and thats why I'm so F'd off with the whole club - the way its been ran and the absolute DROSS we have brought in over the years.

Even NAILED on optimism has failed me this season.

So there you go.

My uncle got me a free ticket to the 0-0 bore draw with Cardiff… and for some reason that totally hooked me having not been too interested in the city before that. Season ticket the season in league one and haven't been able to go regularly since being at uni :(

I live in Charlton down in South East London now, so I don't manage to get to many home games, but there are quite a few away games near me, some of which I've been able to get to(West Ham, Palace, Millwall, Watford, Reading, Brighton) and the atmosphere has always been so much better at the away games.

I go to see Charlton play quite a lot too, as it's usually either very cheap or my mate (who is a steward there) gets me in. Powell's got them playing some great football and it's very reminscent of the time we were in League One - as it looks like we're not gonna manage to go up this season, I'll be seriously looking forward to Leicester vs Charlton away next season.

Bizarre.

Is that what you really think happened?

Pearson became manager on November 15th. Our next match was on the 20th. So he had five days to spend with the squad.

Then he made three changes for the next match. SSL replaced Bamba, Dyer replaced Danns, and Beckford replaced Howard.

So he didn't "put in as many of his old players as he could". He brought one in, and dropped one.

To be fair though the unchanged team that was picked by the interim management was a big difference to Sven's starting 11 already.

That was the interim management's decision though, unless you think Pearson had been picking the Leicester team while he was still manager of Hull.

Of course he was, in cahoots with that Beckford fella...bastards.

Gaaah I've broken my rule to stay away from this thread :icon_bigg

Eat my goal

That was the interim management's decision though, unless you think Pearson had been picking the Leicester team while he was still manager of Hull.

No I'm just saying that the interim management also picked a lot of the old guard. Pearson simply persisted with this to begin with, particularly in midfield. I'm just pointing out that the 3 changes he made doesn't mean he went with a similar starting 11 to Sven as your post may imply.

Last edited:
I don't care whether he picked or picks the old guard, new guard or any other guard as long as we win football matches. At first I thought Pearson was taking us forwards then that he was no worse than Sven but now we appear to have gone backwards with players either alienated or obviously played out of position or both. What is to be done? It's very difficult to say because you would want to say that the last thing this club needs is another change of manager. Pearson needn't worry about talking rubbish about a play off challenge now. I think that he would gain more respect if he acknowledged that there is much to put right for next season and cleared the air about conflict with players - either transfer listing them or exercising some management skills and resolving issues.

I don't care whether he picked or picks the old guard, new guard or any other guard as long as we win football matches. At first I thought Pearson was taking us forwards then that he was no worse than Sven but now we appear to have gone backwards with players either alienated or obviously played out of position or both. What is to be done? It's very difficult to say because you would want to say that the last thing this club needs is another change of manager. Pearson needn't worry about talking rubbish about a play off challenge now. I think that he would gain more respect if he acknowledged that there is much to put right for next season and cleared the air about conflict with players - either transfer listing them or exercising some management skills and resolving issues.

I sympathise with your position. When we have sacked the last half dozen, or more, managers I have argued for them to be given more time. Now, I don't like Pearson's style and want him gone ASAP but know that it would be hypocritical to say same.

I think that, in future, I shall expunge the, "all managers deserve time" line. If I were to be City manager, you could give me until Hell freezes, and I still wouldn't be any good at it (I suspect, with hind sight, that Sousa would have simply sunk into the mire, were he to have been given a full season). I shall try to find other reasoning as to why a manager should stay.

I sympathise with your position. When we have sacked the last half dozen, or more, managers I have argued for them to be given more time. Now, I don't like Pearson's style and want him gone ASAP but know that it would be hypocritical to say same.

I think that, in future, I shall expunge the, "all managers deserve time" line. If I were to be City manager, you could give me until Hell freezes, and I still wouldn't be any good at it (I suspect, with hind sight, that Sousa would have simply sunk into the mire, were he to have been given a full season). I shall try to find other reasoning as to why a manager should stay.

There's obviously a fine line between giving a manager time to build a squad and become a success and removing a manager before he damages the team and the club's standing. Unfortunately, while it's easier to see in hindsight whether or not a manager should or should not have been fired, it's not so easy in the thick of things. For example - Should Dalglish be fired now? Who knows, he could bring success to Liverpool, or he could drag them down further - it's difficult to say. Many would have happily accepted Steve Kean's resignation a few months ago, but now he looks like he might just steer Blackburn clear of relegation.

Many fans will point the finger and say that the Chairmen of their clubs don't know what they're doing when they fire or hire managers, but they're just looking for success but there's no guarenteed formula for that and with the stakes so much higher in modern football, there's a lot more pressure to make the right decision.

In truth, a lot of the time, it's down to luck. Lucking out in finding the right manager, lucking out in finding the right players and lucking out in getting the right results.

There's obviously a fine line between giving a manager time to build a squad and become a success and removing a manager before he damages the team and the club's standing. Unfortunately, while it's easier to see in hindsight whether or not a manager should or should not have been fired, it's not so easy in the thick of things. For example - Should Dalglish be fired now? Who knows, he could bring success to Liverpool, or he could drag them down further - it's difficult to say. Many would have happily accepted Steve Kean's resignation a few months ago, but now he looks like he might just steer Blackburn clear of relegation.

Many fans will point the finger and say that the Chairmen of their clubs don't know what they're doing when they fire or hire managers, but they're just looking for success but there's no guarenteed formula for that and with the stakes so much higher in modern football, there's a lot more pressure to make the right decision.

In truth, a lot of the time, it's down to luck. Lucking out in finding the right manager, lucking out in finding the right players and lucking out in getting the right results.

Spot on!

Alot of it is down to luck eh? In that case.. why bother with preparation, training and effort. Maybe we could do away with the training facilities and save ourselves a pretty penny.

Alot of it is down to luck eh? In that case.. why bother with preparation, training and effort. Maybe we could do away with the training facilities and save ourselves a pretty penny.

Of course a lot of it is down to luck.

But the better prepared you are, the more chance you'll be able to take advantage of the luck when it comes your way.

So after only 29 games in charge (including cup) people are seriously suggesting NP has taken 'too long' in trying to improve the team and should be shipped out for somebody else...really?

The last time a manger was in charge for 2 full seasons was NP back in 08/09 (League 1 Promotion) and 09/10 season (Champ Play offs).

Before that you have to go back to Micky Adams in 02/03 (Champ Promotion) and 03/04 (Prem Relegation)

Before that... Martin O'Neill (95-00).

In the last 17 years we have had only three managers for longer than 2 seasons, with MON being the only one to manage 3 full seasons. It is easy to blame the various chairmen for decision, but when will fans realise that we need to commit to the manger through both the good and bad times if the team is going to actually go anywhere?

I don't get it either. PEARSON is still the manager for me, I still think he'll sort it out. We knew that the play-off push was pretty much over weeks ago so I can't quite see why people are getting so upset now. I can handle losses, we've seen plenty of them over the last ten+ years, I can stand for playing the long game but what I find completely soul-destroying as a fan is the loss of a good manager. I didn't call for Sven to go but I was delighted when PEARSON joined and continue to be.

Massive over-reaction as always. Don't know much about the game apart from the result and some sort of incident at the end with Beckford but we were always going to lose this one. We must stick with Pearson otherwise I think I'm finished with the club, as has been mentioned above, the only times when we have actually stuck with a manager is when we have been successful so to get rid of another now would be lunacy.

Past two games we've been without our 2 central midfield players who have both been instrumental in our clinging on to the play-offs run. Not so much that we've not had them but the fact that the replacements haven't been upto scratch. I'm not blaming the defeat on Drinkwater/Bamba but it is a hell of a lot to ask a young player who is probably only up to double figures on appearances to lead the midfield and then expect a bambi on ice centre back to perform a holding role as well as someone who has done that week in, week out for the past 10-15 yrs. I know 2 players shouldn't equate to a loss but it is a very key position and I suspect we got overran in the midfield just like we did in the first half against Forest. And with regards to the formation we've played recently, I would imagine that would be down to the choice of players available rather than choice.

As I said before. Stick with Pearson, sign a right back, creative midfielder, winger who can play left/right for another option and a striker if Beckford goes and we'll be in the mix.

EDIT - Oh, and first game for me was Newcastle at home in the mid 90s. Would have been Little in charge and I think we won 2-1 but remember it for some reason as Newcastle fan loss his sight in one eye after being hit by a coin.

Last edited:
Of course a lot of it is down to luck.

But the better prepared you are, the more chance you'll be able to take advantage of the luck when it comes your way.

Is it balls. There is always an element, but you need to make your own as well by pressing the issue. For instance, you might get a penalty if you get at people in the penalty area.., but you definately won't get one if you are phaffing about with it in defence. To say a lot of the game is down to luck is an extreme overstatement. Are you suggesting successful clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United etc win so many cups and league titles because they are just a damn site more lucky than ourselves, Rotherham or Fleetwood Town..?

When Pearson goes on about consistency I doubt he is hoping for a consistant spell of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669