Post Match Peterborough 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzet 6

We are game-raisers, pure and simple.

Contrast our form against the top nine teams to the bottom nine. It shows exatly where the problem lies.

It's not about ability alone, a lot of it is to do with mentality.

We had a good percentage of the ball and crosses swung into the box, yet we didn't take advantage. It wasn't bad luck, it was a lack of belief in the crucial area. See Beckford's non-attempt to turn in Schlupp's deflected shot.

camberwell fox

I haven't got stats to hand to prove my point but I am fairly sure our points tally against the current top six is better than the current bottom six.

Last edited:

Profondo Rosso

There's more than a decent enough base to build a promotion challenging team on. you only have to look at us 3 seasons ago, Norwich and Southampton to realise that you do not need an incredible squad to be promotion contenders. 3 or 4 of the right kind of signings and we can be more than capable of challenging for promotion.

Our defence is suspect yes, but having a solid and good defensive unit can often be about having time to be able to gel and organise. It is not necessarily a thing you can address mid season. If we have the summer to work on it there is a chance we could address this issue without making a single signing in that dept, although I do expect us to go into the market.

In midfield we do need a couple of positions addressing, I think however, if Vassell has not lost his pace, that he could definitely be utilised and give us variety and pace. He has been an excellent signing for us and anyone who thinks otherwise really has some explaining to do. We certainly need a central midfielder but I don't think there is too much that needs changing, especially with Drinkwater and Marshall now in.

Strikers, I would only go for 1 signing there as a replacement for Howard.

No, you don't need an incredibly squad of individuals, but if you don't have the players, then what you certainly do need, which is what we had 3 years a go (when we didn't get promotion anyway) and what Norwich and Southampton had, is a good team spirit, team ethic and players who worked together in a system and suited each others' games. We don't seem to have any of that at all with these players.

I would be very surprised if this defence was much better last season with no additions, it really, really lacks a leader or an organiser in there.

As for Vassell, I was one of the few who backed him at the end of last season, but I'm not sure what he adds that Waghorn doesn't? Both are hard workers, but who actually create or score very little? Given that Waghorn is back from injury soon and Vassell's contract is up at the end of the season, why is it particularly worth keeping? To call him an "excellent signing for us" is pretty much exactly what I was going on about about losing perspective of what a "good" or "excellent" player/signing is. So many average players are getting overrated because of the odd good performance, Vassell has put in some good performances, but again he's a player who, for the large majority of his matches here has contributed very little and yes, I certainly do think otherwise to him being "an excellent signing for us". I'd say he was a decent signing for us, certainly not excellent.

gregs_y2k

We are game-raisers, pure and simple.

Contrast our form against the top nine teams to the bottom nine. It shows exatly where the problem lies.

It's not about ability alone, a lot of it is to do with mentality.

We had a good percentage of the ball and crosses swung into the box, yet we didn't take advantage. It wasn't bad luck, it was a lack of belief in the crucial area. See Beckford's non-attempt to turn in Schlupp's deflected shot.

Perhaps this is more of playing to the opposition's defense's strengths rather than our own? I think our strikers would much prefer the ball at their feet than in the air.

gregs_y2k

No, you don't need an incredibly squad of individuals, but if you don't have the players, then what you certainly do need, which is what we had 3 years a go (when we didn't get promotion anyway) and what Norwich and Southampton had, is a good team spirit, team ethic and players who worked together in a system and suited each others' games. We don't seem to have any of that at all with these players.

I would be very surprised if this defence was much better last season with no additions, it really, really lacks a leader or an organiser in there.

As for Vassell, I was one of the few who backed him at the end of last season, but I'm not sure what he adds that Waghorn doesn't? Both are hard workers, but who actually create or score very little? Given that Waghorn is back from injury soon and Vassell's contract is up at the end of the season, why is it particularly worth keeping? To call him an "excellent signing for us" is pretty much exactly what I was going on about about losing perspective of what a "good" or "excellent" player/signing is. So many average players are getting overrated because of the odd good performance, Vassell has put in some good performances, but again he's a player who, for the large majority of his matches here has contributed very little and yes, I certainly do think otherwise to him being "an excellent signing for us". I'd say he was a decent signing for us, certainly not excellent.

I didn't say he was an excellent player, I said excellent signing. He cost us nothing in transfer fees and injected pace into our attacks. He played predominantly on the wing and since he got injured we have looked increasingly narrow. I think that in itself shows how much we have missed his presence this season. I think because he used to be and is perhaps still considered by most, a striker clouds people's judgement of him. He has played predominantly on the flank and in every game I have seen him in he has looked classy and had excellent ball control.

gregs_y2k

It's not bollocks, it's true.

The table here is based on performances against teams in the top half. We're 5th.

The table here is for performances against the bottom half. We're 18th.

I think this could be solved with a good creative midfielder. We seem to lack the ability to break down a team that plays on the counter.

Nottingham Fox

It's not bollocks, it's true.

The table here is based on performances against teams in the top half. We're 5th.

The table here is for performances against the bottom half. We're 18th.

Reading ripped us to shreds home and away, we've lost to West Ham, Birmingham, Brighton, Hull and Watford on our travels. Beating these teams at home helps but if we were good enough we'd have taken points away too. The tables you posted don't lie, but it does highlight how crap we've been this season.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

Regarding the Beckford strop/knackered incident. These guys are not surgeons. They do not save lives. They are not special people. They are paid vastly more than the majority of the working population for only a few hours a week of work just to kick a ball into a net, or stop the ball being kicked into the net.

If Beckford is being paid £20000+/week, or £1million+ a year, then when the manager says 'Jump', the only question should be 'How high?' End of.

Miles Away

They are not special people but are held to a special standard?

Never had the arse at work because your coworkers are faffing about?

gregs_y2k

Regarding the Beckford strop/knackered incident. These guys are not surgeons. They do not save lives. They are not special people. They are paid vastly more than the majority of the working population for only a few hours a week of work just to kick a ball into a net, or stop the ball being kicked into the net.

If Beckford is being paid £20000+/week, or £1million+ a year, then when the manager says 'Jump', the only question should be 'How high?' End of.

While I agree with this in principle, I think what happened today was not a terrible offence and does not merit our manager burning bridges with yet another player or for him to never play again as some of our fans have called for.

Joe_Fox

Goof sausage ball pen at Allied Carpets squirrel funker spray drawers hinge neptune.

Steven

Wholesale changes in the summer and I guarantee we will not get promoted.

Chris Powell signed 19 new players in the Summer at Charlton and it has not done him any harm. IF Pearson were to leave, Powell would be my first choice as his replacement.

Biffa Bacon

Chris Powell signed 19 new players in the Summer at Charlton and it has not done him any harm. IF Pearson were to leave, Powell would be my first choice as his replacement.

Why would Powell swap Charlton for us? Charlton are on the up at the moment with Powell as manager, reasonable finances and a big enough ground, they could do what Southampton have done this year next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669