Post Match Peterborough 1 Leicester 5 (FA cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the rebound is from an opposition player who is now playing him onside. If it came back off the post I agree he is still offside.

From the laws of the game:

“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position

Looks like we have seen the last of King, Ulloa, Musa and Slimani.

I'd add Benny to that list. I was very surprised not to see Huth come on, just for a run. Maybe he's not yet completely ready. I've liked Benny in the past, he can sometimes looked composed on the ball, but I don't see a place for him with us now.

I think we would have had more goals had it not for a bit of selfishness from some. I thought Gray particularly looked to put his own name on the score sheet when there were better options available. Still, I'm not complaining.

I think Simpson's probably played himself into 2nd choice right back. He's solid enough but often too much so and so a bit of a risk. I think Amartey offers more.

I'm most impressed with Diabate. I watched a YouTube vid of him prior to the game and it was clear he had good, quick feet. I saw that again today. A couple of really nice touches too, including one for Fuchs that lead to Nacho's 2nd. He's a live wire, looks promising.

All in all, can't complain even though we wobbled a bit in the 2nd half. 5 away from home, what's not to like?

I was most impressed with Diabate’s decision making. He made some very intelligent runs inside and I don’t remember him picking the wrong option all game. Took a shot when it was on and passed to.a teammate when that was the better option. Also tracked back to help Simpson when needed. He’s two-footed as well which is a bonus.

But he was out wide so was not interfering with play?

Going by your metrics anyone would be completely fine to just leave a player hanging around in the space behind an opposition penalty box all game as long as the ball wasn't played directly at them. Also the rebound was from the goalkeeper - i.e. the last opponent, not the second last opponent.

"
Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage."

New lad looks superb, remains to be seen why on earth he was playing in Ligue 2 and cost peanuts, because he looks better than Gray.

New lad looks superb, remains to be seen why on earth he was playing in Ligue 2 and cost peanuts,

Was it peanuts? They said £4.5 million (I think) on BTSport. I thought it was nearer 2?? Given he'd previously been traded on frees/crisp packets, I thought even that was a lot!

Great debut for Diabate. Looking forward to seeing him against some better opposition. Nacho, Maguire and Fuchs also very good. Silva ran the game in the first half but seemed to lose it second half (though they all had a 10 min spell of crapness). Albrighton also looked good when he came on. Agree that I was a bit disappointed with Barnes but only my own fault for having high expectations. Good atmosphere in away end.

Was it peanuts? They said £4.5 million (I think) on BTSport. I thought it was nearer 2?? Given he'd previously been traded on frees/crisp packets, I thought even that was a lot!
Even after you saw him play?

Hmmm, strange one.

I thought we could only win if we played our strongest possible team.

P'boro must have been really shit.

Nobody's moaning - we're helping a fellow fan understand the laws of the game

It's what a football forum is for

Thanks for the clarification. I was going to say I was being a bit of a 'blonde girlie' about it, but that would probably mean I would not get another invitation to the Presidents Club Dinners, ;)

Can we put to bed this tired argument of squad rotation now? We used the squad exactly as it is supposed to be used today and it turned out just fine as it did, in the end, against Fleetwood.

Horses for Courses. Our Second String was good enough, though Puel, very sensibly, had the cavalry on the bench if needed.

I'd add Benny to that list. I was very surprised not to see Huth come on, just for a run. Maybe he's not yet completely ready. I've liked Benny in the past, he can sometimes looked composed on the ball, but I don't see a place for him with us now.

You leave my Benny alone. There will always be a place for Benny.............in my heart.

Read the match thread and had a chuckle.

Safe to say Diabate is no longer an unknown, and Puel knows better than anyone on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566