Post Match Peterborough 2 v Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems obvious to me that King being picked over James was a big factor in our defeat on Saturday. Not because King is a poor player but because he isn't suited to a scrap in the same way that James is.

Many of us went into the Christmas period concerned that we'd pay for our poor away form and that we'd lose ground following the matches at Hull and Burnley. James was selected for those games and we came away with four points without conceding a goal. Those who attended reported being pleasantly surprised by our ability in those games to keep it tight and James was singled out for praise by many. We went on to win our next away game, at Bristol City, without conceding.

I was more worried about the selection of King over James on Saturday than I was about anything happening up front.

I'm quite surprised to hear people say that King's selection was merited based on his performance against Wolves. I can't say I thought he was particularly good and even if he was it would only have been in comparison to his team mates. We were terrible against Wolves and lucky to get any kind of result. We were overpowered and outplayed in midfield and I thought we missed James badly. It's okay saying 'we shouldn't change a winning team' but when the winning team plays as badly as it did against Wolves it's quite obvious that something needs changing. We won that match in spite of our set up, not because of it.

Last edited:
But it could be a big factor? I watch the games and my eyes tell me it is a big factor in our weak away approach.

Don't you want to concentrate on the first part of my post? I suppose it doesn't fit in with your theory that King is to blame for every bad away performance.

I don't even know why I am defending King, I think he does go missing in games and I think James is the better option. I just agree that a player should keep his shirt if he plays well in the game before and that to blame one player for a teams performance seems a little harsh.

Ho hum.

It seems obvious to me that King being picked over James was a big factor in our defeat on Saturday. Not because King is a poor player but because he isn't suited to a scrap in the same way that James is.

Many of us went into the Christmas period concerned that we'd pay for our poor away form and that we'd lose ground following the matches at Hull and Burnley..

Personally don't see any physicality in James game which differs to that of King. The results at Hull and Burnley were largely down to playing 4-5-1. Giving us three in midfield makes up for a lack of physical presence hence why Pearson did chase Trotter from Millwall for a while in the transfer window. Five in midfield also gives the wingers a little bit more insurance to attack but the problem is that Nugent hates playing as a lone striker to which he admitted himself in the Burnley post-match interview.

Personally don't see any physicality in James game which differs to that of King. The results at Hull and Burnley were largely down to playing 4-5-1. Giving us three in midfield makes up for a lack of physical presence hence why Pearson did chase Trotter from Millwall for a while in the transfer window. Five in midfield also gives the wingers a little bit more insurance to attack but the problem is that Nugent hates playing as a lone striker to which he admitted himself in the Burnley post-match interview.

I'm not sure it's about physicality so much as it is about style of play. I see James as a more combative player than King and he think he is involved more in the play, whereas King has a tendency to become anonymous. I actually like King as a player but I feel more confident in our ability to grip a match and see out a lead with James in the side.

I don't understand why NP is so against playing one man just behind Nugent to strengthen the midfield slightly. 4-4-2 with King in the midfield away from does not work in my opinion.

Nugent would probably say that playing up top by himself is similar to playing up top with either Waghorn or Vardy.

I am guessing here, but even if Vardy has the goods to become decent at this level his confidence must be shot to pieces by now.

Give him to the Cobblers for the rest of the season to get him firing and guarantee me a ticket to Wembley.

I am guessing here, but even if Vardy has the goods to become decent at this level his confidence must be shot to pieces by now.

Give him to the Cobblers for the rest of the season to get him firing and guarantee me a ticket to Wembley.

And we'll take Akinfenwa (sp) in return

Joking.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572