Play-off semi-final 1st Leg - City 0 Cardiff 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think it was the best team selection, but seemed to have 0-0 written all over it until their goal (taken from a different spot - nice one ref). An inconsistent refereeing display didnt help either along with the constant fouling by the Cardiff players (how Bothroyd was still on the pitch at the end I dont understand). Second half we at least made a go of it and I cant believe we didnt score in those last 10 minutes. I hope that come Wednesday we go for it big style. Still, if we dont make it through I am mega proud of them for getting this far this season.

Last edited:
We definitely were more negative and direct than we usually are at home. I could understand the logic behind it given the occasion, but it just didn't work.

Wellens looked an absolute bag of nerves first half. He improved second half, but for about the first half an hour he couldn't seem to do anything right.

Last edited:
In many ways, this may not have been the best formation, but with Howard suspended and Vaughan injured, what should he have done? Kermo' has yet to really prove himself and Fryatt is not fit for a full 90 mins.

Slightly clutching at straws, but 1-0 is a difficult score to defend and Howard will be back: we could still do it!

I thought Alex Bruce looked quality. We will buy him as Hobbs is on his way if we don't go up, so I hear.

Wouldn't be surprised, too good for the Championship.

Aside from Hobbs, Berner and Bruce both had very good games. Dyer was poor. Waghorn got frustrated again playing lone striker. I'd feel better if I thought we could hang onto our better players for another push next season.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised, too good for the Championship.

I would think it more sensible for him (and wishful thinking from me) to have another couple of years here and really establish himself before moving on.

We will take £2 million for him. Fact.

I'd bloody well hope not. We will not be able to buy a centre back as good as Hobbs, at Hobbs' age as a replacement for £2million.

I would never sell him for that amount.

He's is young but I'm not sure he's young enough to still have time to spend a couple of years in the Championship, not if his aim is England or one of the top sides.

(Or maybe I'm just talking bullshit because I'm a bit depressed at the moment)

Anyway, I imagine it would also depend on how much money we have to spend in the summer and how much of a push we'll be making for automatic next season.

Of course, this is all irrelevant if we go up. There's a bit of me feels our line up is better suited for an away match right now. We score first on Weds and they will wobble. Whilst I thought up front they look dangerous, their defence is potentially weak..

This is in the balance. Big time.

I'm surprised people are saying how poor Dyer was tbh. I thought he looked by far our biggest threat til he went off.

To me, it showed their defence is weak against pace. Dyer, N'Guessan and Vaughan will be running rings round them come Wednesday.

Last edited:
Of course, this is all irrelevant if we go up. There's a bit of me feels our line up is better suited for an away match right now. We score first on Weds and they will wobble. Whilst I thought up front they look dangerous, their defence is potentially weak..

This is in the balance. Big time.

Absolutely, but we need to play differently. Do you play Howard? We can't go one up front again surely.

Last edited:
I think we have to play Howard purely for the height factor. I think an early goal from us Wednesday will make it interesting, we need to be a lot more physical though. Its not over until the fat lady sings !!

2million is shit, if we sold him for that it just shows our ambitions. After this season we should be using the summer to build and look for automatic promotion

I'm surprised people are saying how poor Dyer was tbh. I thought he looked by far our biggest threat til he went off.

To me, it showed their defence is weak against pace. Dyer, N'Guessan and Vaughan will be running rings round them come Wednesday.

It's strange how people see things differently. I thought Dyer was not up to his usual standard, and neither were Wellens, King and Bruce.

Hobbs was outstanding, Berner and Waggy weren't far behind.

I just feel disappointed.

I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights on tv - were those handballs as clear as they looked from my angle?

The team that finished that game...should be our starting11,or play Howard instead of Kermorgant.

I am really optimistic we get beat them at their place..in some ways the pressure is off us as most people will think we have blown our chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669