Play-off semi-final 1st Leg - City 0 Cardiff 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot agree with you there Harbs, Chopra hit the post and missed a decent chance plus Bothroyd went close from long range and then hit the bar in the second, and there was McCormacks chance at the end all from open play. I actually felt we looked disjointed at the back and missed Brown's organisation and on another day we could have been on the end of a far heavier defeat.

You highlight a few good chances there to be fair!! McCormacks was when we were chasing an equaliser and had most players forward to be fair. You may be right about Brown but against Chopra he would struggle with his movement and pace as Brown has neither, maybe Brown v Bothroyd but again I wouldn't feel to confident with that, Bruuuce and Hobbs looked strong yesterday and I would start them on Weds.

Of course the pressure is on you, Cardiff have everything to lose on Wednesday and we have everything to win.
But not all of it by any stretch. The longer the game goes without you scoring the more paniced you'll become. Fecking can't wait.

But not all of it by any stretch. The longer the game goes without you scoring the more paniced you'll become. Fecking can't wait.

Don't agree there Rydal, the longer the game stays 0-0 the more nervous and edgy your team and crowd will become. An early goal for us would be fantastic but in reality we have 90 minutes. However it is critical that we keep a clean sheet, that will increase the nerves and frustrate the home support and players who will be anxious to score and make the tie safe.

After that first half display I am happy that we are only 1-0 down. We could have been dead and buried by half time. Our performance after going 4-4-2 gives me enough confidence in the lads to turn it around Wednesday night.

On the other subjects that have been raised:

Tactics
Surprised to see 4-5-1 as we've played so well with 4-4-2. I think we played purley to avoid defeat and failed miserably.

The team also looked very nervous. The midfield three showed this the most, nether of them seemed willing to be adventurous and we had 7 palyers back more or less the whole of the first half. Also they seemed scared to try killer balls, always opting for the very safe options instead (until Hobbs had no choice but to hoof).

Fryatt
I don't think Solano's pass was what made the chance, it was Fryatt's assetiveness to stay on his feet and pick up the loose ball. As someone else has mentioned, I don't remmebr any of our forawards getting such chances in Fryatt's absence so i can forgive him for missing a chance he created himself. Still not really ready to start.

Solano
His best performance in a city chirt by miles.

Bruce/Brown
Brown would have been embarassed today. Keep him on the bench.

The free kick
That extra half a yard that Whittingham stole made all of the difference in the end. Cheating b*****d. Maybe we should have had 2 in the wall though.

Dyer/Galagher
Terrible performance. Didn't get involved, hid behind opposition players, didn't mark up. drop him.

Galagher, on the other hand, i thought was very good. The only player on the pitch willing to try something risky. He helped out defensively and when he did get into the game he was effective.

At the end of the day does it really matter. Whoever goes up will come straight back down anyway. When we lose on Weds I honestly hope that Forest or Blackpool beat the sheep, they are the dirtiest team I have seen in a long time. Every player they have is over rated, Chopra fat little shit who is just generally a ****. Bothroyd all he does is foul and give away free kicks, lanky streak of piss. Whittingham fairplay great free kick, set pieces only thing he is good at wouldn't last a minute in the prem, Ledley, decent again very overrated and the role he plays is one that isn't hard. Cardiff deserve the win really, imagine living in Wales for your whole life, they deserve some cheer, poor poor people.

At the end of the day does it really matter. Whoever goes up will come straight back down anyway. When we lose on Weds I honestly hope that Forest or Blackpool beat the sheep, they are the dirtiest team I have seen in a long time. Every player they have is over rated, Chopra fat little shit who is just generally a ****. Bothroyd all he does is foul and give away free kicks, lanky streak of piss. Whittingham fairplay great free kick, set pieces only thing he is good at wouldn't last a minute in the prem, Ledley, decent again very overrated and the role he plays is one that isn't hard. Cardiff deserve the win really, imagine living in Wales for your whole life, they deserve some cheer, poor poor people.

That's it harbs. If you have no real argument just turn to personal insults in the true blue mongie way.

Don't agree there Rydal,
What don't you agree with? You will become more paniced the longer it goes on without a goal, I know we would. You'll have to throw more men forward which will give our superior attack more room and chances. We are very good at exploiting teams who are chasing.

At the end of the day does it really matter. Whoever goes up will come straight back down anyway..

It only matters if you believe that circa £60m plus the parachute monies
is a tidy sum which if sensibly invested could at least improve our position to move forward even if relegated - then there is the other small matter of the challenge which might just matter slightly to some players of the opportunity to play against the best in the UK.....plus for those one or two members of the paying public who would rather watch top flight football than revelling in a mid-winter trip to Doncaster of a Tuesday night. Apart from that Harbro......as you have identified in your typically intelligent post...it doesn't matter much at all!

It only matters if you believe that circa £60m plus the parachute monies
is a tidy sum which if sensibly invested could at least improve our position to move forward even if relegated - then there is the other small matter of the challenge which might just matter slightly to some players of the opportunity to play against the best in the UK.....plus for those one or two members of the paying public who would rather watch top flight football than revelling in a mid-winter trip to Doncaster of a Tuesday night. Apart from that Harbro......as you have identified in your typically intelligent post...it doesn't matter much at all!

Great post.

The paying public who would rather pay 60 pound to go and watch us lose 4-0 at Man Utd on a Tuesday night. I'd rather pay 12 pound and go suppot an honest bunch of players grind out a 1-0 win at Selhurst park or the Keepmoat stadium. Yes, the joy of playing against world class players and cheats such as Drogba diving around and getting the decisions because he plays for the league champions ahhh I can't wait. And the money, getting promotion and doing just like Hull did by bringing in players they can't afford such as Boateng and Bullard because they need to survive and then when they don't survive they find themselves in 30 million pounds of debt and a possible points deduction. You forgot to mention the packed out Walkers stadium full of the terrific fans who have followed us through thick and thin, the ground obviously won't be full of part timers who are there to watch the big name players, just like the fans who were they against Scunny to watch us get promoted. I would like promotion but lets be realistic it isn't as good as it is made out to be just ask Hull....

On the other hand, we go up, Mandy sells us to a nice rich sugardaddy and we do a Fulham.

Great post.

The paying public who would rather pay 60 pound to go and watch us lose 4-0 at Man Utd on a Tuesday night. I'd rather pay 12 pound and go suppot an honest bunch of players grind out a 1-0 win at Selhurst park or the Keepmoat stadium. Yes, the joy of playing against world class players and cheats such as Drogba diving around and getting the decisions because he plays for the league champions ahhh I can't wait. And the money, getting promotion and doing just like Hull did by bringing in players they can't afford such as Boateng and Bullard because they need to survive and then when they don't survive they find themselves in 30 million pounds of debt and a possible points deduction. You forgot to mention the packed out Walkers stadium full of the terrific fans who have followed us through thick and thin, the ground obviously won't be full of part timers who are there to watch the big name players, just like the fans who were they against Scunny to watch us get promoted. I would like promotion but lets be realistic it isn't as good as it is made out to be just ask Hull....
Not sure fairly recent promotees Brum, Wolves, Sunderland, Stoke or Wigan would agree. Or Man City for that matter.

you still here?

In just 10 years they have gone from being a div team playing at Maine Road to having a 50,000 odd seater stadium, endless pots of cash and Tevez, Adebayor, Toure and Given playing for them. 10 years is nothing really for that kind of change to happen.

In just 10 years they have gone from being a div team playing at Maine Road to having a 50,000 odd seater stadium, endless pots of cash and Tevez, Adebayor, Toure and Given playing for them. 10 years is nothing really for that kind of change to happen.

10 years is hardly recent though is it. Man City are an exception anyway.

Great post.

It all depends how sensibly a club responds financially to getting promotion and how well they are managed.

Hull who have a couple of decent players had a bit of an opportunity to survive for a second season; Burnley were shafted by Coyle.....and the Wolves and Birmingham have flourished.

Anyway, unfortunately we are now very unlikely to find out.

I wouldn't be so certain about the long term stickability of the "terrific fans who have followed us through thick and thin". The season in the third division was a bit of a party and the support has been decent this year against the background of over-achievement. However, the longer we are stuck in the financial quagmire of the second division - the worse it will get.

I think the differing opinions here proves a lot.

You'd think we were utter doggo going off some tho....typical play-off first leg this was. Cardiff did their homework on us, we prefer to counter and soak up the pressure. They just kept their shape awaited for the set-piece, breakaway which was aided by a front pair who as much I dislike (give Chopra five years he'll be on a council estate on Tyneside pissed up and with feck all to do) whose movement is by far the best in the division.

I have to agree with Rhydal though on pressure. We're got to do running....however if either team scores in the first half, you might as well throw the form book out of the window. It will be an attacking free for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669