Pre Match Portsmouth (Home)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. We know. You said.
:icon_wink

Haha to be fair I said I wasn't a fan of Pearson and when we started off well, I was prepared to admit I was wrong. Since then however, it's gone as I'd feared and I go into ever weekend thinking we might scrape a point but never confident of a win. At least with Sven, I thought this could be the game where we start to put a decent run together. Now, like a lot of us on here, I'm just completely bereft of confidence about our prospects of picking up 3 points from a game no matter who we are playing.

Yes and I believe that as a kid he had a trial with Hinckley Athletic too - then like so many young players in those days he got obsessed with all this existentualism stuff and lost focus just spending his Saturdays endlessly analysing Birch's programme notes.
Perhaps he stole this deep insight from the Birch:
"In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

Perhaps he stole this deep insight from the Birch:
"In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

I prefer to remember Sartre as the young kid standing on one of the iron frame barriers towards the back of SK4 shouting "'Allo Lester aggro, Lester aggro,
allo".

Wonderful days!

Haha to be fair I said I wasn't a fan of Pearson and when we started off well, I was prepared to admit I was wrong. Since then however, it's gone as I'd feared and I go into ever weekend thinking we might scrape a point but never confident of a win. At least with Sven, I thought this could be the game where we start to put a decent run together. Now, like a lot of us on here, I'm just completely bereft of confidence about our prospects of picking up 3 points from a game no matter who we are playing.

Would you say that you had reservations about Nigel?

I prefer to remember Sartre as the young kid standing on one of the iron frame barriers towards the back of SK4 shouting "'Allo Lester aggro, Lester aggro,
allo".

Wonderful days!

Yes, I remember him well. He composed the wonderful ditty 'Leicester boot boys rule the Midlands, la la la la la, la la la la' to the tune of 'Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly'. I always think of it fondly at this time of year.

The way you worded that may have people thinking he hasn't scored in front of a home crowd yet.

Well anybody with half a brain can see that the pitchforks are out for him already, despite hitting a couple. I can understand it but I also trust he'll come good eventually. Give it a transfer window, a little time and we might see some kind of return.

Well anybody with half a brain can see that the pitchforks are out for him already, despite hitting a couple. I can understand it but I also trust he'll come good eventually. Give it a transfer window, a little time and we might see some kind of return.

I doubt the mongs will give him that long unfortunately.

Would you say that you had reservations about Nigel?

definitely so. I think everyone here knows that

I now I was quite vocal on that front about my preference for Billy or Roy Keane....but having heard the story about his comments regarding Clive Clarke, I wouldn't want Keane here now. I don't particularly want the club to throw itself into further turmoil by sacking another manager but I just hate the fact it looks as though I'm being proved right so far.

definitely so. I think everyone here knows that

I now I was quite vocal on that front about my preference for Billy or Roy Keane....but having heard the story about his comments regarding Clive Clarke, I wouldn't want Keane here now. I don't particularly want the club to throw itself into further turmoil by sacking another manager but I just hate the fact it looks as though I'm being proved right so far.

Well my take is that Nigel has inherited a poisoned chalice and possibly regrets coming here. But the point is that we know NP can get results in this division. Unfortunately Sven was hopeless at managing in this league and has wasted millions, has brought in players and tried to delude us and possibly himself that they are top draw, has a created a set of mediocre to half decent mid fielders without getting the skills set right... and generally tried to lead us and the media and other clubs that we are a quality outfit. As it happens every other club knows now that this is rubbish and wants to play against us.

In this situation its going to take time to sort it and its probably going to be a bit painful for the rest of this season.

Henderson

Stearman
McCarthy (cpt)
Kisnorbo
Nissa

Sylla
Hughes
Tiatto
Welsh

Hume
Fryatt

Subs:
Douglas, De Vries, Smith, Maybury & Elvis

Well my take is that Nigel has inherited a poisoned chalice and possibly regrets coming here. But the point is that we know NP can get results in this division. Unfortunately Sven was hopeless at managing in this league and has wasted millions, has brought in players and tried to delude us and possibly himself that they are top draw, has a created a set of mediocre to half decent mid fielders without getting the skills set right... and generally tried to lead us and the media and other clubs that we are a quality outfit. As it happens every other club knows now that this is rubbish and wants to play against us.

In this situation its going to take time to sort it and its probably going to be a bit painful for the rest of this season.

Oh jebus, you aren't the most depressing person on here any more. Not sure if you've half filled your glass, or some others have tipped theirs over.

I agree to a certain extent but I don't think Sven was as bad as a lot make out here. His signings this season have not lived up to the expectations we had but if he were that bad, we would have gone down last season and not been the nearly men that we were. He propelled us up the league last season, made some excellent shrewd signings and to a degree was a victim of his own success. The loan signings he made are now all playing in the premier league and I think this scuppered his plans for this season somewhat. Unfortunately his plan B has been less successful.

Pearson has tried to force a 4-4-2 formation on a squad that doesn't have the facilities to play it. Whilst the chalice at Leicester certainly has its poisons, Pearson has added his own poison to the cocktail by being stubborn and not trying to make do with what he has until the transfer window opens. By doing so he has made his job all the more difficult to do. To me that's a sign of a manager with serious limitations and a strong indicator that the board made the wrong appointment. I just hope we get it right sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess at the starting line-up:

Kasper

Peltier
Mills
Bamba
Konchesky

Wellens
King
Abe

Gallagher

Beckford
Nugent

The only way we're going to get anything out of this will be from Portsmouth making errors. If they keep it anywhere near tight at the back then we're ****ed.

I've lost all enthusiasm for going to the matches now. Boring football, poor results and we just haven't looked like winning recently.

Keep Abe in the side, keep Dyer on the bench. They are my only requests.

, im predicting 3-1 Beckford brace Bamba

This is a bit of a comedown. In the pre-match thread for Doncaster Fludie predicted Beckford would get a hat trick. I do hope that Beckfrord's failure to score in 14 of his 16 matches is not lessening expectations.

I have no idea what the score will be. However, I predict that Nugent will see a lot more of the ball than Beckford and that the post-match thread will put all the blame for this on our midfield.

It is possible that dpj fox is right Stranger things have happened that a Beckford brace - Robbie Neilson scored against Sunderland. If Beckford does score a brace I will be delighted although "I told you so"s will make the post-match thread one to be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566