Potential replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Have we done this yet?? Anyhow my suggestion is Bruce Rioch. No compo as he is unattached.

Not a bad shout Luke, although 5 years out of management might be a bit too long.

How about Phil Thompson the ex Liverpool assistant, he is really passionate and did have a spell as caretaker when Houllier was ill. And again he is unattached. Played under some fantastic managers surely some of there methods will have influenced him. Maybe with Gary Mac as Assistant.

DurhamFox said:
George Graham for a year assisted by Tony Adams ( to eventually take over?)

Good suggestion, although Adams record at Wycombe left a lot to be desired, I would prefer Graham to do at least 2 years and let Adams serve a real apprenticeship.

In a similar vein how about Roy Evans assisted by Nigel Clough, with Clough Jnr groomed to succeed in 18 months / 2 years.

David Blunkett's got some free time...

I like the idea of Phil Thompson, and it maybe slightly off topic, but I can't understand why/how he doesn't have a job. He was doing really well at Liverpool while Houllier was ill, and that was for a few months I thought, wasn't just 1 or 2 games. He'd done really well and it seemed like he was ready to move on from just being an assistant to someone. But yet now I don't think he's working at all. Has he been a manager at all since? I'd definetely give him a go.

The Graham/Adams partnership could be interesting.

I would quite like to see an experienced manager come in, who could come in just short term, with an understudy like that. Maybe not Tony Adams, but somebody with a Leicester connection to try and get some passion about the club into the players. Someone like Walshie (maybe not ;)) or Elliott (I think someone said he's getting his coaching badges?), or Stevie Claridge who has a little managerial experience but clearly needs to learn more before we'd consider him.. Someone who was passionate about the club that is serious about wanting to be a manger in the future. Not saying those people would be great managers, but if we're going to get a manager in short term then it might be worth a go getting someone like that in as assistant or a coach to try and instill some passion, and then it gives the board a chance to see if they could be a manager for Leicester, rather than just getting someone short term then being back to square one in the hunt for someone new in the summer.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Good suggestion, although Adams record at Wycombe left a lot to be desired, I would prefer Graham to do at least 2 years and let Adams serve a real apprenticeship.

In a similar vein how about Roy Evans assisted by Nigel Clough, with Clough Jnr groomed to succeed in 18 months / 2 years.

You might be right.

My point really is that there are some good people out there who we could get for nowt!

Graz said:
I like the idea of Phil Thompson, and it maybe slightly off topic, but I can't understand why/how he doesn't have a job. He was doing really well at Liverpool while Houllier was ill, and that was for a few months I thought, wasn't just 1 or 2 games. He'd done really well and it seemed like he was ready to move on from just being an assistant to someone. But yet now I don't think he's working at all. Has he been a manager at all since? I'd definetely give him a go.

The Graham/Adams partnership could be interesting.

I would quite like to see an experienced manager come in, who could come in just short term, with an understudy like that. Maybe not Tony Adams, but somebody with a Leicester connection to try and get some passion about the club into the players. Someone like Walshie (maybe not ;)) or Elliott (I think someone said he's getting his coaching badges?), or Stevie Claridge who has a little managerial experience but clearly needs to learn more before we'd consider him.. Someone who was passionate about the club that is serious about wanting to be a manger in the future. Not saying those people would be great managers, but if we're going to get a manager in short term then it might be worth a go getting someone like that in as assistant or a coach to try and instill some passion, and then it gives the board a chance to see if they could be a manager for Leicester, rather than just getting someone short term then being back to square one in the hunt for someone new in the summer.

I agree, a Leciester connection would be ideal. I'd take Walsh, Elliot and Taggart with someone like Cottee/Mills/Mcallister in charge.

DurhamFox said:
I agree, a Leciester connection would be ideal. I'd take Walsh, Elliot and Taggart with someone like Cottee/Mills/Mcallister in charge.

For me I think Cottee and Gary Mac would fall into the category with Stevie Clardige of despite having been managers in the past, they need more experience before they'd be considered as our manager, but I would like to see them as assistants.

DurhamFox said:
You might be right.

My point really is that there are some good people out there who we could get for nowt!

Definately and I still think many managers would be tempted by a club with Leicester's potential, new ground, decent attendences, young and in the main talented squad, and a decent academy system, all in all not the worst job in the world, with a bit of tinkering and a couple of decent signings and IMO the situation could be saved.

I still like what I've heard about Dave Penney, the Doncaster boss. Whether we could get him is another issue though. Heard he's done a good job at Doncaster, and from what I saw of them in the cup games this season, they looked a good side that played some nice football, although obviously those couple of games aren't much to base it on really. Fits the clubs usual profile of going for young, up and coming managers too.

Or there's always Martin O'Neill again ;) A really slim shot (if that!), but if his wife is better now (I've not heard anything about her) and he feels like he might want to get back into management he might fancy another shot, just til the end of the season to see how his family copes with it, and then he could move onto a bigger club again ;)

Last edited:
MON is nursing his wife who has cancer - so am guessing the reasons for leaving celtic still stand.

Bruce Rioch not a bad call - old-ish head is what we need to steady the ship. As for being out of the game for 5 years (yep we need a striker and fast) but what he needs to do foremost is motivate the players we have. Our squad is better than our position we should in mid-table at least.

Dave Penney would cost us and on top of having to pay Levein off - can't see it - unless the boy Lineker can knock out some crisp ads quick smart

foxes1970 said:
MON is nursing his wife who has cancer - so am guessing the reasons for leaving celtic still stand.

Bruce Rioch not a bad call - old-ish head is what we need to steady the ship. As for being out of the game for 5 years (yep we need a striker and fast) but what he needs to do foremost is motivate the players we have. Our squad is better than our position we should in mid-table at least.

Ah, didn't realise what was wrong with his wife. Can't see him returning to managmenet for quite a while then. He wasn't really a serious suggestion anyway, just a dream ;) Hope his wife gets well soon though, although I guess that's unlikely. Poor MON :(

foxes1970 said:
Dave Penney would cost us and on top of having to pay Levein off - can't see it - unless the boy Lineker can knock out some crisp ads quick smart

Well Lineker will no doubt be presenting the game against Spurs on BBC at the weekend. Hopefully when he sees first hand how crap we are he'll think "Good God this can't carry on!!" and give the board money to get rid of Levein and hire anyone they want! ;)

Gary be thee name needs to do something - even if its get on the phone to jim mccahill and time davies to ask what the feck is going on?

as ive said on another thread keegan, hes a good motivator and has a good track record of launching ailing former premiership teams up this division, also he's the sort of big name (which unfortunately might mean a big wage) who might attract one or 2 players we might not otherwise get

as for phil thompson im also surprised he doesnt have a job - wonder if its possibly because hes so obsessed with liverpool he cant imagine being involved with anyone else?

IF levein goes it should only be if we have a manager with some experience in this league lined up - feel one of the problems must be that we have a manager with no experience in this league trying to coach a group of players the vast majority of whom are playing their first full season of championship and in some cases english football. the blind leading the blind perhaps?

DurhamFox said:
George Graham for a year assisted by Tony Adams ( to eventually take over?)

George Graham won't get out of bed for less than 50 grand.He prices himself out of every job going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566