Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One positive...

Everyone will see how the game is a pointless load of old shit without the loyal punters who actually attend games.

It will be a turgid shit show. Worse than when you pop round the parents place and it's unfortunately coincided with Emerdale being on TV.

A passionless and pointless exercise that highlights the greed and the vulgar nature of the modern football industry.

Whatever people think of it, though, it will be billed as the Premier League returning to help the nation get back to normality. The saviour returns!!

Brand Premier League is propped up by armchair fans and plastic Liverpool and Yanited fans who have never been anywhere near the North West in their lives

For those vapid ****wits it will be a (sort of) success

For proper football fans it will be a complete shitfest

I'm finding the arguments about "sporting integrity" against many of the potential solutions to them actually finishing the season a bit annoying. They're desperate for the matches to be played for the money, that's it. All "integrity " is out the window, whether it's at closed stadiums, neutral stadiums, or being played on Mars. Those against it are concerned about the money that relegation will cost them. Let's drop any sort of pretence about what shows integrity. If you're desperate to play for the money, then play. If you're not, then don't.

I'm finding the arguments about "sporting integrity" against many of the potential solutions to them actually finishing the season a bit annoying. They're desperate for the matches to be played for the money, that's it. All "integrity " is out the window, whether it's at closed stadiums, neutral stadiums, or being played on Mars. Those against it are concerned about the money that relegation will cost them. Let's drop any sort of pretence about what shows integrity. If you're desperate to play for the money, then play. If you're not, then don't.

All clubs threatened with relegation have, by now, worked out that it would financially benefit them for the season not to complete. Those in the relegation zone want the season abandoned entirely. Those in the top four want the season ended as is. Those in between all these are all working out where their interests are best served. They're probably the ones driving the matches beyond closed doors asap nonsense most of all.

Nobody is leading this mess because we have a Premier League which only exists as twenty voting members. There is no leadership beyond that. So in a situation like we're in, everyone reverts to self-interest which means money. This might be the trigger that sees that set up crumble and that would be extremely bad for the game.

Then you've got UEFA stupidly setting arbitrary deadlines for seasons to be finished ignoring how completely differently this virus is affecting their member countries.

I have zero interest in football coming back until fans are able to attend their home stadiums safely, and all those employed by football can carry out their work safely.

Every embarrassing shit show non-event we see until then will be the exact opposite of sporting integrity.

Barney Ronay always strikes me as someone who hates football, always seems to be really miserable both in print and when he's on their podcast

There is never going to be an ideal solution. If the season is abandoned it will hit every club financially, which with the money involved could ruin a lot of clubs.

If you finish the season as it is, then there will be legal challenges, if you have no relegation there will be less money to go around more clubs, if there is no promotion there is more legal challenges.

Perhaps in future there will be a solution written into the rules, but for now, there is so much money in the premier League that those making the decision are between a rock and hard place.

I don't know what the best decision is, but I do think the wrong one could cause a catastrophic collapse for many clubs, and possibly the league.

I believe they are desperate to finish the season because anything else is going to be very expensive and painful indeed.

It shows that the Premier League is not really sustainable as it is at the moment, and a rebuild might not be a bad thing in the long run but if it happens it won't be easy.

All "integrity " is out the window, whether it's at closed stadiums, neutral stadiums, or being played on Mars.
Do you have any idea how long it would take to develop the technology to allow Premier League football to be played on Mars? Transport for players, staff, officials, and the essential 1433 journalists that absolutely must attend every game, constructing stadia and training grounds and housing, temperature control, food production, artificial weather, **** knows what else. Probably won’t get it all done by June. This might actually be a dumber idea than Game 39, which was a quite impressive level of dumbshittery.

Hang your head in shame, ppf. You earned a comparison to Richard Scudamore.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to develop the technology to allow Premier League football to be played on Mars? Transport for players, staff, officials, and the essential 1433 journalists that absolutely must attend every game, constructing stadia and training grounds and housing, temperature control, food production, artificial weather, **** knows what else. Probably won’t get it all done by June. This might actually be a dumber idea than Game 39, which was a quite impressive level of dumbshittery.

Hang your head in shame, ppf. You earned a comparison to Richard Scudamore.
Would you put it past them to try?

The longer this drags on the more my suggestion of points per game for everyone else but relegate the bottom 6 seems ideal.

Brighton confirm another player has tested positive.

Not going to re-start anytime soon
Dynamo Dresden, who play in the second tier of German football, have put their entire squad and coaching staff into two-week isolation after two players tested positive for coronavirus.

Honestly struggling to sort all of this out in my own head, but for now, a bit of stuff about other sports and how they are handling. Broadly, this is all about TV money...

UFC goes ahead despite multiple positive tests including a fighter: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-dana-white-mishandling-coronavirus-protocol/

NASCAR starts next week, will fine individuals and teams for violating guidelines: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...000-breaking-covid-19-safety-rules/111672738/

Bundesliga set for this Friday, but Dresden team completely locked down: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...blow-dynamo-dresden-team-quarantined-covid-19

NFL releases season schedule, with specific dates engineered to reduce travel/can be easily rescheduled:

Honestly struggling to sort all of this out in my own head, but for now, a bit of stuff about other sports and how they are handling. Broadly, this is all about TV money...

UFC goes ahead despite multiple positive tests including a fighter: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-dana-white-mishandling-coronavirus-protocol/

NASCAR starts next week, will fine individuals and teams for violating guidelines: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...000-breaking-covid-19-safety-rules/111672738/

Bundesliga set for this Friday, but Dresden team completely locked down: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...blow-dynamo-dresden-team-quarantined-covid-19

NFL releases season schedule, with specific dates engineered to reduce travel/can be easily rescheduled:
Yeah I was reading about the NFL schedule. They’ve obviously built in a fair bit of flexibility, should things need to be moved about a bit, including 2 weeks with no divisional matches, which could be shelved altogether.

I just don’t understand why they can’t average the home and away points so far and calculate a final table. Boom. Done. Then we can all crack on with preparation for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566