Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now France has decided liga 1 and liga 2 games will not resume this season after the government decided no sports will take place even behind closed doors until September.

Impossible for it to happen.

Just call it

Now France has decided liga 1 and liga 2 games will not resume this season after the government decided no sports will take place even behind closed doors until September.

The problem with this approach is what happens if/when they cannot resume in September?

I don't see any value in abandoning seasons when we don't know the future (whether next season will go ahead). If they're not careful, they'll just end up fecking up two seasons instead of one. I honestly cannot see any country being able to begin a new season in the autumn and play it all the way through.

At least it is finally dawning on some countries that there is no chance of any football until at least September. The ridiculous idea in this country of matches behind closed doors in June/July is going to look utterly insane soon.

I agree, BN, but you’re underestimating the sheer greed of the Permier League, TV companies and Club Chairmen

They are utter filth, and will arrive at some total abomination of a scheme where something actually happens behind closed doors that they can put on telly.
It will be absolutely ****ing horrendous, but I’m convinced those bastards will go for it

As for crowds sitting in a stadium watching football - not a ****ing chance of that happening for months and months

I agree, BN, but you’re underestimating the sheer greed of the Permier League, TV companies and Club Chairmen

They are utter filth, and will arrive at some total abomination of a scheme where something actually happens behind closed doors that they can put on telly.
It will be absolutely ****ing horrendous, but I’m convinced those bastards will go for it

As for crowds sitting in a stadium watching football - not a ****ing chance of that happening for months and months

They'll bring it back too early over here. Money talks which is why it's as bad as it is.

Footballers will play games, continue to meet prostitutes, go driving about on the lash and so on while the average person has to stay in.

They'll bring it back too early over here. Money talks which is why it's as bad as it is.

Footballers will play games, continue to meet prostitutes, go driving about on the lash and so on while the average person has to stay in.

And then they'll get sick. And it'll get shut down again.

And then they'll get sick. And it'll get shut down again.

Yup. Then again.....Greggs are talking about reopening soon. Bit of a waste of time people socially isolating and distancing if that sort of thing happens.

Currently listening to 5Live. I might be a tad biased and I haven't listened intently but Peter Ridsdale makes my piss boil. Suspend or cancel, but FFS don't rush.

Regarding the football, I personally think they will still get it on. All those countries that are declaring their season over are not or anywhere near the beast of the Premier lge. The money involved and the implications are much greater here.

Regarding the football, I personally think they will still get it on. All those countries that are declaring their season over are not or anywhere near the beast of the Premier lge. The money involved and the implications are much greater here.
A lot are being forced by government as well, unless ours does similar they won’t give up willingly

Simon Jordan spoke a lot of sense on Talkshite today.

He was thinking ahead to the only realistic option of playing the whole of next season behind closed doors. The effect of which will mean half of all league clubs below the Premier League going bust as they are reliant on matchday income. He also wisely threw in several other concerns, such as the chance of clubs being up on corporate manslaughter charges if a player dies after getting infected whilst representing their club. If football plays with fire, it will get burnt.

He was saying many of the things that really have to be thought through properly before anyone thinks about playing a game of football again. People need to get their heads out of cloud cuckoo land.

There are only two workable options that I can see, or possibly a combination of both of them:

1. The only serious money in the game comes from TV into the Premier League. I think that the Premier League will need to take out a massive loan and support the rest of the leagues for approx. a year on the basis that they'll get that money back over the next few years. They cannot be seen to allow clubs to go bust and the unique English brand be ruined forever. Yes, the Premier League is a money grabbing elite of greedy bastards, but they are hopefully smarter than cutting their own arms off for a quick meal.

2. The Premier League clubs will have to accept no football means no income in the short term. That will mean players will have to take massive wage cuts for the duration of the closure. They will maybe have to set up a standard wage for all Premier League players of say £500k a year as a retainer. They will squeal but public opinion will kill them if they take their clubs to court. It isn't as if they can take their trade elsewhere anyway. The whole world will be in the same boat.

Football can then, and only then, sit it out. Wait until we can return safely. I know this isn't appealing to anyone who loves football but the alternatives all lead to dead ends of disaster as far as I can see.

They are utter filth, and will arrive at some total abomination of a scheme where something actually happens behind closed doors that they can put on telly....

Ah....that there footballing logic again!

Premier League is now advising clubs to call in their overseas players in readiness for restarting in June. Good luck with that one. Not sure that as a multi-millionaire living abroad at home with my family that I'm too interested at the moment to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566