Premier League transfer plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was right with my biggest disappointment prediction. Got Udinese being good all wrong though.

Since only 25 players can be named in the squad, we should look at who is currently on the books and we'd want to keep to work out how many additions will be necessary/allowed.

GK: Schmiechel, Logan: 2
Def: De Laet, Konchesky, Morgan, Schlupp, Moore, Wasilewski: 6
Mid: Drinkwater, Hammond, James, King, Dyer, Knockaert, Mahrez: 7
Att: Vardy, Nugent, Wood: 3

Total: 18

Doing this brought home to me how small our squad is, we've got room for seven more players even before we sell any that I would think could do a job (the others can all go). I would think we need a solid back-up to Kasper; someone to challenge De Laet and a fourth centre-half in defence, one more wideman and someone who can sit in midfield, and a striker - that's six with a space still going.

Objection!

Marshall started shite, had a spell where we was superb and then became this utterly useless, petulant little twat who appeared to have no interest in developing his apparent talent. He's since gone on to be a total waste of space for Blackburn as well. He will drop down the leagues and be a 'remember him' playing for Aldershot in a few seasons.

Wood joined full of fanfare. He scored a few and looked great for about six weeks. Then he went off the boil massively and has now been bang average for the last year. He's hardly played for us in that time and scored very few goals either, mainly because he's been poor. He may turn out to be a good player but he can hardly be said to be £1m well spent right now. I also disapprove of him poncing about round the world playing in half-baked matches for New Zealand. If he did become a key player for us, this would be very unsettling.

Damn him for playing for his country.

The squad limit of 25 in the Premier League isn't as black and white as some seem to think.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/sep/premier-league-squad-lists-201314.html

The 20 Barclays Premier League clubs have submitted their squads that will compete in the 2013/14 campaign.
Following the closure of the summer transfer window on 2 September, the clubs had a deadline of Wednesday afternoon to submit their squad of up to 25 players which contains no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the Home Grown Player criteria.
The rest of the squad must be Home Grown.
A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).
U21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.
Changes to the squad list can only be made during the transfer window, which opens again on 1 January 2014.

For example:

Arsenal

25 squad players
Player (Home Grown)
Arteta Amatriain, Mikel (No)
Bendtner, Nicklas (Yes)
Cazorla, Santiago (No)
Diaby, Vassiriki Abou (No)
Fabianski, Lukasz (No)
Flamini, Mathieu (No)
Gibbs, Kieran James Ricardo (Yes)
Giroud, Olivier (No)
Koscielny, Laurent (No)
Mertesacker, Per (No)
Monreal, Ignacio (No)
Ozil, Mesut (No)
Park, Chu Young (No)
Podolski, Lukas (No)
Ramsey, Aaron James (Yes)
Rosicky, Tomas (No)
Sagna, Bacary (No)
Szczesny, Wojciech Tomasz (Yes)
Vermaelen, Thomas (No)
Viviano, Emiliano (No)
Walcott, Theo James (Yes)

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)
Afobe, Benik
Akpom, Chuba
Alves da Silva, Wellington
Aneke, Chukwuemeka Ademola Amachi
Ansah, Zak Andy
Bellerin, Hector
Boateng, Daniel
Campbell, Joel
Crowley, Daniel
Dallison Lisbon, Thomas Albert
Dawkins, Tarum
Eisfeld, Thomas
Fagan, Zachari Freddy Casey
Frimpong, Emmanuel Yan
Galindo, Samuel
Gnabry, Serge David
Hayden, Isaac Scot
Huddart, Ryan David
Iliev, Deyan
Iwobi, Alex
Jebb, Jack
Jeffrey, Anthony Lamar Malcolm
Jenkinson, Carl Daniel
Kamara, Glen
Lipman, Austin
Maitland Niles, Ainsley
Martinez, Damian Emiliano
Miquel Pons, Ignasi
Miyaichi, Ryo
Moore, Tafari Lalibela
Mugabo, Alfred Martin
O'Connor, Stefan Ramone Sewell
Olsson, Mats Kristoffer
Ormonde Ottewill, Brandon
Oxlade Chamberlain, Alexander Mark David
Raage, Jamaal Weli
Sanogo, Yaya
Siemann, Leander
Smith, Renny Piers
Toral, Jon Miquel
Uade, Obasiarinse Idehaloise
Vickers, Josh
Wilshere, Jack Andrew
Wright, Elliot
Yennaris, Nicholas
Zelalem, Gedion

If you look in the list of U21 players, who fall outside the limit of 25, you can find examples such as Wilshere, Jenkinson and Oxlade Chamberlain, who obviously still form an important part of their "squad".

Last edited:
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/premier-deals/story-20890065-detail/story.html

Nigel Pearson said his Leicester City players deserve a chance to play in the Premier League.

City can move nine points clear at the top of the Championship if they beat Wigan at the DW Stadium tonight (7.45).

It would be another significant step to ensuring promotion to the top flight and, although Pearson is guarded against saying the job is done until City officially cross the finishing line, he did say that he plans to keep this squad together for next season.

Pearson has already said he wants to offer defender Marcin Wasilewski a new contract and said he hoped the other players out of contract at the end of the campaign will sign new deals.

Kasper Schmeichel, Lloyd Dyer, David Nugent and Lloyd Dyer are among those out of contract at the end of June.

"As far as I am concerned, this group deserves an opportunity, providing we do get promotion, to play at the next level," he said.

"The players know we will discuss it (contracts) at the end of the season.

"Marcin already knows I would like him to stay and I have gone on record to say I want to keep this squad together.

"Without going into details, that would indicate there aren't going to be too many changes.

"Whether players and the club can then agree deals is something else.

"The players have managed to remain focused on the job and I remember the build-up to the January window when there was an awful lot of speculation about whether we would lose players.

"The speculation is generated by third parties and it is amazing that, all of a sudden, because we are in a very strong position, I haven't heard anything.

"That goes to prove that people want to be a part of success.

"My view is the same, I am pragmatic about it. I am not going to be drawn too much into these sorts of issues.

"But I think success on the pitch will indicate how we move forward, and it will either help us keep players here or recruit other players."

Maybe i'm reading that wrong/taking it out of context. But is Nigel suggesting here that he wants everyone to stay and isn't planning on bring to many in? (That might be jumping to conclusions)

If it just possibly three new 'stars' in, striker, midfielder, defender, then our current first 15-18 know they will be offered PL contracts, probably a better one than the bottom 10 clubs in the Premier League would offer.

I cannot see any of ours would be automatic starts in the top 10 clubs so their best chance of being a regular player is to sign again for us. Nugent, James and Konchesky/Schlupp might find themselves as bench starts.

As well as any other signings we make, another keeper has to be a priority. We've been fortunate (so far) that Kasper hasn't picked up an injury. Surely we can't be expected to go into the Premier League with Conrad Logan as our backup goalie.

I think we'll see 6 signings come in as a minimum.

As much as I really like our squad from this year for doing so well, it is a completely different game in the Premiership.

Logan, Phillips & Taylor-Fletcher will all need replacing for a start and that's 3 already. This is before considering our first 20-goal a season striker in God knows how long has been deemed not good enough already so the list will only grow!

Saying that, we do generally have a young squad who will hopefully rise to the occasion but we will need some experience in there somewhere and will probably play a more defensive game in the Premiership so will need different players to cover that.

Last edited:
... is Mark Draper available? What about Ade Akinbiyi?

Serious note; I hope we don't try and 'impress' by making a couple of big-money signings that upset the balance and morale of the squad. Keep it simple and keep the changes small.

... is Mark Draper available? What about Ade Akinbiyi?

Serious note; I hope we don't try and 'impress' by making a couple of big-money signings that upset the balance and morale of the squad. Keep it simple and keep the changes small.

Wot he said. Our current first choice 11 (with possibly 14 to choose from) is good enough to hold its own in the premier with a couple of additions.

I think we'll see 6 signings come in as a minimum.

As much as I really like our squad from this year for doing so well, it is a completely different game in the Premiership.

Logan, Phillips & Taylor-Fletcher will all need replacing for a start and that's 3 already. This is before considering our first 20-goal a season striker in God knows how long has been deemed not good enough already so the list will only grow!

Saying that, we do generally have a young squad who will hopefully rise to the occasion but we will need some experience in there somewhere and will probably play a more defensive game in the Premiership so will need different players to cover that.
Matty Fryatt not so long ago. Btw; I'm not God.

I reall hope we don't change the way we play. We tend to do better against more open teams and that will suit nicely in the Premier League. Sitting back is going to be asking for trouble. Having said that, we have pace in our team to counter if we do it the right way. We'll need some additions for sure. Another keeper regardless of whether Kasper stays or goes, a left back, an experienced center mid, another center half. Maybe even another right back and striker too.

Matty Fryatt not so long ago. Btw; I'm not God.

Evidently, otherwise you would have told us how long ago it was. :icon_wink

You are definitely my favourite poster from Bergen though so that's close enough!

Last edited:
Evidently, otherwise you would have told us how long ago it was. :icon_wink

You are definitely my favourite poster from Bergen though so that's close enough!
Now THAT'S a hard contest! Even better to win that than Avatar of the Year in the TB Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00
8Leeds Utd00