Premier League transfer plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember a fair few young players who weren't good enough for the PL being the mainstays of MON's side, can't people imaging our current group of 'not good enoughs' stepping up?

I'm sure several of them will. But not all of them will and we need more players anyway. Look at Cardiff, Palace and Hull with a majority of their first choice teams now being newly recruited since being in the Premier League. This is the norm. I'm sure if you asked our better players, they'd welcome quality additions. In fact, one or two might shit themselves at the thought of us winging it without any significant additions.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Schmeichel didn't have a number of questions about our strengthening the squad as part of his decision on whether to stay or go. And who could blame him?

This is quite an interesting thread. Some good points being made too.

Am I on the right forum?

Nigel Pearson still has a little way to go before matching the achievements of Matt Gillies (before I came to Leicester), Jimmy Bloomfield and Martin O'Neill. However, with all due respect to Bloomfield and O'Neill I trust Nigel's judgement more than any Leicester manager in my time.

As for who Nigel should buy I had never heard of Knockaert, Marcion or Mahrez before they came. There is a story (probably apocryphal) about Matt Busby wanting to spend a great deal of money (about £30,000) on a centre forward called Tommy Taylor. The chairman of Man U is supposed to have said "Mr Busby has asked our advice and my advice is he should do what he bloody well likes." That within financial limits should be the attitude toward Nigel.

In over 40 years as a supporter I cannot remember a time when the club was so professional. No doubt Vichai, Top and Susan Whelan deserve some of the credit - who would want Milan or Lee Hoos back? However, the real accolades must go to the triumvirate of Pearson, Shakespeare and Walsh Sr.

Last edited:
That's a little unfair. Last time we went up, we were totally skint. We'd just come out of administration and owed half the planet money. Micky Adams may have been flawed in some respects, but with no money and chaos all around, he made a pretty good attempt at keeping us up.

I actually enjoyed that season. We had a pretty shit squad and looked doomed from the start. We gave it a good go and could've stayed up if we hadn't ****ed every game up in the last 10 minutes.

The romantic in me wants to see the current squad show them how it's done but inevitably, some of them won't be good enough and we will have to bring in quality additions. I hope the likes of Konchesky, Dyer, Morgan and Nugent can prove me wrong.

Not even promoted yet, and already the players who have given us the most outstanding season we have seen in donkey's years is being trashed and dismissed, in favour of some fantasy football team of 6/7/8 new players costing £30 million plus

It's tragic

spot on, it's whacko.

Over both spells here I can't think of a single player Nigel paid money for who wasn't worth it. There's been a few duds as freebies and loanees, sure, but I honestly can't recall Pearson ever wasting a single penny in the transfer market. Someone is bound to give an example and prove me wrong now.

I think those reports of him saying they were looking at that player Cardiff paid £8mil for and Nigel said we wouldn't have paid over £500k for him summed it up.

As David said I honestly have never trusted a Leicester manager more with regards to how he'd spend money .

Last edited:
That Brian Little side might have been the worst side ever promoted out of the league.

At least on paper....utterly horrendous.

Over both spells here I can't think of a single player Nigel paid money for who wasn't worth it.

In his second spell with us, he's spent transfer fees on nine players. I'd currently consider two of them to be duds - Ben Marshall and Chris Wood. I don't know if we made our money back on Marshall or not and despite some ability, Chris Wood has so far been a disappointment overall. The signings of Mahrez, Knockaert, James, De Laet, Vardy, Morgan and Drinkwater have all been good ones.

In his first spell with us, it could be argued that he didn't spend well on any player. He bought only Tunchev and Adams in the first season. Neither of which can be considered value for money for different reasons (injury prone and useless). He then spent quite a bit on Wellens and Gallagher in year two who both contributed for a while before becoming financial millstones for the club. Both of these could be argued either way.

In terms of freebies and loans, there have been a pretty even balance of stinkers and successes.

I agree his signings in his second stint have by and large been exceptional value for money.

I would only expect probably two signings. I think many more than this sends the wrong message to a group of players who as Homer has said - have been superb and consistent throughout the entire season.

An additional striker and a midfielder. Perhaps a back-up goalie. Other than that let's see how this lot cope.

Outside of the top six in the premier league we current could match any team in my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree his signings in his second stint have by and large been exceptional value for money.

I would only expect probably two signings. I think many more than this sends the wrong message to a group of players who as Homer has said - have been superb and consistent throughout the entire season.

An additional striker and a midfielder. Perhaps a back-up goalie. Other than that let's see how this lot cope.

Outside of the top six in the premier league we current could match any team in my opinion.

Given the amount of players that will almost certainly leave, as well as the fact we have a relatively small squad already in comparison to PL clubs, I can confidently say that if we only sign 2 players we are ****ed.

Unless they're Bale and Ronaldo.

And even then....

In his second spell with us, he's spent transfer fees on nine players. I'd currently consider two of them to be duds - Ben Marshall and Chris Wood. I don't know if we made our money back on Marshall or not and despite some ability, Chris Wood has so far been a disappointment overall. The signings of Mahrez, Knockaert, James, De Laet, Vardy, Morgan and Drinkwater have all been good ones.

In his first spell with us, it could be argued that he didn't spend well on any player. He bought only Tunchev and Adams in the first season. Neither of which can be considered value for money for different reasons (injury prone and useless). He then spent quite a bit on Wellens and Gallagher in year two who both contributed for a while before becoming financial millstones for the club. Both of these could be argued either way.

In terms of freebies and loans, there have been a pretty even balance of stinkers and successes.

To be fair I doubt Pearson would've put Wellens and Gallagher on big wages.

And he spent money on more than 4 players in his first spell. He also spent money on Hobbs, Morrison and Berner. All of which were key players in his first spell and definite value for money value for money.

There's a couple ways of doing things really. You have Villa who have a squad which is young, fairly competent but not superb to watch. There's equal scope every season for their players to develop into a very good side or end up in a relegation battle. Then you take the example of Hull who signed up loanees who were quality the season previous and then added four Premiership experienced players. However, there was no keeping the players who achieved promotion for them. Hobbs and Evans, two of their better players last season are now elsewhere.

It is worth noting how every lower half Premier League club gambled their new TV money on strikers and how dependent it has been on their success. The strikers who've delivered have gave their clubs decent seasons, those who haven't delivered have had poor seasons.

Norwich = Van Wolfswinkel/Hooper
Swansea = Bony
Cardiff= Cornelius
West Brom = Anchiebe
Fulham = Bent
Sunderland = Altidore
Hull = Sagbo, Jelavic & Long

Shows how important having a top striker is. Can't wait to see Pearson and Walsh's work. Very exciting.

To be fair I doubt Pearson would've put Wellens and Gallagher on big wages.

And he spent money on more than 4 players in his first spell. He also spent money on Hobbs, Morrison and Berner. All of which were key players in his first spell and definite value for money value for money.
I think Berner belongs in the freebies category, given that he was unattached before he came here.

Personally I think we'll go for about 4/5 players, but the majority of those will be players of first team quality rather than backups.

I wouldn't want to see us ditch the team that's done so well for us this season either, but the likes of GTF, Hammond and Phillips, who have all been bit part players this season (not to underestimate what they've brought to the table, their contribution has been vital at times) will likely be replaced and improved on.

We haven't got that many options in defence and will need more, so will surely add players there.

Up front, I think we need 1 or 2 new strikers - it's important to have options in the Prem and we need to add here.

Think we'll also want an additional central midfielder to give us more options if we do go for a 4-5-1.

I can see us spending quite a bit of money, but hopefully not gambling too much at the same time - it seems our spending has been restricted more this season due to FFP, so with the massive money coming in for getting to the Premier League then our owners have the opportunity to make more use of their financial muscle.

I don't know who we should sign - as DG said, many of Pearson's best signings have been players we'd never heard of - but I do suspect Nigel to stick with a similar transfer policy, finding players he thinks have the right character to work for the team, which is absolutely the way to go. I think Fulham are in trouble this season because they have too many 'big time charlies' who won't fight against relegation. (On that note, maybe Scott Parker if they go down?) So I don't know who we'll go for, but I can't wait to see Nigel and his team given the chance.

Wellens and Gallagher only became financial burdens on the club when Sven gave them new contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669