Premier League transfer plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the one Ted!

A 15 game ban!

It was really, really bad wasn't it? Up there with Massing on Caniggia and Schumacher on Battiston in terms of classic awaful challenges.

It's not long like this forum to turn a serious thread about next season into chat about something that happened 10 years ago.......

I'm with you there Homey. A fair bit of our team is reasonably young and do seem to be improving as time goes on. Why that can't continue next season?

I seem to remember a fair few young players who weren't good enough for the PL being the mainstays of MON's side, can't people imaging our current group of 'not good enoughs' stepping up?

Last edited:
We'll need to increase the squad size a touch and replace the likes of GTF and Phillips. I don't see wholesale changes or huge numbers of players coming in or being required though TBH.

Not even promoted yet, and already the players who have given us the most outstanding season we have seen in donkey's years is being trashed and dismissed, in favour of some fantasy football team of 6/7/8 new players costing £30 million plus

It's tragic

Well said. A sensible comment without any of the adolescent language you usually include. Homer, this has to be your best post ever.

Anybody remember that Doncaster players tackle on Fryatt which broke his jaw? I can still hear the crack that echoed around the KP.

I do not normally condone violence but I still remember the cheers that rang out around the stadium when Brian Deane was red-carded after he decked Denis W*se when we played Millwall.

I don't think we should tear up our transfer policy of Pearson's recent times: quality young players and a few supporting proven quality players. You can't just rebuild the team for the new league and lose what you had, but you do need to be honest about how to approach it. we need 8 players in my opinion and 2 or 3 moved on to keep the squad below 30 odd
A goalie to push Schmeichel
We'll need 2 expensive defenders with a bit more pace a left back and a centre back. They might not replace anyone straight away, but will push them to improve.
We'll need 3 midfielders to provide competition for places: 2 centres (we might need to play 3 in midfield on occasion) and a winger.
We'll need 2 strikers on the bench and to push Nugent, Vardy and Wood (who i expect to step up next year)

Total spend circa £30m

I'd like to see us look at players like Van Dijk at Celtic, Paterson and Lascelles at Forest, Austin at QPR, Snodgrass at Norwich to up our overall quality and some 'unknowns' of the like we've bought in after research in France. I don't want journeyman 7 goal a season strikers who are at the end of their career who will lumber us with wages when/if we go down or the barton's etc of this world.

I don't think we should tear up our transfer policy of Pearson's recent times: quality young players and a few supporting proven quality players. You can't just rebuild the team for the new league and lose what you had, but you do need to be honest about how to approach it. we need 8 players in my opinion and 2 or 3 moved on to keep the squad below 30 odd
A goalie to push Schmeichel
We'll need 2 expensive defenders with a bit more pace a left back and a centre back. They might not replace anyone straight away, but will push them to improve.
We'll need 3 midfielders to provide competition for places: 2 centres (we might need to play 3 in midfield on occasion) and a winger.
We'll need 2 strikers on the bench and to push Nugent, Vardy and Wood (who i expect to step up next year)

Total spend circa £30m

I'd like to see us look at players like Van Dijk at Celtic, Paterson and Lascelles at Forest, Austin at QPR, Snodgrass at Norwich to up our overall quality and some 'unknowns' of the like we've bought in after research in France. I don't want journeyman 7 goal a season strikers who are at the end of their career who will lumber us with wages when/if we go down or the barton's etc of this world.
If we were to be getting eight in and paying that sort of money, most would be expecting to be starting games. If they can't get that guarantee they won't sign. You then end up hacking off the players who got us up in the first place. Eight is far too many IMO.

As regards the bigger the squad the better, isn't there a 25 man squad restriction in the Premier?

I certainly wouldn't advocate loads of players for the sake of it. I was talking about adding quality. Once we've lost those that are out of contract this summer and unlikely to stay, we're going to need at least 8 in order to get a squad together anyway.

Remember, we're losing Whitbread, Waghorn, St. Ledger, Phillips, Taylor-Fletcher, Danns and Gallagher (with any luck). We're also far from certain that Schmeichel, Nugent, Wasilewski and Dyer will be here, not considering the possibility that we may sell a contracted player.

Not even promoted yet, and already the players who have given us the most outstanding season we have seen in donkey's years is being trashed and dismissed, in favour of some fantasy football team of 6/7/8 new players costing £30 million plus

It's tragic

You're nothing if not a fair weather sort homer. That is something I respect about you. You will sing a player/team/managers praises one week and castigate them the next. I usually agree with you and you do it with good evidence.

So, with that in mind, were we to hold steady all summer with minimal additions and then begin badly, I venture that you'd be one of the first aboard the 'we fecked that right up' train. I'm simply advocating a policy of retaining these great players of ours and adding to their number with a passion.

Do we not have a genius in Steve Walsh who found the likes of Drogba and Essien? Has he not been desperate to flex some financial muscle and bring in talent from far and wide? Why on earth should we prevent this from happening? We're not in fantasy football land like under Sven. We have an opportunity to build something and I think we should move forward hungrily.

Last time we went up we signed...

Steve Howey - Manchester City, 5 June, undisclosed
Riccardo Scimeca - Nottingham Forest, 24 June, free
Paul Brooker - Brighton and Hove Albion, 24 June, free
Danny Coyne - Grimsby Town, 3 July, free
Keith Gillespie - Blackburn Rovers, 8 July, free
Lilian Nalis - Chievo, 11 July, free
Les Ferdinand - West Ham United, 11 July, free
Ben Thatcher - Tottenham Hotspur, 17 July, £300,000
Craig Hignett - Blackburn Rovers, 18 July, free
Steve Guppy - Celtic, 13 January, free
Lee Morris - Derby County, 2 February, nominal fee
Nicolas Priet - Lyon, free

Marcus Bent - Ipswich Town, 1 September, season-long loan[25]
Nikos Dabizas - Newcastle United, 1 January, six-month loan[26]
Steffen Freund - Kaiserlautern, 30 January, season-long loan[27]

No wonder we went down.

That's a little unfair. Last time we went up, we were totally skint. We'd just come out of administration and owed half the planet money. Micky Adams may have been flawed in some respects, but with no money and chaos all around, he made a pretty good attempt at keeping us up.

Nobody has ever taken a City team up in similar circumstances to those we face this time around. We go up backed with loads of money, a team of mainly young players with potential and a very astute recruitment man in Steve Walsh. I want to see us make a splash this time.

Last edited:
That's a little unfair. Last time we went up, we were totally skint. We'd just come out of administration and owed half the planet money. Micky Adams may have been flawed in some respects, but with no money and chaos all around, he made a pretty good attempt at keeping us up.
Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670