Preston North End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home record: W1, D1, L3 - lost on each of their last three visits
Away record: W0, D2, L2

Won 1-0 at Deepdale..courtesy of Nils Eric.

With this in mind is the 'oh so casual' Andy King going to be a weak link tomorrow. Someone mentioned possibly Berner in the middle and i'd be inclined to go with that. We need to win the ball first and formost and then get it out to the wide me.

Andy King does not = winning the ball.

Inclined to disagree on evidence of his fleeting performances this season.

Did I imagine the Nils-Eric goal to give us a 1-o away victory then? :icon_bigg

Mea culpa.

The away record is W1, D3, L1. We haven't been beaten in the league at Deepdale since November 2002.

I'll let you off because I've remembered that was the day I met you and several others on here for the first time. You are obviously trying to banish it from your memory. :081:

So I've known you over two years?

It seems much longer.

Yes against Peterborough and Watford. It's hardly Roy Keane stuff but he's putting a foot where required and then keeps the ball moving by knocking it around from deep as opposed to Brown, Hobbs or Neilson launching a hoof. For me, he ain't finished article and he's gotta improve. He's ideal as a squad player, tomorrow's an opportunity to prove himself.

If King plays tomorrow, he will have a good game.
put Dany N'g on Callum,

A hard fought 3 - 1 ( 2 -1 until last 5 minutes) City win.

Howard to get off the mark, Fryatt will infuriate by missing a few sitters before getting a goal, then King to give us breathing space in the 86th minute.

If King plays tomorrow, he will have a good game.

A good game for Andy King is when you actually know at the end of it that he has been on the pitch.

I suppose there is a first time for everything.

A good game for Andy King is when you actually know at the end of it that he has been on the pitch.

I suppose there is a first time for everything.

AK is certainly turning into the marmite player.

Beginning of this season, it did look like he was out of his depth, but recent sub appearances suggest he has learnt.

Only one way of finding out.:102:

If he can perform against the mighty Preston, then he can perform against anyone in this division.:icon_lol:

Those goals never happened in the minds of Ak's detractors - they think of them more as own goals by the opposition I guess.:icon_wink

Or maybe they just realise that a central midfielder needs to be able to tackle, pass, create opportunities, know when to go forward and no when to drop back, rather then go missing for LARGE parts of the game and getting through by popping up and scoring the odd goal.

A striker can get by on just scoring goals and nothing else, the wingers might even be able to get away with it, but the two central midfielders are the heartbeat of the team. They need to be constantly in the game and if they arent you will always struggle against good oposition.

Last edited:
Or maybe they just realise that a central midfielder needs to be able to tackle, pass, create opportunities, know when to go forward and no when to drop back, rather then go missing for LARGE parts of the game and getting through by popping up and scoring the odd goal.

A striker can get by on just scoring goals and nothing else, the wingers might even be able to get away with it, but the two central midfielders are the heartbeat of the team. They need to be constantly in the game and if they arent you will always struggle against good oposition.

The odd goal you say - there were nine league goals last season, the majority of them quite important if memory serves correct. I note your point about strikers - Howard ( who I rate by the way ) only scored four more than King last season. King was an integral part of our success last season, he's young and still learning. I can't believe the amount of venom he manages to generate - I'm just surprised looking back on Leicester players in the past who have copped stick that he isn't black. At least the boo boys are becoming more multicultural these days.

Quite right. AK is definately talented but he plays like a poor mans Michael Carrick. He saunters around and when we are in possession he can be good with the ball. However in football you are not always in possession and need to graft and work to get and use the ball. We were too strong for most opponents last year so he diodn't need to graft that much - this year is entirely different.

I hope the lad proves me wrong as i can defo see his potential.

The odd goal you say - there were nine league goals last season, the majority of them quite important if memory serves correct. I note your point about strikers - Howard ( who I rate by the way ) only scored four more than King last season. King was an integral part of our success last season, he's young and still learning. I can't believe the amount of venom he manages to generate - I'm just surprised looking back on Leicester players in the past who have copped stick that he isn't black. At least the boo boys are becoming more multicultural these days.

Howard however brought a lot more to the team then just goals...unlike King. Dont get me wrong I like King and he COULD be a good player, but he needs to add so much more to his game if he is to make it at Championship level and above. Harping on about him scoring 9 goals last season means nothing, Fryatt scored 20+ and people still questioned whether he could make the step up.

No point going over old ground, if he does start tomorrow I hope he steps on and proves me wrong.

As for your final comment it is totally irrelevant to the conversation and personally I find it moronic.

For the first time this season I am worried about this game. We have a SHIT record against Preston, especially at home.

If Wellens is out I'd go for this line-up:

Weale

Nielsen Hobbs Tunchev McGivern

Oakley King Berner

N'Guessan Fryatt Gallagher

If Wellens is fit I'd stick him in for King.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669