Protests in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have anything to offer any of the time, largely because everything they offer is vacuous bollocks designed to inflame and make themselves relevant. If they could get more attention spouting radical left-wing nonsense they would in a heartbeat.

They would get more attention spouting left-wing bullshit. They don't do it because it's even more disgusting than the radical right wing stuff.

Yeah, she's proper worried about it.

This definitely has nothing to do with her hatred of anything non-white and a desire to oppress and supress the valid protests.

There's a big difference in popping out to a garden centre to pick up possibly a whole host of things such as pet food etc which is essentially equivalent to going to the supermarket...And hundreds of thousands of people shoulder to shoulder protesting for hours and hours on end.

I doubt the garden store even had ten people in nevermind hundreds of thousands literally inches away from one another.

Again another example of someone debating something with an example of little actual relevance.

How can you be so imbecilic to compare the two?

There's a big difference in popping out to a garden centre to pick up possibly a whole host of things such as pet food etc which is essentially equivalent to going to the supermarket...And hundreds of thousands of people shoulder to shoulder protesting for hours and hours on end.

I doubt the garden store even had ten people in nevermind hundreds of thousands literally inches away from one another.

Again another example of someone debating something with an example of little actual relevance.

How can you be so imbecilic to compare the two?
Okay Katie

Trump is perhaps the worst and most unpleasant American President. However, those people who claim Trump us a fascist should not use words they do not understand. The last serious American fascist was Charles Lindbergh.

Popilius is a serious man and would never fall into the misuse of the word fascist. However, I must comment on his post

Perfect. History tells us that rioting and protesting, as horrible as I can be at times, can and often does work to change society for the better.

The last time rioting was successful in Britain was 1831-32.
The ignorant might mention the poll tax riots. However, what ended the poll tax was the Conservative loss Eastbourne by-election of 1990. A lot of Conservative MPs descended on Eastbourne and came away convinced that if the Conservatives did not get rid of the poll tax they would lose the next election.
A better argument is the suffragettes who claimed their actions got women the vote. In fact women got the vote because their main opponent HH Asquith was no longer Prime Minister and Bonar Law believed women would tend to vote Conservative.

Blue Maniac is so often led astray by political correctness that it is strange to see him refer to a woman as a ****. I always enjoy BMs posts as they remind me of Lord Melbourne (Prime Minister 1835-41) To misquote Melbourne "I wish I was as certain of anything as Blue Maniac is of everything."

To Fox Frank I would recommend Peter Hennessey or Ve rnon Bogdavour. I have never thought of turning to Ian Marshall for political wisdom

The ignorant might mention the poll tax riots. However, what ended the poll tax was the Conservative loss Eastbourne by-election of 1990. A lot of Conservative MPs descended on Eastbourne and came away convinced that if the Conservatives did not get rid of the poll tax they would lose the next election.

One can only speculate on what swayed public opinion during those elections....if only we knew what may have caused a shift in the views of the electorate...

One can only speculate on what swayed public opinion during those elections....if only we knew what may have caused a shift in the views of the electorate...

Or put the thought into the minds of the bigoted male politicians of giving women the vote

The ignorant might think it all just happened by chance...

Are you two suggesting that these things didn’t happen in a magic bubble, independent of and unaffected by adjacent events?

The last time rioting was successful in Britain was 1831-32.
I don’t know how you are quantifying ‘success’ in such a sentence but not only is it nonsense it is also completely unprovable in any way. Oh, and for good measure, you missed out the word ‘protesting‘ from what I said as well. Perhaps you think that’s a waste of time too, contrary to the two examples you gave which show that it is clearly effective?

Just so we are clear, do you think protesting and rioting have no effect at all, anywhere or do you think it is a uniquely British immunity?

I don’t know how you are quantifying ‘success’ in such a sentence but not only is it nonsense it is also completely unprovable in any way. Oh, and for good measure, you missed out the word ‘protesting‘ from what I said as well. Perhaps you think that’s a waste of time too, contrary to the two examples you gave which show that it is clearly effective?

Just so we are clear, do you think protesting and rioting have no effect at all, anywhere or do you think it is a uniquely British immunity?

I count 1831-32 as a success. The failure of the House of Lords to pass the 1831 Reform Bill led to a wave of violence that included burning down Nottingham Castle. There was a real fear among the Establishment of a British Revolution. This caused enough Lords to change their minds and pass the 1832 Reform Bill. I regard that as success.
You are right to point out that there are other countries. I would distinguish between protesting and rioting.
In 1848 Austria (then the second most important power on the continent ) had massive protests which caused the monarchy to leave Vienna. When the protests became riots they lost the support of the middle classes and failed.
In the same year of 1848 France had a revolution. The result was a reaction which led to Louis Napoleon (nephew of the great Napoleon) coming to power as head of a right-wing pro Catholic government.
In 1968 there were riots in American campuses. That was the year that Richard Nixon won the election claiming to speak for the silent majority.
You may have a point with Eastern Europe in 1989 but I am not qualified to comment on that/

You may have a point with Eastern Europe in 1989 but I am not qualified to comment on that/
My point is that, with all due respect, you like the rest of us, aren’t really qualified to judge whether or not the protests and riots since in this country since 1831 have helped to serve a purpose for the greater good or not. I and many others would argue vehmently that they most certainly have and continue to do so. Little victories such as the removal of statues celebrating vile people being removed are, in essence, a success of protesting which in the eyes of the law, was public disorder.

There's a lot of people on here far more intelligent than me whom are getting deep into history & politics which I don't know about but i find it interesting reading about, this is my take with a few more words than my last post.
I have friends & work colleagues that are black but I don't see them as black but friends & work colleagues, I have an Asian neighbour that is an accountant but is poorly at the moment so I maintain his garden for him & knock on his door every few days to see if he's OK & needs anything, I don't see him as Asian but as a neighbour that needs my help.
I watch the news but don't see a protest but angry young people looking for trouble come what may, I'm sure it started out as a protest about peace brutality in America but has morphed into something else.
I don't understand what they expect to achieve? Equality in life? It shouldn't be about black, white, female, gay but a human best suited to the job/position that is available.
The common fact among us all is LCFC, race, religion, sex has never come into it.

Thanks for reading & I apologise if it went off topic or if I bored you or both!

I watch the news but don't see a protest but angry young people looking for trouble
Perhaps you should ask yourself why they may be so angry. I am not suggesting that there aren’t some who are there purely for the thrill of thuggery but many of these protesters feel genuinely angry and disenfranchised right now and I can’t say that I blame them.

Why do we still pay attention to America? Their chaos isn't relevant to us. It's an imploding country being strangled by its own constitution. And it's tedious. Really tedious.

We have racism too but it isn't the same and copying their outrage isn't helpful. Our racism is much more subtle and diverse. Our country is much more subtle and diverse.

My wife tonight said that she didn't want to watch the news. She'd seen some footage of Floyd's funeral this morning and, for some reason, all it had made her think about all day was an occasion when she'd been called a big nosed Paki. And it had made her sad and she said she could do without that.

Haven't we got enough on our plates already without importing more things to be angry about?
Earlier today, Little Britain got taken off TV. I never liked the programme but for ****s sake people, get a grip. Tonight Ant and Dec are expressing deep sorrow at blacking up one time. It's meaningless self-indulgent nonsense.

What next? Just on comedy shows I'm sure a ban on Fawlty Towers is coming soon. A great piece of comedic work with racism throughout. Only Fools and Horses had plenty too. Are we so weak now that we can't cope with separating the past from the present so we have to erase it all?

These morons are picking on easy targets. How about challenging the Quran which justifies slavery throughout? Or the several black Muslim countries where today slavery is legal and practised? No? What a surprise. That would actually require a real opinion.

No, let's pull down the odd statue and express our faux outrage at the latest celebrity or old show. Let's take the fecking knee with a look of deep sincerity. Let's apologise for something we had nothing to do with two hundred years ago.

200+ more people died in the UK today needlessly. It's not reported very much any more though. I had to seek out that number. Because we seem to have moved onto the rights and wrongs of everybody that has ever said or done anything.

If that's the best thing people in this country can think to do with their outrage, they're fecking morons.

...Let's apologise for something we had nothing to do with two hundred years ago...

Not quite true, although the slave trade was abolished years before and the Royal Navy would often intercept slave ships, there were still slaves in the British colonies, particularly the West Indies until 1833/34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363