Protests in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we still pay attention to America? Their chaos isn't relevant to us. It's an imploding country being strangled by its own constitution. And it's tedious. Really tedious.

We have racism too but it isn't the same and copying their outrage isn't helpful. Our racism is much more subtle and diverse. Our country is much more subtle and diverse.

My wife tonight said that she didn't want to watch the news. She'd seen some footage of Floyd's funeral this morning and, for some reason, all it had made her think about all day was an occasion when she'd been called a big nosed Paki. And it had made her sad and she said she could do without that.

Haven't we got enough on our plates already without importing more things to be angry about?
Earlier today, Little Britain got taken off TV. I never liked the programme but for ****s sake people, get a grip. Tonight Ant and Dec are expressing deep sorrow at blacking up one time. It's meaningless self-indulgent nonsense.

What next? Just on comedy shows I'm sure a ban on Fawlty Towers is coming soon. A great piece of comedic work with racism throughout. Only Fools and Horses had plenty too. Are we so weak now that we can't cope with separating the past from the present so we have to erase it all?

These morons are picking on easy targets. How about challenging the Quran which justifies slavery throughout? Or the several black Muslim countries where today slavery is legal and practised? No? What a surprise. That would actually require a real opinion.

No, let's pull down the odd statue and express our faux outrage at the latest celebrity or old show. Let's take the fecking knee with a look of deep sincerity. Let's apologise for something we had nothing to do with two hundred years ago.

200+ more people died in the UK today needlessly. It's not reported very much any more though. I had to seek out that number. Because we seem to have moved onto the rights and wrongs of everybody that has ever said or done anything.

If that's the best thing people in this country can think to do with their outrage, they're fecking morons.
Brilliant post, it's kind of what I was getting at but you put it so much better.
It's heading in a dangerous direction when you start apologising for events of the past your admitting guilt which opens up another can of worms.

I don't think the American cop was particularly racist but a thug, he would of done just the same if it was a hillbilly or trailer trash but we wouldn't of heard a single thing about that if it had been another white person he killed.

Take a knee is just cringeworthy, let's take a knee for transgenders, sex slaves, the poor, gays, woman, Jews & any other group that wants solidarity, we will have to arrive at the ground 4 hours before kick off to get through it all !!

People get so offended about absolutely everything now & if something isn't offensive now it probably will be in 6 months.

Covid-19 is over we have something else to occupy ourselves with now, so go around your friends & families houses & have a bbq, when you get stopped by the police just tell them black lives matter & all will be OK.

Not quite true, although the slave trade was abolished years before and the Royal Navy would often intercept slave ships, there were still slaves in the British colonies, particularly the West Indies until 1833/34.
Think BN meant nobody alive had anything to do with it, even 1833/34 it's nearly 200 years ago. Who should be punished for it now ?

Why do we still pay attention to America? Their chaos isn't relevant to us. It's an imploding country being strangled by its own constitution. And it's tedious. Really tedious.
You are right, I can't get why people think the USA is anything to do with us, any US President of any political hue deep down does not give a feck about the UK.
Talking about protests, I must have missed those outside the Chinese Embassy protesting about the million muslims being held in re-education ( read concentration ) camps. I suppose there is one this week?

New rule for me, football only on here.

Almost with you there but I guess the clue is in the thread subject. To be fair though, the level of understanding shown in this thread is above my pay grade. I know sod all about anything so tend to keep schtum on subjects where it'll otherwise only demonstrate my ignorance.

In general terms though, as a white het male, I tend not to see the privileges afforded me and that can lead me, in all honesty, to be unintentionally dismissive sometimes. I do have to remind myself that just because I don't see something that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Whilst I can't condone putting through a shopkeeper's window, less looting their store, I can't honestly say that I feel the anger/motivation is unjustified.

You are right, I can't get why people think the USA is anything to do with us, any US President of any political hue deep down does not give a feck about the UK.
Uh-huh, no, that’s true. Other than the majority of our language, extensive everyday cultural exchange, centuries of history and billions in trade and industry, what exactly is America’s connection to us?
Talking about protests, I must have missed those outside the Chinese Embassy protesting about the million muslims being held in re-education ( read concentration ) camps. I suppose there is one this week?
Whataboutery.

One million v one - er, OK then.
No. A million and one v two corrupt, imperialistic, authoritarian regimes that just happen to also have two of the largest economies in the world and oh look, two gigantic military forces as well. Now, what could it be stopping the international community from speaking out?

Since we’re here, where’s your similar outrage about the Rohingya? Slavery in west Africa and the Middle East? The Saudis ripping Yemen to shreds while everyone stands around watching? No?

Brilliant post, it's kind of what I was getting at but you put it so much better.
It's heading in a dangerous direction when you start apologising for events of the past your admitting guilt which opens up another can of worms.

You're right, of course. Holding people accountable for history crimes is always a bad idea. I'd probably give Saville his knighthood back if he were alive, or let Weinstein go, or Cosby.

I don't think the American cop was particularly racist but a thug, he would of done just the same if it was a hillbilly or trailer trash but we wouldn't of heard a single thing about that if it had been another white person he killed.

You're getting annoyed by something that didn't happen and that you have absolutely no idea about, because it didn't happen. He killed a black guy. He had 18 previous complaints of abuse, it would be very interesting to see what for.

Take a knee is just cringeworthy, let's take a knee for transgenders, sex slaves, the poor, gays, woman, Jews & any other group that wants solidarity, we will have to arrive at the ground 4 hours before kick off to get through it all !!

And here with have the obligatory intolerance. Nothing needs to be said about this, it says it all for you.

The rest is just more speculative bollocks based on nothing more than your own outrage.

What I find fascinating about all of this, in real life and on here, is the amount of outrage about things that don't affect the people outraged.

A statue being removed that celebrates a massive slave-trader, doesn't affect a single white person in this country unless they are directly related to him. It not being there won't impact on your life. It will, however, stop vast swathes of people feeling ignored and oppressed by its celebration. And yet people moan about its removal.

PoC protesting for equality, taking the knee or speaking up, doesn't affect you at all. In any way. Yet people get annoyed by it.

Trans or other LGBTQ protesting for equality, or the rights not to be made the butt of every joke on shows like Little Britain, doesn't affect you beyond a show being removed. It won't make your life any worse, but it might improve theirs just a fraction.

Some people need to have a bloody hard look at themselves and really question why these things annoy them. When they realise that it's because they don't like the idea of their society changing in case things aren't quite the same for them, it might be an eye-opener.

What I find fascinating about all of this, in real life and on here, is the amount of outrage about things that don't affect the people outraged.

A statue being removed that celebrates a massive slave-trader, doesn't affect a single white person in this country unless they are directly related to him. It not being there won't impact on your life. It will, however, stop vast swathes of people feeling ignored and oppressed by its celebration. And yet people moan about its removal.
Agreed.

PoC protesting for equality, taking the knee or speaking up, doesn't affect you at all. In any way. Yet people get annoyed by it.
It does when the media use it to pedal a message in THIS COUNTRY that isn't a mirror of America. It is utterly cringeworthy, that the media whip this up, magnify it and then are there filming scenes where (far right) groups, loot, steal, vandalise and attack those very same people who are NOT racist.

Trans or other LGBTQ protesting for equality, or the rights not to be made the butt of every joke on shows like Little Britain, doesn't affect you beyond a show being removed. It won't make your life any worse, but it might improve theirs just a fraction. .
I don't give a shit who sleeps with who, I object to it being celebrated and rammed down our throats at every turn in order to (normalise) it. IT IS NORMAL, but I don't want or need to celebrate it. I don't need a grey rainbow painted outside my house because I only sleep with women, why do other ''groups'' feel the need for this to be so OVERT?[/QUOTE]

Some people need to have a bloody hard look at themselves and really question why these things annoy them. When they realise that it's because they don't like the idea of their society changing in case things aren't quite the same for them, it might be an eye-opener.
In some cases you are probably right, but in all, really?

I hear you, but in some ways I don’t want to use it.

Wait - Can you even see this?
Yeah, I’ve been reluctant to use it, unlike the block button when I still used Facebook. But when someone only ever pops up every now and then to post something pointless, stupid or racist, it’s really easy.

I don't give a shit whoo sleeps with who, i object tp it being celebrated and rammed down our throats at every turn in order to (normalise), it. IT IS NORMAL, but i don't wnat or need to celebrate it. I don't need a grey rainbow painted outside my hgouse because i only sleep with women, why do other groups feel the need for this to be so OVERT?
no stop this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670