Random News Article Thread

Eric Bristow's Twitter feed is one of the most bizarre things I've read in recent weeks. And there have been some of those

Ha. Brilliant. Social media continues to take letting people know that you are a **** to a whole new level.

as do football forums.

Eric Bristow's Twitter feed is one of the most bizarre things I've read in recent weeks. And there have been some of those

I don't agree with Bristow at all but I think I have some sympathy with this view. The moral outrage every time someone speaks out from a different type of life experience is harming us as a society and fosters the likes of UKIP and Trump.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/defence-eric-bristow/

I don't agree with Bristow at all but I think I have some sympathy with this view. The moral outrage every time someone speaks out from a different type of life experience is harming us as a society and fosters the likes of UKIP and Trump.

True.

As a community we have to be able to air our views for discussion and education, if not we hide those views, they cannot be diluted and they fester. In the end society suffers

**** Eric Bristow and his victim-blaming bullshit. **** anyone defending him after what he said. Especially **** the author of that article for crying about the fact that people can't say hateful shit any more without being called out for it. Oh, boo ****ing hoo, poor thoughtless arseholes can't even heartlessly point the finger at rape victims these days without causing 'moral outrage' (translation: people telling you your opinion is shit when it's shit).

If your opinion is shit, I'm gonna tell you it's shit.

**** off.

**** Eric Bristow and his victim-blaming bullshit. **** anyone defending him after what he said. Especially **** the author of that article for crying about the fact that people can't say hateful shit any more without being called out for it. Oh, boo ****ing hoo, poor thoughtless arseholes can't even heartlessly point the finger at rape victims these days without causing 'moral outrage' (translation: people telling you your opinion is shit when it's shit).

If your opinion is shit, I'm gonna tell you it's shit.

**** off.

I understand what you're saying of course. But in the scenario where you strongly call out anyone that says anything wrong, what happens?

The person you call out doesn't change their view, the humiliation makes them withdraw and entrench themselves even further. People who view the retribution also hide away from saying wrong things but absolutely continue to believe them.

You don't get anywhere in this world by reacting like you do. The widespread moral outrage against Bristow is entirely counter-productive. You have to engage properly and educate people or you lose them even further into craziness. And there are huge numbers of people we're talking about here. Enough to elect a President or Prime Minister.

Just because you've been fortunate enough to have learned the difference between right and wrong on issues such as this, belittling those that haven't isn't the way forward.

I understand what you're saying of course. But in the scenario where you strongly call out anyone that says anything wrong, what happens?

The person you call out doesn't change their view, the humiliation makes them withdraw and entrench themselves even further. People who view the retribution also hide away from saying wrong things but absolutely continue to believe them.

You don't get anywhere in this world by reacting like you do. The widespread moral outrage against Bristow is entirely counter-productive. You have to engage properly and educate people or you lose them even further into craziness. And there are huge numbers of people we're talking about here. Enough to elect a President or Prime Minister.

Just because you've been fortunate enough to have learned the difference between right and wrong on issues such as this, belittling those that haven't isn't the way forward.

totally agree.

Of course those calling them out have their right to call them out. Although some of them are just as small minded and blinkered but in a different direction.

The life experience of being a ****?

Bristow is an adult. It can't possibly be people's responsibility to educate him on these very basic issues.

Last edited:

Surely "calling them out" is challenging their views? It needn't be shouting from the rooftops, it can be by reasoned argument, exactly as you're suggesting.

The life experience of being a ****?

Bristow is an adult. It can't possibly be people's responsibility to educate him on these very basic issues.

Adult's need educating as much as kids. Do you think people know everything they need to once they're 18?

Adult's need educating as much as kids. Do you think people know everything they need to once they're 18?
Do you think adults can behave like children without facing consequences?

Bristow, a 59 year old man, stated - in homophobic language - that the victims of sexual abuse were 'wimps'. In this case, moral outrage is not symptom of a failed system but of one that (if only occasionally) works.

Surely "calling them out" is challenging their views? It needn't be shouting from the rooftops, it can be by reasoned argument, exactly as you're suggesting.

Yes, absolutely agree. They haven't challenged his view though, have they? They've called him a string of expletives and dismissed him as a neanderthal.

Do you think adults can behave like children without facing consequences?

Bristow wasn't acting like a child. He was behaving like an ill educated man with no understanding of the realities of being an abuse victim. The people that jumped all over his comments calling him every name possible are the childish ones.

Reactions: FIF

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00
9Fulham00