Random News Article Thread

That’s one hell of a headline, although it’s ambiguous as to whether he’s an expert in the big reptiles or the fashionably unfashionable footwear. Standards continue to slip at the beeb.
View attachment 18074
I've just spent probably too much time trying to figure out exactly how you'd go about sexually abusing a frog. I've got nothing.

Am I the only one who thinks people should get some perspective? Yes, whoever did this is a bellend of the highest order, but it's a 300 year old sycamore not the Notre Dame cathedral!

Am I the only one who thinks people should get some perspective? Yes, whoever did this is a bellend of the highest order, but it's a 300 year old sycamore not the Notre Dame cathedral!
I was just about to say it’s like when Notre Dame caught fire a few years ago.

It’s sad that a very beautiful thing that many people enjoy has been ruined. It’s obviously the work of a troubled and/or vindictively nasty teenage kid…. But come on. It’s a tree. They can plant another one. I’m sure a huge amount of money and effort will be spent on replacing it with another mature tree.

To what extent can a 16 year old be punished for such an act of vandalism?

I’m curious because I’m sure there will be a psychological element to the follow up, given that the level of effort and premeditation is pretty psychopathic.

It's not just a tree though.
It's a special tree that has played a part in thousands of people's lives. Much more important to a lot of people than a cathedral will ever be.
One of Mrs Jeff's friend's husband had his ashes scattered under it, as have many other people. People have proposed there. People have tattoos of it.

Cutting it down was not just a random act of vandalism. You don't just happen to be carrying a chainsaw a mile from the nearest road and decide to test it out on a random tree. The person who did this planned it in advance and went to a lot of effort to do it, knowing what it would mean to people. ****.

It's not just a tree though.
It's a special tree that has played a part in thousands of people's lives. Much more important to a lot of people than a cathedral will ever be.
One of Mrs Jeff's friend's husband had his ashes scattered under it, as have many other people. People have proposed there. People have tattoos of it.

Cutting it down was not just a random act of vandalism. You don't just happen to be carrying a chainsaw a mile from the nearest road and decide to test it out on a random tree. The person who did this planned it in advance and went to a lot of effort to do it, knowing what it would mean to people. ****.
It's well and good saying that, I'm not defending the person who did this as such, but 300 years is old for a sycamore. This outpouring of mawkish sentiment for a tree that would likely have started shedding heavy branches on to people just seems over the top to me. What would have happened then? Would a dangerous tree not be taken down because people liked a movie this particular one was in?

It's well and good saying that, I'm not defending the person who did this as such, but 300 years is old for a sycamore. This outpouring of mawkish sentiment for a tree that would likely have started shedding heavy branches on to people just seems over the top to me. What would have happened then? Would a dangerous tree not be taken down because people liked a movie this particular one was in?

What makes you think it was dangerous?

And if it's likely to be dangerous, there are other things you can do than just cut it down.

It was already an iconic location before it was used in the film. That's why it was in the film, not the other way round.

What makes you think it was dangerous?

And if it's likely to be dangerous, there are other things you can do than just cut it down.

It was already an iconic location before it was used in the film. That's why it was in the film, not the other way round.
I work on construction projects for which tree coppicing or clearances can be neccessery. Sycamores particuarly are well known for dropping limbs as they get old or if they've been cut back before. You wouldn't be able to put in supports like they have for the Major Oak on a sycamore, so considering the age of the tree this was going to happen soon. Doesn't make what's been done right, but trees die - it's just part of what they do.

I work on construction projects for which tree coppicing or clearances can be neccessery. Sycamores particuarly are well known for dropping limbs as they get old or if they've been cut back before. You wouldn't be able to put in supports like they have for the Major Oak on a sycamore, so considering the age of the tree this was going to happen soon. Doesn't make what's been done right, but trees die - it's just part of what they do.

Nature can be dangerous. People out in the countryside should know the risks from trees, rivers, cliff edges etc.

But if a tree at a popular site is dangerous I don't think anyone would have a problem with appropriate action being taken. Appropriate action might just be a sign warning people that it might not be a good idea to stand near it in windy conditions.

So, in fact his “euthanasia” approach should really be considered almost helpful in the circumstances then?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663