Post Match Reading 3 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how anyone can describe owners who have sacked 2 managers in less than 2 seasons of ownership as 'fairly patient'

It's all about context though surely? I can see why some people might think the sacking of Sven was a little harsh. But do you think they should have persevered with Sousa?

I don't understand how anyone can describe owners who have sacked 2 managers in less than 2 seasons of ownership as 'fairly patient'

It's all about context though surely? I can see why some people might think the sacking of Sven was a little harsh. But do you think they should have persevered with Sousa?

Completely agree. The context has been that, imo, they both needed to go. Neither manager was working and given the nature of Sven's appointment and transfer spending, they made the right decision.

Maybe patient isn't quite the right word, but I'd hardly call them trigger happy.

Don't want you to feel like you're being ganged up on here, but what leads you to believe that the owners are particularly trigger happy?

The only managers they have dismissed are Sousa and Sven. Sousa needed to go, the amount of damage he did to a side that were play-off semi finalists in the previous season was crazy, some of the performances under him were genuinely distressing, Pompey springs to mind... So I think they were right to pull the trigger in that instance.

With Sven, he was given a fair amount of time - he didn't achieve promotion in his first half season after heavy backing and instead of sacking him, the owners backed him heavily once again in bringing in his own players and only sacked him when it was clear that we weren't getting the level of results that they deemed their investment required.

I personally think Pearson will be here for the start of next season and will only be dismissed if it becomes clear that we aren't progressing in our challenge for promotion.

All in all, I think they've been fairly patient considering the amount of money that's been spent.

As I said elsewhere, I don't support a short term policy towards managers. I hope that Nigel Pearson is given a fair crack of the whip but, I think that his mandate, however unrealistic, was promotion this season.

Let us be honest, for whatever reasons, he has not come within a country mile and I would not be surprised to see him go. I have no inside knowledge to support any of this. It is just my feeling from reading between the lines but, it would not be the first time that I have misread a situation if such turns out to be the case.

As I said elsewhere, I don't support a short term policy towards managers. I hope that Nigel Pearson is given a fair crack of the whip but, I think that his mandate, however unrealistic, was promotion this season.

Let us be honest, for whatever reasons, he has not come within a country mile and I would not be surprised to see him go. I have no inside knowledge to support any of this. It is just my feeling from reading between the lines but, it would not be the first time that I have misread a situation if such turns out to be the case.

I Agree, we were within easy reach of the playoffs when Sven was sacked. (It didn't take Pearson long to get us into them) so i'm sure the owners intentions were to make the difference this season. Even if they are Patient and accept that it might not happen this season i think they will be worried by how far short we are. While i personally like Pearson and think he will do well next season, i do fear that unless the team starts showing it's pottential more consistently before the seasons end the owners may look elsewhere.

If they sack an international profile manager, with a record of success when he is just a whisker outside of the playoffs, why would they allow Pearson to continue if he finished the season in a less respectable posistion? While we largely accept that performances are looking better, football is a results buisness, and i expect it will be results that dictates our owners decision.

To Clarify, i want pearson to be here next season, but think he will need to produce some consistent results before the end of the season to maintain the confidence of the owners.

Apparently we approached him in 2002 to take the reigns here - I wish we'd gotten him, I'd much rather be in Everton's current position than ours.

My understanding was that he was considered in 2002 but felt to be unproven and too inexperienced especially as there was a candidate called Peter Taylor who was seen by most people in football as outstanding.

My understanding was that he was considered in 2002 but felt to be unproven and too inexperienced especially as there was a candidate called Peter Taylor who was seen by most people in football as outstanding.

Wasn't Peter Taylor gone by then? Neverthless, hindsight really is a wonderful thing. Since 2002, we've had 11 manager - Everton have had one. We can only dream of stability like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669