Post Match Reading 3 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Moyes has achieved piss all with Everton and yet survived for 10yrs and countless 'Moyes Out' chants & threads on forums.

They may not have won much during Moyes' tenure, but I don't believe anyone could have done a better job at that club under the restrictions he's had to work under. He's managed to keep Everton a strong, competetive side in the Premier League over the last ten years, despite them having what must be one of the smallest budgets in the league. When he took over they were in danger of getting relegated, now they're a Premier League mainstay. Without major investment to get them to the next level, they're never going to be able to challenge sides with the money to bring in real quality players, but they usually manage top half finishes and never really look in danger of relegation.

He has a great eye for a player too, bringing in Fellaini, Baines, Jagielka, Pienaar, Lescott, Howard, Neville, Arteta, Cahill all for relatively low fees and selling some of them on for much more.

Apparently we approached him in 2002 to take the reigns here - I wish we'd gotten him, I'd much rather be in Everton's current position than ours.

Kind of a gloomy outlook.

I assume you enjoyed 2004-08 then? I'll admit, I'm a glory supporter and want us to be challenging at the top level, but without investment this is unlikely.

Which is where we currently are.

Our current position is a massive disappointment, as opposed to an annual expectation.

Better though than the one both Sheffield clubs are currently in.

Yes, but worse than some other teams. :icon_razz

I assume you enjoyed 2004-08 then?

Nope. This period you could blame Peter Taylor's earlier actions, Craig Levein, Elvis Hammond whoever.

I blame it on us spending beyond our means and luckily surviving administration. Had we been relegated to league 1 earlier than we were which nearly happened, we might not have been so lucky to bounce back when we were relegated.

Teams recently have been promoted to the Prem without spending heavily. Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea.

You talk about the real world, we have a real world example of Portsmouth and their financial mismanagement. Will they follow Plymouth down the leagues?

Moyes took Everton to the Champions League, ffs! Everton.

He's done a cracking job there, had them continuously punching above their weight for years.

Wasn't it only the qualifying rounds though PR so technically not actually the Champion's League?

RE financial situation though - I don't think anyone (well I certainly am not) is actually worried or losing any sleep over it, just well aware that it is not a sustainable method of running a football club, especially in such changing times.

Also, apart from QPR, who took 4 seasons and look like coming straight back down, how many teams have got promoted using the spend sh*t loads method as opposed to the slow and steady building that has seen so many successful teams over the years?

Trying my hardest to leave aside my dislike of NP,

I am curious. Do you dislike Nigel or do you simply think he is a bad manager?
There is a difference. I think Peter Taylor was a bad manager but he seems a good man.
I think Martin Allen was a bad manager and a thoroughly unpleasant character.

Are the loans to the club directly from King Power? If they are, for what reason would the owners want to walk away.

Are the loans to the club directly from King Power? If they are, for what reason would the owners want to walk away.

They won't, but they can, and will at some point, call in those loans with interest

I am curious. Do you dislike Nigel or do you simply think he is a bad manager?
There is a difference. I think Peter Taylor was a bad manager but he seems a good man.
I think Martin Allen was a bad manager and a thoroughly unpleasant character.

A bit of both. I do think that Pearson rules by bullying and cannot handle mature talent but my main concern is that Pearson is the manager to which a club turns when there is no money and relegation threatens. I do not see him building a talented team to challenge for promotion.

A bit of both. I do think that Pearson rules by bullying and cannot handle mature talent but my main concern is that Pearson is the manager to which a club turns when there is no money and relegation threatens. I do not see him building a talented team to challenge for promotion.

Even though he has done it 3 times before?

The Old Fox said:

What evidence is there for that exactly? He won league one with us with a lot of mature talent- Oakley, Berner, brown, Howard. Why would you say that? He's challenged for promotion a few times, as MB says. Your post has no substance!

What evidence is there for that exactly? He won league one with us with a lot of mature talent- Oakley, Berner, brown, Howard. Why would you say that? He's challenged for promotion a few times, as MB says. Your post has no substance!

I was asked, I gave my opinion. The proof of the pudding will be in what happens next season, always assuming that the board give Pearson the chance.

I was asked, I gave my opinion. The proof of the pudding will be in what happens next season, always assuming that the board give Pearson the chance.

Don't want you to feel like you're being ganged up on here, but what leads you to believe that the owners are particularly trigger happy?

The only managers they have dismissed are Sousa and Sven. Sousa needed to go, the amount of damage he did to a side that were play-off semi finalists in the previous season was crazy, some of the performances under him were genuinely distressing, Pompey springs to mind... So I think they were right to pull the trigger in that instance.

With Sven, he was given a fair amount of time - he didn't achieve promotion in his first half season after heavy backing and instead of sacking him, the owners backed him heavily once again in bringing in his own players and only sacked him when it was clear that we weren't getting the level of results that they deemed their investment required.

I personally think Pearson will be here for the start of next season and will only be dismissed if it becomes clear that we aren't progressing in our challenge for promotion.

All in all, I think they've been fairly patient considering the amount of money that's been spent.

Don't want you to feel like you're being ganged up on here, but what leads you to believe that the owners are particularly trigger happy?

The only managers they have dismissed are Sousa and Sven. Sousa needed to go, the amount of damage he did to a side that were play-off semi finalists in the previous season was crazy, some of the performances under him were genuinely distressing, Pompey springs to mind... So I think they were right to pull the trigger in that instance.

With Sven, he was given a fair amount of time - he didn't achieve promotion in his first half season after heavy backing and instead of sacking him, the owners backed him heavily once again in bringing in his own players and only sacked him when it was clear that we weren't getting the level of results that they deemed their investment required.

I personally think Pearson will be here for the start of next season and will only be dismissed if it becomes clear that we aren't progressing in our challenge for promotion.

All in all, I think they've been fairly patient considering the amount of money that's been spent.

I don't understand how anyone can describe owners who have sacked 2 managers in less than 2 seasons of ownership as 'fairly patient'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669