Post Match Reading 3 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who don't attend it would be easy to assume we are going backwards. But for those who do attend, the performances, in general, have been much improved.

Fair comment Matt, but the results are more important than the performance and these simply haven't been good enough. When Pearson was appointed as Sven's replacement, I wasn't convinced that he was the one to take us up. Nothing so far has convinced me otherwise. I will be surprised, from what I've seen so far, if he's still here come Christmas.

We were are further into the season and so gaps between places widen, it happens every year. For those of you who don't attend it would be easy to assume we are going backwards. But for those who do attend, the performances, in general, have been much improved.

I've been to every match and don't think there is a major improvement in the performance, we are very one dimensional now, long ball football. It must be the easiest gig ever for opposing managers to scout us....'keep them in at the back, they'll pass back to the keeper then punt it long to the forwards who aren't big or particularly good in the air.... pressure the midfield and they'll eventually knock it back or long to the forwards..... Occasionally they'll get it down the wings but usually only one forward will be in the middle'

Maybe I was spoilt by Micky Adams but I struggle to call what we play now 'long ball' football.

Now is the time for the rest of the season to see if some of the Academy boys can take a step up and save some checks being written in the summer. There are apparently some good prospects here so let's give them a chance and see what they can do. There certainly won't be the same attitude and egos that are being shown by some playing week in week out. Even if they can't take the step up at least there will be passion and players who are proud to pull on the shirt and will give everything they have for the cause. There certainly needs to be a big clean out in the summer and a team put together that fights week in and week out no matter whether we are playing West Ham or Watford.

Now is the time for the rest of the season to see if some of the Academy boys can take a step up and save some checks being written in the summer. There are apparently some good prospects here so let's give them a chance and see what they can do. There certainly won't be the same attitude and egos that are being shown by some playing week in week out. Even if they can't take the step up at least there will be passion and players who are proud to pull on the shirt and will give everything they have for the cause. There certainly needs to be a big clean out in the summer and a team put together that fights week in and week out no matter whether we are playing West Ham or Watford.

I suppose the positive is that Pearson has the luxury of being able to focus on building for next season without any fear of falling into the relegation zone. The problem is that people are fed up and if he loses too many matches then he may bite the dust. Fear is big factor in football management and this is a tough league. It would great to give the kids a chance but a big risk (to Pearson) too. I'll be surprised if he is up for that risk at this stage. Much depends on the next two games. If we were to lose to Birmingham and lose badly at Stamford Bridge then unless Pearson can make some compelling statements about intent then I fear new instability.

Football is all about the unexpected and maybe we will get a lift from Chelsea game. I can't see it but it's the sort of thing that has happened before.

Yesterday was just a case of coming up against a very good team.

We were no great shakes of course, and there's plenty of things to go away and think about, but as others have said I fully expected to come away with nothing yesterday.

The desperation which led to long balls being played up to Beckford was the most concerning, and the seeming thought that if we're going to resort to that, we may as well bring on Howard, even though said delivery was being lofted nowhere near JB.

Why Drinkwater was played out on the right when he's perfectly suited to playing in the central position is beyond me and it didn't work.

While we lost so meekly and poorly yesterday it's pretty certain we won't be getting stuffed by Chelsea next week. They'll certainly raise their game for that, and if they do then it begs the question as to why, with the play-offs still in (slight) sight before yesterday, they can't get themselves up for the crunch matches this month had to offer.

Disappointed but not surprised.

They'll certainly raise their game for [the game against Chelsea], and if they do then it begs the question as to why, with the play-offs still in (slight) sight before yesterday, they can't get themselves up for the crunch matches this month had to offer.

No, it doesn't.

Why do people use expressions they don't understand?

I suppose the positive is that Pearson has the luxury of being able to focus on building for next season without any fear of falling into the relegation zone. The problem is that people are fed up and if he loses too many matches then he may bite the dust.

Trying my hardest to leave aside my dislike of NP, I will be surprised if he is here for the start of next season. NP is not foolish, his remit was promotion this season. He will know that his job is on the line and that a considerable improvement in results between now and season end might just save him. I am sure that Pearson will play his best team and push for the maximum return from each game.

I am not saying that he should have got us promoted but, that the board will see this as failure.

Last edited:
it's pretty certain we won't be getting stuffed by Chelsea next week. They'll certainly raise their game for that
Disappointed but not surprised.

Its not certain to me. I always thought that the quarter final draw was easy for Chelsea and a rotten draw for us.

At this moment I wouldn't know where the sort of performance required to get a result is going to come from. I live in hope on this one but it will take Chelsea to play badly and/ or our players to show a level of commitment, energy and be at the top of their games in order to do anything.

A season of "If only's!".

The teams above us are helping us out, if we can't help ourselves, what's the point?

I use to be like a bear with a sore head for a few days after a City defeat, nowadays I'm nonplussed.

After the great 60's, we had flirtations with success in the 70's & 80's. Then we had the great 90's followed by.........Only 8 years to wait :(

Trying my hardest to leave aside my dislike of NP, I will be surprised if he is here for the start of next season. NP is not foolish, his remit was promotion this season. He will know that his job is on the line and that a considerable improvement in results between now and season end might just save him. I am sure that Pearson will play his best team and push for the maximum return from each game.

I am not saying that he should have got us promoted but, that the board will see this as failure.

I think you are off the mark re Pearson going. Someone has correctly already remarked that when the owners got shut of Sven and brought in a completely different style of manager it was next to inevitable that we wouldn't get promotion this season. Of course if we were to go on a losing run then Pearson like any other manager will be at risk but I think Pearson's remit was actually to sort out the mess left by Sven who was ineffectual as he has been for years now and woefully off course in player acquisitions. My bet is that Pearson's other remit is to try to help the club towards greater financial sustainability. The owners have been totally naive about Championship football but even they must by now have worked out that the most likely way out of the division is as much about organisation and commitment and not about Sven touting around for' name' players who didnt want to come here and then chucking silly money at other players when he couldn't deliver on the 'big names'

I think you are off the mark re Pearson going. Someone has correctly already remarked that when the owners got shut of Sven and brought in a completely different style of manager it was next to inevitable that we wouldn't get promotion this season. Of course if we were to go on a losing run then Pearson like any other manager will be at risk but I think Pearson's remit was actually to sort out the mess left by Sven who was ineffectual as he has been for years now and woefully off course in player acquisitions. My bet is that Pearson's other remit is to try to help the club towards greater financial sustainability. The owners have been totally naive about Championship football but even they must by now have worked out that the most likely way out of the division is as much about organisation and commitment and not about Sven touting around for' name' players who didnt want to come here and then chucking silly money at other players when he couldn't deliver on the 'big names'

Don't be stupid, the owners are only one loss away from sacking the manager and pulling out leaving us in administration and with bad monkey aids. We all know this because we made it up and so it must be true.

Their second and third goals were both down the left with Peltier getting beaten by his man. We really need to address this area next season.

I hope you are correct; any manager deserves eighteen months, as a minimum. Sadly, I think you may be wrong.... I guess that time will tell.

I hope you are correct; any manager deserves eighteen months, as a minimum. Sadly, I think you may be wrong.... I guess that time will tell.

Why will he be wrong? Sven had a good chance to prove himself, these owners don't gave a record of over-reacting.

Why will he be wrong? Sven had a good chance to prove himself, these owners don't gave a record of over-reacting.

I think people have very unjust opinions of the Thai owners. We've not seen anything from them to suggest they're anything but 100% committed to the club's cause so far.

I think people have very unjust opinions of the Thai owners. We've not seen anything from them to suggest they're anything but 100% committed to the club's cause so far.

I agree. Whilst I think Sven was perhaps sacked a little too early, he certainly got longer than he would have got at a lot of other clubs.

I think the timing of the change, with us on the fringes of the playoffs at the time, suggest the owners were hopefull that changing manager could make the difference that would see us get promoted this season. While i'm sure Pearson would have made it clear there were no guarantees, i'd be amazed if his instructions weren't to get us promoted this season if at all possible. Given that we are falling short by some way, i would be worried if i were Pearson.

I personally believe that Pearson will have us up there next season if given the chance.

The Thai owners have no experience of running this type of business, they are used to buying 100% exclusivity businesses and running them at a profit with no competition, they may or may not be committed to the club (it is noticeable that all the investment is in the form of club debt) but they are probably out of their depth and haven't surrounded themselves with 'experienced football people'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669