Real Ale

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxfox

With all the talk of Doom Bar I thought I'd start a real ale thread (dont think anyones done one of these before)

To start...

I had a bottle of Nottingham's Harvest Pale last night. I bought it at ASDA Oadby and it was lovely.
Much better than the rank pint of stale Beacon I downed at the Robert Peel before hand.

I like to try loads of different real ales but one that I tried recently and really liked was Oakhams Green Devil IPA, at 6% it was a bit much the day before I ran a half marathon and I'm blaming my time on it. 10-50 is a good pint you often get in the real ale pubs in Leicester, nice 5% pint.

Follow @swan_and_rushes on Twitter get updates on what they are serving.

Tribute is also a fantastic pint.

Just about to mention tribute! Went to Cornwall a few years ago just after I turned 18 and couldn't get enough of the stuff.

I had a couple of pints of Black Sheep last night. The only benefit of living in Southwell is the number and varity of pubs.

Last edited:
Does that mean you've stopped blaming me for running too slowly?

Besides, you got a new PB!

Never blamed you, said maybe I should go at my own rate that's all, women!

When I can get some 'Poachers Choice' I am a happy old man. Plenty of flavours in there. Wonderful.

Also, for some reason I find Timothy Taylors 'Landlord' an excellent pint. And it is a (strong) Pale Ale.

Love trying the guest ales whenever I go to the pub.

I find the bottled versions in supermarkets a bit of a let down though so I've started brewing my own to see if it's any more enjoyable.

Tim Taylor is very nice. Inferno, which is served up in the Slug & Lettuce is decent too. Any of the Langtons offerings tend to go down very quickly.

The Wetherspoons festivals are very good if you get a chance to visit one.

Never tried Doombar...

Last edited:
I had some Doombar on holiday a few years back and thought it was crap. Really don't know what the fuss is about.

As Orifice says Tim Taylors is excellent.

I enjoy Doombar, but Tribute is one of the best.

Rhydal will be here in a minute to point out the stick he got for a similar red wine thread....

The Offie in Clarendon Park is well worth a visit every now and then. A bit expensive but the owner does do his homework.

What is the fuss with Doombar out of interest? Cornish beer right? Had a mate called Sharp so "Sharp's Doom bar" became a bit of a saying.

Tend to drink John Squires here, or Monteiths. Miss a decent ale from back home, been a while now. sigh.....

Absolutely love UBU by Purity I think, Delicious.

Timothy Taylor is also an absolute cracker, luckily my local has just got it on tap along with Abbots Ale.

I enjoy Doombar, but Tribute is one of the best.

Rhydal will be here in a minute to point out the stick he got for a similar red wine thread....

Not me sir. I'm happy just to contribute to another subject close to my heart, especially this week after spending a few days in Dorset drinking my favourite beer in the world.....Palmer's Tally Ho!. What a delicious pint of dark liquorice nectar. I very much like their Best Bitter, and the 200 also, but there's nothing to touch the dark stuff. Special mention for Otter Ale which I sampled for the first time this week. Not a bad drop.

Next in my table of beers is Brodie's Prime from the Hawkshead Brewery. Again a darker ale, quite nutty too. Had a lovely afternoon in the Tower Bank Arms knocking them back with stew and dumplings.

Have to say I'm not a big fan of Cornish beers. Have drunk them in Cornwall and they get a big meh from this Welsh judge.

Abbot is a nice pint, especially in the Crown in Tenby (I find Weatherspoon's tend to serve their beer too cold), although I prefer their Reserve which usually makes an appearance around autumn.

Wadsworth's 6X is always a excellent pint in the Butchers in the village(have you tried this Glyn?).

Black Sheep is very nice, and the Rigwelter too. Sampled them in York and was very taken with them.

Of course I've never been a big fan of drinking beers that have travelled any significant distance which is why my regular tipple is either Brains Bitter or SA. Occassionally get tempted by Bulmastiff Son of a Bitch, but that's falling down water.

Do you guys not like Everard's? I found the Tiger to be quite agreeable when I was up that way last.

I suppose I should confess my liking for Tomos Watkin OSB too, despite its origins.

Not me sir. I'm happy just to contribute to another subject close to my heart, especially this week after spending a few days in Dorset drinking my favourite beer in the world.....Palmer's Tally Ho!. What a delicious pint of dark liquorice nectar. I very much like their Best Bitter, and the 200 also, but there's nothing to touch the dark stuff. Special mention for Otter Ale which I sampled for the first time this week. Not a bad drop.

Next in my table of beers is Brodie's Prime from the Hawkshead Brewery. Again a darker ale, quite nutty too. Had a lovely afternoon in the Tower Bank Arms knocking them back with stew and dumplings.

Have to say I'm not a big fan of Cornish beers. Have drunk them in Cornwall and they get a big meh from this Welsh judge.

Abbot is a nice pint, especially in the Crown in Tenby (I find Weatherspoon's tend to serve their beer too cold), although I prefer their Reserve which usually makes an appearance around autumn.

Wadsworth's 6X is always a excellent pint in the Butchers in the village(have you tried this Glyn?).

Black Sheep is very nice, and the Rigwelter too. Sampled them in York and was very taken with them.

Of course I've never been a big fan of drinking beers that have travelled any significant distance which is why my regular tipple is either Brains Bitter or SA. Occassionally get tempted by Bulmastiff Son of a Bitch, but that's falling down water.

Do you guys not like Everard's? I found the Tiger to be quite agreeable when I was up that way last.

I suppose I should confess my liking for Tomos Watkin OSB too, despite its origins.

Ponce.

Absolutely love Tiger, drink far to much of the stuff down the Cricket club. You can get a cracking pint of Tiger In Barrow Upon Soar, cannot remember the name of the pub.

Does anyone still drink Ruddles?
I've not seen any for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673