Real Ale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone still drink Ruddles?
I've not seen any for a while.

People may well be drinking something with a Ruddles label on it but the brewery at Langham was closed years ago. It's now brewed in Suffolk by Greene King along with Old Speckled Hen, originally brewed in Abingdon. This relabelling of beers is something that would never happen to a single malt whiskey where the nature of the water is considered integral to the final product. Boddingtons is another fine brew that is now tasteless pap brewed god knows where but I bet it's not in Manchester!

I would endorse the earlier comments re. Tim Taylors and Black Sheep, both excellent beers. I would add Batemans, try XXXB, and Jennings to the list. I would suggest that people also try their local micro-breweries who produce small quantities of usually excellent beers. Local to me are Phipps and Frog Island in Northampton and Hopping Mad in Olney.

This relabelling of beers is something that would never happen to a single malt whiskey where the nature of the water is considered integral to the final product. Boddingtons is another fine brew that is now tasteless pap brewed god knows where but I bet it's not in Manchester!

Apropos of continental beers brewed under license in some megacomplex in Luton, its claimed that they "adjust" the water composition with additives to replicate the original source.

So bascially to make Fosters someone pisses in it.

Last edited:
Does anyone still drink Ruddles?
I've not seen any for a while.

For some reason I've gone off Ruddles recently. Not sure quite why, I used to really enjoy it. Although that's from bottles, haven't seen it on tap much.

Have to say I'm not a big fan of Cornish beers. Have drunk them in Cornwall and they get a big meh from this Welsh judge.

I had some splendid pints in Cornwall. Betty Scoggs was a favourite, along with the Tribute.

Wadsworth's 6X is always a excellent pint in the Butchers in the village(have you tried this Glyn?)

Not been in the Butchers for many years but do enjoy a pint of 6X, they serve it in the Beefeater round here.

Black Sheep is very nice, and the Rigwelter too. Sampled them in York and was very taken with them.

A bit of a family favourite this one for us. Would recommend this if you enjoy walking, and real ale.

For some reason I've gone off Ruddles recently. Not sure quite why, I used to really enjoy it. Although that's from bottles, haven't seen it on tap much.
As previously mentioned, it's now brewed by Greene King and is therefore very ordinary, like all their beers these days, they've really gone downhill IMO. On a happier note I was in Bishop's Stortford last night and had a few Hurricanes, brewed by the Buntingford Brewery. Excellent stuff.

Last edited:
Do you guys not like Everard's? I found the Tiger to be quite agreeable when I was up that way last.

Does that class as real ale? I'm probably wrong, but that always struck me as just a typical brewed in an industrial swimming pool type chemical pop

Does that class as real ale? I'm probably wrong, but that always struck me as just a typical brewed in an industrial swimming pool type chemical pop

I'd agree with that, imo everards beers aren't all that good and tiger is the worst on offer.

Incidentally, doom bar is a sand bank in the camel estuary between rock (where it's brewed) and padstow

Corporation in Canton has it. Tastes like muddy piss.

Theakstons Old Peculier anyone?
Lovely.

I absolutely love OP, but mainly for the winter months. I stock up from October onwards.

Speaking of seasonal habits, I've very much taken to drinking a pint of cold Crabbies Ginger ale on a sunny day. One is usually enough before moving onto something else, given how sweet it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669