Real Ale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doom Bar is not kept well at O'Neills in town.
I've gone right off O'Neills in general. Microwave food, expensive beer and woefully overcrowded. Doom Bar not my favourite also.

Had a couple of pints of Dark Side from Bath Ales on Friday sandwiched between a session on the Brains. Very tasty. Impressive.

Just had a bottle of Marstons Pedigree, which I'm slighty going off, followed by a Waggle Dance (Wells) which tasted better when I had it draft a while back. The search continues......

I've gone right off O'Neills in general. Microwave food, expensive beer and woefully overcrowded. Doom Bar not my favourite also.

Had a couple of pints of Dark Side from Bath Ales on Friday sandwiched between a session on the Brains. Very tasty. Impressive.

Just had a bottle of Marstons Pedigree, which I'm slighty going off, followed by a Waggle Dance (Wells) which tasted better when I had it draft a while back. The search continues......

We said the same thing. Considering it is only O'Neills, the food is now far too expensive for the same quality.

Am I the only one that is completely underwhelmed by the bottled versions that you get from the supermarket?

I've actually started making my own, more enjoyable usually and quite fulfilling.

I spent last week down in Brixham in Devon.

I probably stayed in one pub, the "Hole In The Wall", a little bit too long as I can't remember what I was drinking but it was nice! I also found a pub doing Jennings' Cocky Blonde which was very nice indeed and I managed to down a few pints of Tribute from St Austell Brewery.

I must admit it was a rather nice part of the world with some very nice friendly hostelries, especially the aforementionted Hole In The Wall, tiny pub full of charecter, really friendly and free juke box.

Speaking of holes in the wall (if your after a story about cottaging stop reading now), Bridge 61 at Foxton Locks has always got a decent Langtons pint on - unsurprisingly always Inclined Plain or Bridge 61. He's also usually got Adnams Broadside on too. If you get a 4 pint jug it'll only set you back £10. The Foxton Locks Inn usually has a good few ales on, but its full of tourists and eaters and you've to check your change.

I spent last week down in Brixham in Devon.

I probably stayed in one pub, the "Hole In The Wall", a little bit too long as I can't remember what I was drinking but it was nice! I also found a pub doing Jennings' Cocky Blonde which was very nice indeed and I managed to down a few pints of Tribute from St Austell Brewery.

I must admit it was a rather nice part of the world with some very nice friendly hostelries, especially the aforementionted Hole In The Wall, tiny pub full of charecter, really friendly and free juke box.

It's a nice little place isn't it SJN? We used to run events down there each year and some of my mates used to come down too so we could make a weekend of it. Nice little harbour with some old school pubs, feels like stepping back in time a bit. We all still talk about how we miss it now that I don't have events there. Thanks for reminding me though, it's a place that I had some really good times.

The Offie on Clarendon park road is highly recommended by Lazzer jnr for all you real ale fans. 100's of different beers. The guy who runs it is quite the expert and will talk to you all night if you let him.

The Offie on Clarendon park road is highly recommended by Lazzer jnr for all you real ale fans. 100's of different beers. The guy who runs it is quite the expert and will talk to you all night if you let him.

Hes got a very good selection. The co-ops in Harborough and corby have an excellent selection of local beers. Nearly all from rutland and northants including beers from Hoggys and Grainstore

Just opened a bottle of Batemans XXXB and I can confirm that it is going down very nicely.

I think that Leicester City have just got hold of some Whitbread. I've not had a pint of their stuff for ages.

Did someone mention Brewdog earlier in the thread? On my first ever Brew Dog right now - Hardcore IPA 9.2%! Nice but im steaming after half!!!

I MUST find some Brewdog Tokyo. And a quiet room with soft furnishings.
18.2% !?!

Purity Pure UBU is the latest offering. A very nice drop. Next in the queue, Theakston's Masham Glory.

Purity Pure UBU is the latest offering. A very nice drop.

A beer I have talked about previously in the thread, top quality stuff, fantastic on tap and still nice in the bottle.

A beer I have talked about previously in the thread, top quality stuff, fantastic on tap and still nice in the bottle.
Yep, best of the 4 for £6 Tesco deal so far. The Masham Glory was a bit too flowery for my taste.
Currently quaffing Thwaites Very Nutty Black 'Export Strength'. I think an e-mail to Trade Descriptions is in order as it's neither very nutty nor strong.
I expect that won't be the case with the Bengal Lancer, up next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669