Real Madrid Club de Fútbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

5:15pm kick-off to see footballing genius Nuri Sahin and a little team from Madrid play at the King Power stadium... :icon_wink

Last edited:
I just googled it. Injured! :icon_cry:

Last edited:
If the Real Madrid Life President Alfredo Di Stefano is travelling with the team then he will be probably the greatest footballer to ever set foot in Leicester - with apologies to all the other greats who have played here. For someone of my generation the name Real Madrid brings back memories of IMO the greatest team of all time.

In the 1950s TV "live" football games were rare on television and therefore more special than today. The first five European cupfinals were all won by Real Madrid. The 1960 final was the greatest. Eintracht were a real test having defeated Rangers 6-1 and 6-3 in the semi final (I think) and Scottish football in those days was far stronger than today. Real Madrid won 7-3. Di Stefano who had scored in every European cup final scored a hattrick but was outdone by his friend Puskas who scored four. In the days before Pele Di Stefano was regarded as being the best player in the world and Pele still gives Di Stefano that title.

I realise that Di Stefano and Puskas (who is sadly dead) will not be playing on Saturday but I post this to explain why for some people Real Madrid have a status above that of Barca or Man U.

Eintracht were a real test having defeated Rangers 6-1 and 6-3 in the semi final (I think) and Scottish football in those days was far stronger than today. Real Madrid won 7-3. Di Stefano who had scored in every European cup final scored a hattrick but was outdone by his friend Puskas who scored four. In the days before Pele Di Stefano was regarded as being the best player in the world and Pele still gives Di Stefano that title.

I saw that game on ESPN classic a couple of years ago, I thought Gento was the best player in that much, not di Stefano or Puskas.

Bobby Charlton always says di Stefano was the best player he ever saw as well.

I saw that game on ESPN classic a couple of years ago, I thought Gento was the best player in that much, not di Stefano or Puskas.

Bobby Charlton always says di Stefano was the best player he ever saw as well.

I don't know how Gento would compare with modern players but by the standards of the time he was unbelievably fast. I remember in the 1950s him being compared with Matthews (Gento played on the left and Matthews on the right). It was generally accepted at the time that Gento was the fastest ever winger but Matthews (also very fast) was the better crosser.

The Real Madrid players were paid £637 for winning the European Cup at a time when Bobby Charlton perhaps the best English player in 1960 was on the maximum wage of £20 a week. I wonder what bonus Ronaldo and Kaka will get if they win the Champions League this season.

Yeah, but David, would they have been as good on a wet December night against Stoke? As we all know that is the great bastion against which all football sides much be measured.

Last edited:
Any news on which channels will be showing the match? Need to find a stream as the kids still can't believe we are playing Real Madrid! :)

Anyone going to the Fan Village before hand??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363