Real Madrid Club de Fútbol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that you I saw in Leicester Museum or week or so ago then? I vaguely recognised you because one of us added the other on FB for some reason. You were with a pregnant lady. And in the city of Leicester. I tells ya I'm like fecking Poirot sometimes.

I was there so very much could be, stalker!

I accept that. Although I have to admit that I have never heard of Nuri Sahin, so the comment went over my head.

He used to play for Borussia Dortmund who are my second team, until Real Madrid signed him this summer.

Diving when not touched at all is cheating - Ronaldo (and others) dive and cheat. Gamesmanship is different from cheating because it employs legal methods of gaining an advantage. The difference between Gamesmanship and Cheating is similar to the difference between Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion - neither is to be admired but only one of them is illegal.

Although I'm unlikely to boo Waghorn, Howard, Dyer or Wellens, I can see plenty of reason not to admire them - although I do think that only two of them cheat; the other two (and many more) resorting only to gamemanship. I am happy for supporters of other teams to boo them.

Hypothetical example: It's the 90th minute of final game of the season, we are 1-0 down, needing to draw to get promotion. We get a penalty thanks to a Leicester player "cheating" and diving in the box. Gallagher then steps up and scores, promoting Leicester to the Premier League.

Would you be glad that we "cheated" in this instance or not? Would you advocate the "cheating" in this instance? Would you not be happy we got promoted because of how it came about? Or is diving an evil which should be despised in every possible instance and which players should be hated for? Would you advocate us being banned from going up as we "cheated" our way up and surely cheating should not be allowed to prosper?

Last edited:
Hypothetical example: It's the 90th minute of final game of the season, we are 1-0 down, needing to draw to get promotion. We get a penalty thanks to a Leicester player "cheating" and diving in the box. Gallagher then steps up and scores, promoting Leicester to the Premier League.

Would you be glad that we "cheated" in this instance or not? Would you advocate the "cheating" in this instance? Would you not be happy we got promoted because of how it came about? Or is diving an evil which should be despised in every possible instance and which players should be hated for? Would you advocate us being banned from going up as we "cheated" our way up and surely cheating should not be allowed to prosper?

I'd be pleased that we got promotion but not pleased with the actual circumstances in this hypothetical last minute. I suppose I would reconcile it in the fact that these things tend to even themselves out over the season.

Hang on though - you've started using words like 'evil' and 'hatred' - I was only taking about not admiring such behaviour and a bit of booing. Of course I wouldn't advocate that we should be banned from going up; we would in any case be 'prospering' only for a year (or maybe two) before coming back down again.
:icon_wink

Just seen Sean St Ledger broken down on the m69 island. His bentley was missing a wheel which was in the middle of the roundabout.

Just saw the cheating discussion and I accept, if not endorse, every attempt at diving. Winning and providing entertainment are things far more important than fair play to me.* I remember a few years back an English player in Serie A (can't remember who but there haven't been too many) had an opportunity to go down in the penalty area but chose not too, and he was absolutely slated by the chairman who thought that players have an obligation to do whatever there is in their power to win the match for their team. I fully understand that view; the players are paid a lot of money as a direct consequence of the sums of money involved in football these days, and if a club loses all that because a player chooses to take a higher moral stance in a sport that has a lot to do with money and very little to do with moral, I can definitely see why chairman would get upset.

I think it's the referee's job to see through this though, and punish those that do not master the art (=get exposed).

*For the very same reason I would love to see Joey Barton in a Leicester shirt, even though he seems to be a despicable person.

Last edited:
I recall seeing Paulo Di Canio playing against Everton. The Everton 'keeper was on the deck injured, a cross came into the box, Di Canio just needed to nod it in. However, having spotted the goalie on the floor injured he chose to catch the ball in order that the goalkeeper could recieve treatment. He recieved a standing ovation from the Everton fans and a FIFA fair play award at the end of the season.

That, to me, was one of the great sporting moments. The "win at all costs, money is everything" attitude is what's wrong with football and is why it will never go back to being the game it once was.

I recall seeing Paulo Di Canio playing against Everton. The Everton 'keeper was on the deck injured, a cross came into the box, Di Canio just needed to nod it in. However, having spotted the goalie on the floor injured he chose to catch the ball in order that the goalkeeper could recieve treatment. He recieved a standing ovation from the Everton fans and a FIFA fair play award at the end of the season.

That, to me, was one of the great sporting moments. The "win at all costs, money is everything" attitude is what's wrong with football and is why it will never go back to being the game it once was.

Yes I remember that game. He did the correct thing. This is discussion is especially relevant given Ian Bell's recent dismissal and subsequent reinstating at Trent Bridge. Everyone is incredibly happy that Cricket is being officiated, and played, 'in the spirit of the game'. Football should be ruled and played in this spirit too.

All these foreigners bringing cheating into the game. The game was better in my day. In my day, players were players and ate steel nails for breakfast and would rather take a bullet through the eye than go down in the penalty area under no contact to win their team promotion. etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669