Record Signing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that Taylor had the choice of signing either Akinbiyi for £5 million or Eidur Gudjohnsen for £4 million, and he chose Akinbiyi. If it's true, it could be one of the worst managerial decisions of all time!

The one I heard about Gudjohnsen was when Arnar Gunnlaugsson took his beanie hat off at the photocall after signing for us from Bolton for £2m, MON hissed "We've signed the wrong fecking striker"

One player who was a British Record signing for City was Alan Clarke, he cost a mere £100,000 how times have changed.

Helped us on our way to the FA Cup final (and relegation), though causing disruption on the way. Was then after a single season sold for £150,000 (once again a British record).

Last edited:
Value for money, for me, would be Walshie.

Think we paid 100k (would need checking) and got 10 years of committed service. With a couple of trophies thrown in.

Last edited:
Waghorn was over 1 million wasn't he?

I was reading something the other day about premiership clubs, and value for money. Included in this was how much transfer fees would be valued at today.

If Heskey was sold today for the £11 million we got that would equate to £26 million, whereas Izzet would still cost less than £2 million.

Man City & Chelsea definately helped out with that one. Muggs of the football world.

They continued the trend but didn't start it, Manchester United did in the nineties. They were regularly paying ridiculous sums of money for players long before anyone else.

Akinbiyi was never a striker...i always thought we should have played him on the right,he had the pace +he was strong,and would of been a real handfull.

I really felt sorry for the lad he always tried his best...yet because we paid all that money...he was always the scapegoat.

Akinbiyi never a striker?

He scored goals pre City and post City. He just wasn't good enough for the Premiership.

Helped us on our way to the FA Cup final (and relegation), though causing disruption on the way. Was then after a single season sold for £150,000 (once again a British record).

I think it was a bit more than the £100k quoted on this thread - maybe £150K and the selling fee to Leeds possibly £165k.

The main one I remember kicking it all off in Britain was Newcastle spending £15million on that scumbag Shearer.

The previous British record was £6.5million less when Collymore went from Forest to Liverpool. Up until then it had been steadily rising.

I think it was a bit more than the £100k quoted on this thread - maybe £150K and the selling fee to Leeds possibly £165k.

Mea culpa. You are perfectly correct. I was misled by the quoted £100k IN fee and extrapolated from there. I knew £150k came into it somewhere. I am an idiot.

fwiw we were involved in one other British record transfer fee - David Nish out to the shaggers, 1972, £225,000(?).

fwiw we were involved in one other British record transfer fee - David Nish out to the shaggers, 1972, £225,000(?).

Not to mention Andy Graver - £38,000 (??) from Lincoln, then a British Record. Sold back to them a year later for about half the fee. Before your time, Boc, but sadly not mine.

Not to mention Andy Graver - £38,000 (??) from Lincoln, then a British Record. Sold back to them a year later for about half the fee. Before your time, Boc, but sadly not mine.

Naaaah. Andy Graver was not a British record. The unusual thing about his transfer was that his fees both IN and OUT of the club were Club records. I think it was about £10k less than you thought - something like £27k IN and £26k OUT. Also unusual in that he came from Lincoln and went back to Lincoln.

Jacky Sewell's transfer to Hillsbrough from (?)Meadow Lane would have been the record at that time.

Last edited:
Naaaah. Andy Graver was not a British record. The unusual thing about his transfer was that his fees both IN and OUT of the club were both Club records. I think it was about £10k less than you thought - something like £27k IN and £26k OUT. Also unusual in that he came from Lincoln and went back to Lincoln.

Jacky Sewell's transfer to Hillsbrough from (?)Meadow Lane would have been the record at that time.

I bow to your superior memory!

Mea culpa. You are perfectly correct. I was misled by the quoted £100k IN fee and extrapolated from there. I knew £150k came into it somewhere. I am an idiot.

While we are correcting things - on relecting, I think Alan Smith may have cost a lot more in total than the £10k I mentioned being paid to Alvechurch. As you probably know, his potential was already quite well known in the Midlands and he had already played for the England 'non-league' team and seen as one who had slipped through the big club scouting system.

On another subject entirely mentioned on this thread - Andy Graver!. A goal scoring machine for Lincoln City - like Rowley had been for us. Unfortunately left in the lower divisions for too long. He stays in my memory as being the player missing the easiest chance for City at Filbert Street. Being charitable it was possibly as much as three yards out in the centre of an open goal at the Spion Kop end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669