released list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the problem with the academy is they pick the biggest strongest players. Thats ok when their 13-16 etc but after that, things like that even out, and its the ones with technical ability who are more likely to make the grade at the higher levels. Clearly needs to be a huge rethink-Stearman and Mattock are the only players who have come through our academy after joining at a young age in recent years, and its not a coincidence both are defenders.

Mattock still hasn't made it yet imo. Still never even really proven himself to be any good at League One level. He could well just end up to be another Levi Porter.

Last edited:
Mattock still hasn't made it yet imo. Still never even really proven himself to be any good at League One level. He could well just end up to be another Levi Porter.

Possibly. But he at least broke into the first team, playing a fairly regular basis before being sold-the same can't be said for Porter, who was never more than a bit part player.

I seem to remember Porter playing quite regularly in one season.

I'd have to agree about our track record of nurturing new talent through our academy, it really has been woeful, Heskey and Lineker are the obvious names from eons ago. I guess we tend to forget about Gradel who has proven himself capable of Championship level but the success stories are too few and far between. Billy Kee was raved about not so long ago bt has been stuck in League 2 football since we released him.

It is sad to see when we have had a relatively successful academy team, just very few work out good enough for our level or higher. Maybe this is the same case for many clubs though. Middlesboro is a club that springs to mind when thinking of academy players coming through to be successful professionally, maybe we should look at how their academy is run and pick up some tips!

Last edited:
I've tried, but I don't get this at all.

I don't see how 'winning things' is not a key requirement of a professional football player.

The academy is full of big players who can bully players at academy level, but don't have the technical ability to step up. We also play a game built around set pieces (I forget who the academy long-throw expert is, but plenty of goals have been scored through him). However, none of these players are technically good enough to make the step up.

We should play a game which builds up players ability, getting them to move into space, learn how to pass etc. instead of just getting them to win by playing a physical, pragmatic game, players don't learn how to become better footballers doing that. Results shouldn't really matter, all that should matter is player development.

The academy simply play to win games at academy level, whereas academies should be about developing players, not winning games.

Oh, you meant the released players rather than those retained. The answer is all of them were on pro terms.

And I entirely agree; our academy seems set up to win games at youth level rather than preparing the lads for senior football. Massive difference.

Quite.

One thing people have to remember is the lack of reserve football at the club. Its a huge jump from the academy to the first team squad, let alone play. We need a reserve side in a proper league, hopefully this will come about with the current owners, its a crucial step from acadamy to the first team.

Joseph Dadoo is the next "big thing" in the youth team apparently...

I'll give him 5 mins in a league cup match.

I thought there were two surprises. Who the **** are Nathan Hicks and Ben Milnes?
Hicks - midfielder.
Milnes - full back.

Not terribly bad footballers, but nowhere near Championship standard. Prediction: decent League Two / Blue Square career for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669