Richard & Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it occurs to me that I can provide flimsy tactical assessments and assert nonexistent interpretations of rules I don't understand. I think I'm more than qualified to fill his shoes. Where do I apply? I wonder if the job details are on the touch screen things down Wellington Street.

Damn read the article wrong, it is Burton who has been dropped from the League Cup game. :icon_redf

She has still been dropped from the game through no fault of her own!

She wasnt dropped, she stepped down because of all of the publicity.

Actually, it occurs to me that I can provide flimsy tactical assessments and assert nonexistent interpretations of rules I don't understand. I think I'm more than qualified to fill his shoes. Where do I apply? I wonder if the job details are on the touch screen things down Wellington Street.

:018: You won't get hired, BM. You're missing one vital ingredient: you have actually realised that football is played to a decent level in other countries too. You see to work at SKY it is essential that you know that the Premier League is "the greatest league in the world" and that, say, if Ronaldo is playing for ManUtd he is "the best player in the world." You see, if there was a certain Argentinian player playing for Barcelona who everyone was raving about, he can't be as good because he doesn't play in the Premier League. And you see, after Ronaldo has left for a foreign club and has been as prolific as ever and probably only improved, he no longer gets mentioned as being "the best player in the world." After that, if Tottenham Hotspur have this Welsh winger who has an excellent performance vs. Inter, that means he must also must be instantly considered "the best player in the world" the following day.

Because the Premier League is "the best league in the world" and football revolves around it, you see.

Last edited:
I deplore the comments by Andy Gray and Richard Keys but I believe the sacking is wrong.

Many of the posts here complain about a lack of understanding of the game. If true that would be a reason to sack them. You expect the people giving "expert analysis" to know what they are talking about. But that was absolutely not the reason they were sacked.

I once had a boss who had a habit of asking "what are you hoping to achieve with that." I would take it that the aim was to make sure that no presenters - Andy Grey, Richard Keys or any of their colleagues/rivals - will come out with sexist remarks again.
That has been achieved. The duo have been publicly criticised by their bosses, by people within football and by the press. They were dropped from their next match together. There is no likelihood of them reoffending and you can be sure that Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson etc will have seen the headlines. No presenter or pundit is going to come out with that kind of remark again.

Two questions occur to me.
Why has Andy Gray been sacked but not Richard Keys.
It cannot be the new material that Sky has suddenly dug up (I wonder which Sky employee ordered a search for that) since that adds nothing new and took place before any reprimand. If they had re-offended that would be different.
Why is The Sun which is not the great bastion of feminism so virulent in its attack on them?

I believe that the decision to sack Andy Gray rather than discipline him like Richard Keys is because Grey had a contract with the Murdoch Empire while taking legal action against it over the phone hacking by the News Of The World.

Yesterdays disciplinary action sent the message that sexism will not be tolerated and that message will have been received and understood throughout football.
Todays sacking has sent the message "Don't mess with Murdoch".

Disagree, David. The fact that Keys was not sacked sends out that message, rather than the fact Gray was sacked. If they were both sacked (as they should have been) then people would not have gotten the impression this has all come out because of Murdoch.

As said though, I'm not bothered, I believe they are both inept at their job and am just glad I won't have to listen to the ramblings of at least one of them again.

Last edited:
Why has Andy Gray been sacked but not Richard Keys.

Keys was on the phone to the bint the very next day offering a full apology, which she accepted

Andy Gray hasn't, presumably because he thinks he has done nothing wrong

He is also a twat

Keys was on the phone to the bint the very next day offering a full apology, which she accepted

Andy Gray hasn't, presumably because he thinks he has done nothing wrong

He is also a twat

And Keys is a Covver. What's the difference :102:

What's your position on Ron Atkinson?

Can I give the quick answer that few people on the forum use -
I really don't know.

At the time I felt it was necessary to sack him. He used a word that is arguably the most offensive in the English language. Feelings on racism were so strong that the story would not have gone away. There had been a sudden influx of black players - it is startling to remember that the great Bloomfield team was all white as were most other teams. You even had at one point the National Front claiming that goals scored for England by John Barnes did not count.

Do I believe Ron Atkinson has learned the lesson and should be back on TV. Yes.
I find him engaging and I want to hear from pundits who have been managers.

There is a major difference between public speech and private speech. I would argue that the sexist comments by Mike Newell for which he was not sacked were far more offensive than the comments by Grey and Keys. Newells comments aimed to stoke up criticism of female officials (all female officials not just the one at his match) among fans and were no doubt intended to be read by the female official involved.

My guess is that another parallel is with Rodney Marsh s controversial pundit but one I enjoyed. Marsh was employed partly for his expertise but also for his humour. He came out with a rather tasteless joke about David Beckham confusing the tsunami with the Toon Army and was sacked. My feeling then and now is that he had crossed someone in the nastiness that is the Murdoch Empire who saw a chance to be rid of him.

As for the latest comments about the attractiveness of the lineswoman. My first thought at the photo of her partying was "That is very nice" but then as Shakespeare said "Old men dream dreams."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00